Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-07-10, 04:29 PM   #1
BrianR

Default No video after driver installed

Hello,

I have a System is a new Dell Optiplex 780, running RedHat Enterprise Workstation 5.4 with an nVidia Quadro NVS 420 card installed. When installing the base OS the video shows from the card but is slow. Once the driver is installed (downloaded directly from nVidia) and I run startx the video goes away and the card no longer is active. There is just a black screen and the fan no longer spins on the card.

I have replaced the card with a new one from Dell but I still have the same issue. I have tried re-installing the OS and still no video after the nVidia driver is installed.

The version of the driver is 195.36.24

I have installed the nvidia bug report, installer log, and xorg.conf file (zipped). I'm at a loss and I have a system that is bricked when the driver loads.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (35.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (38.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: zip xorg.zip (629 Bytes, 79 views)
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 08:47 PM   #2
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: No video after driver installed

The driver can't find any displays connected:

Code:
(--) Jun 07 12:49:48 NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on Quadro NVS 420 at PCI:3:0:0:
(--) Jun 07 12:49:48 NVIDIA(0):     none
(EE) Jun 07 12:49:48 NVIDIA(0): No display devices found for this X screen.
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
Note that the NVS 420 has two GPUs on a single board. (You can see both GPUs by looking at lspci.) You only have one GPU configured in xorg.conf. Try the following:

- Configure both GPUs in xorg.conf by running `nvidia-xconfig -a` as root.
- If that doesn't work, try plugging in more monitors, if possible, or changing the connector the monitor is plugged into.

Are you sure the fan is stopping completely? It might just be spinning at a slower speed. Until the driver is loaded, the fan will spin at maximum speed. Once the driver is loaded, it will slow down to an appropriate speed based on the current temperature.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 11:22 AM   #3
BrianR

The card is quad output card and I have 4 lcds attached and none of them show video when I run startx. I did the `nvidia-xconfig -a` as root and still no video shows up.

I have the cover off the system and I can verify that indeed the fan on the card stops spinning as soon as I hit return on startx. The fan never restarts until I reboot the system. After starting x I can ssh into the system from another box but I still never get video on the original system.
Old 06-08-10, 05:12 PM   #4
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Are you still seeing the same failure to detect displays in the X log after configuring both GPUs? Could you generate another nvidia-bug-report.log with this configuration?

What displays are you using? Do you still get the same problem if you have a smaller number of displays connected? Could you provide EDIDs for your displays? (An easy way to get EDIDs is to start X with the vesa driver; the vesa driver will dump the EDIDs into the X log.)
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 01:05 PM   #5
BrianR

After switching all the monitors it came down to a BIOS issue. The virtualization support was on in the BIOS and with that on it tanked the system. Dell has it turned on by default now. Once that was disabled the issue went away.