Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-08-10, 06:37 AM   #1
qube
Bored sins birth

Default X-COM

XCOM is the re-imagining of the classic tale of humanity's struggle against an unknown enemy that puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat. True to the roots of the franchise, players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity - and frailty - against a foe beyond comprehension. By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

http://www.xcom.com/xcom.html

X-Com returns, morphs into an FPS

Though the X-Com series is well-regarded for its tactical, turn-based strategy gameplay, 2K Games has decided to go in a completely different direction with the latest entry in the franchise. Developed by 2K Marin, the team behind BioShock 2, the new X-Com will be a first-person shooter.

"With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this revered franchise," 2K president Christoph Hartmann said. "Players will explore the world of XCOM from an immersive new perspective and experience firsthand the fear and tension of this gripping narrative ride
Aside from a single screenshot, featuring a curiously retro looking spaceship, no actual gameplay details have been revealed at this point. However, on the game's official site, the developers have addressed the series' shift from turn-based strategy to FPS, saying, "By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world."

The game will be coming to the Xbox 360 and PC, though we don't yet have a release window

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...nto-an-fps.ars
Old 06-08-10, 07:20 AM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: X-COM

I like the token gestures toward having X-COM gameplay in XCOM, like building a base and researching tech. Still, it's a shooter, no beating around the bush on that.

Looks like a cool shooter though.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 09:25 AM   #3
Destroy

Hmmmm....doing to Xcom what they did to Fallout, eh? Could be fun but I really don't want another game like Fallout3 with freeze then AP shooting.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 08:41 AM   #4
Destroy

Horrible trailer just out. MY GAWD, what have they done to this game? Where exactly are the Xcom similarities?

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/68582/PC/...3-2010-Trailer

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 08:44 AM   #5
|MaguS|

Ugh, I saw the trailer yesterday. It looked so generic. They could have done so much with the series, even with going FPS.
Old 06-11-10, 06:49 PM   #6
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Ugh, I saw the trailer yesterday. It looked so generic. They could have done so much with the series, even with going FPS.
Yeah.

The sad thing is the PC Gamer preview talks about a lot of innovative mechanics in the game that make it more X-Com-like, but none of them will ever make it into the trailers because generic sells better.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote