Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-10, 11:31 AM   #13
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
I have a 260 that I'm going to use for my PhysX card...
That seems excessive. Why not sell it, get a single-slot card that uses either one or no external power connectors, and pocket the difference?

I once again have to pimp the 9800 GT I'm using right now. Single slot, no external power, and a full 112 SPUs.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 12:20 PM   #14
JasonPC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,103
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Silly question- with my 470, IN Batman AA physx is set to normal with no dedicated card and it's perfectly playable with all else maxed at 1680x1050.

Is the physx performance in this title indicative of what to expect in other titles that utilize physx? Would I really need a physx card?

If it does make that much difference, I may have to grab one.
It kind of depends, there are some scenes in Batman AA that use very demanding PhysX effects and other times where it is hardly using any. I think Cryostasis uses more demanding physics just in general. But the scenes in Batman AA where you are up against Scarecrow are pretty demanding, probably just as much as any other physx title. Of course in Ghostbusters they were able to achieve the same type of effects using just CPU physics but whatever....
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 12:30 PM   #15
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
That seems excessive. Why not sell it, get a single-slot card that uses either one or no external power connectors, and pocket the difference?

I once again have to pimp the 9800 GT I'm using right now. Single slot, no external power, and a full 112 SPUs.
Are you saying that I can get the same PhysX performance from a 9800 that I get with a 260?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 12:43 PM   #16
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
It kind of depends, there are some scenes in Batman AA that use very demanding PhysX effects and other times where it is hardly using any. I think Cryostasis uses more demanding physics just in general. But the scenes in Batman AA where you are up against Scarecrow are pretty demanding, probably just as much as any other physx title. Of course in Ghostbusters they were able to achieve the same type of effects using just CPU physics but whatever....
Heh, forgot about Cryostasis

Thanks, I may just snag a 9800GT. I have to admit the physx really does add a lot to the immersion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 12:56 PM   #17
mojoman0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 3,566
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

It seems there are under 10 games that utilize physx enough to want to have it. Batman and Mirror's Edge are the best implementations I've see so far. Not worth a standalone physx card from my point of view, only if you have an extra card lying around, or youre just an enthusiast
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 01:09 PM   #18
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Are you saying that I can get the same PhysX performance from a 9800 that I get with a 260?
Pretty much, yeah. Or at least, the difference in performance is so minuscule as to not be worth the added heat and power consumption between a 260 and the 9800 GT I linked to above.

Here is an article comparing performance in several games, including Cryostasis. They use a GTX 285, GTS 250 (a bit more powerful than a 9800 GT), and 9600 GT as a dedicated PhysX GPU, when paired with identical cards, both in and out of an SLI configuration.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 04:06 PM   #19
snowmanwithahat
Snowy
 
snowmanwithahat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 974
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Silly question- with my 470, IN Batman AA physx is set to normal with no dedicated card and it's perfectly playable with all else maxed at 1680x1050.

Is the physx performance in this title indicative of what to expect in other titles that utilize physx? Would I really need a physx card?

If it does make that much difference, I may have to grab one.
Yes its a good indication of the performance you'll see.... Physx isn't doing alot for games just yet.

I personally only have the 9800 GTX because it was $30 and I use it for other CUDA things
__________________
---Gaming Rig---
Q6600 3.4ghz (378x9) - 1.5v
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 05:17 PM   #20
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
Yes its a good indication of the performance you'll see.... Physx isn't doing alot for games just yet.

I personally only have the 9800 GTX because it was $30 and I use it for other CUDA things
I would like to have a 9800GTX for only $30!

Thanks for elaborating - I thnk I'll just keep my eyes open for a good deal then, no hurry though.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-10, 06:20 PM   #21
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Pretty much, yeah. Or at least, the difference in performance is so minuscule as to not be worth the added heat and power consumption between a 260 and the 9800 GT I linked to above.

Here is an article comparing performance in several games, including Cryostasis. They use a GTX 285, GTS 250 (a bit more powerful than a 9800 GT), and 9600 GT as a dedicated PhysX GPU, when paired with identical cards, both in and out of an SLI configuration.
I saw that article when I was looking at Physx cards. I'd be a bit careful with their results.

For one, they benched Far Cry 2 which doesn't even use Physx, and they actually got differing results at times which leads me to believe they made some errors.

Also, Cryostasis is EXTREMELY heavy on Physx calculations in situations with lots of water, which I highly doubt they took the time to look for judging from their results.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 07:56 PM   #22
snowmanwithahat
Snowy
 
snowmanwithahat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 974
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

Yeh.... what Captn said.... I don't know why they included Far Cry 2, that's not a physx enabled game that I'm aware of.
__________________
---Gaming Rig---
Q6600 3.4ghz (378x9) - 1.5v
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 08:07 PM   #23
WeReWoLf
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,015
Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

It's not, It's an AmbiX enabled game...
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 08:15 PM   #24
JasonPC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,103
Default Re: What is the best dedicated PhysX card?

I think they were testing for the theory that enabling physx lowers performance in non-physx enabled games due to some kind of overhead.

Edit: I installed the GT 240 and while the Fluidmark score is lower than my 8800 I have found that it made no difference in games that use physx. So until games start upping particle counts or using more effects, it seems like even a GT 240 can handle it. I'm liking the lower power consumption and heat of the GT 240 compared to the 8800 plus it came with three free games and a $35 rebate on top of a sale. So it ends up only costing $50.

Last edited by JasonPC; 06-04-10 at 01:21 AM.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.