Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-10, 01:11 PM   #25
adamk75

Default Re: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko and can't find my NVIDIA card?

It is unlikely that nvidia will ever produce a driver that can exist in the kernel at the same time as nouveau (though I'd be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong). While the nvidia driver installer can certainly blacklist nouveau, it can't unload nouveau from the kernel if KMS is in use (at least it can't unload nouveau and leave X and the console usable).

I would be interested in knowing if nvidia somehow plans on dealing with this conflict, though.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 01:19 PM   #26
ant
A GeForced Ant

Question Re: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko and can't find my NVIDIA card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
It is unlikely that nvidia will ever produce a driver that can exist in the kernel at the same time as nouveau (though I'd be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong). While the nvidia driver installer can certainly blacklist nouveau, it can't unload nouveau from the kernel if KMS is in use (at least it can't unload nouveau and leave X and the console usable).

I would be interested in knowing if nvidia somehow plans on dealing with this conflict, though.

Adam
That stinks. I wonder if they will mention it in their documentations. I am sure there are plenty of Debian users and they will run into this.
Old 06-13-10, 01:51 PM   #27
adamk75

Default Re: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko and can't find my NVIDIA card?

It's not just debian. Nouveau is part of the vanilla kernel now, probably enabled as a module by default. Since Ubuntu already forces a reboot when activating proprietary drivers, it will probably just blacklist the nouveau driver as part of the driver manager utility users can use to enable the nvidia driver (assuming it doesn't already). I'm not sure what other distributions will/are doing.

Adam
Old 06-13-10, 01:56 PM   #28
ant
A GeForced Ant

Question Re: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko and can't find my NVIDIA card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
It's not just debian. Nouveau is part of the vanilla kernel now, probably enabled as a module by default. Since Ubuntu already forces a reboot when activating proprietary drivers, it will probably just blacklist the nouveau driver as part of the driver manager utility users can use to enable the nvidia driver (assuming it doesn't already). I'm not sure what other distributions will/are doing.
Ahh. Have there been discussions about this issue in other places beside here for those who want to use NVIDIA's fast, closed binary driver?
Old 06-13-10, 03:16 PM   #29
adamk75

Not that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

Adam