Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-09, 10:59 AM   #1
gator123

Question VDPAU 9400GT MPEG2 artifacts

I have posted this before on other threads and have read of others with the same kind of problem. Still no answers.
My myth box is a Asus M2N68-VM motherboard with 4GB of ram and a AM2 5400 CPU. I bought a MSI 9400GT with fan.
I cannot play MPEG2 files without colored blocks appearing.
All Australian TV is MPEG2.
The blocks appear most when there is a scene change. If a scene is mostly blue and the next scene is mostly white there will be a lot of blue blocks. Most fast moving scenes will have these blocks. The blocks sometimes contain a previous scene's graphics in them.
i am using avenards repos on mythbuntu jaunty 64 bit. Nvidia driver 190.18

My mum has the same motherboard in her myth box with the same OS and i just plugged in an Asus 8400GS silent. She does not get the blocks.
If i pause a show and step through a show the blocks appear in the same place. I thought the streams were currupt but,,
If i use standard decoder (ffmpeg) with VDPAU i do not get the blocks.
Even my Bluray MPEG2 movies like IceAge2 show the blocks. All other Blurays such as H264 play perfectly. Thank You.
i have tried all i know to get rid of them. I had seen some PRE EMPT errors but a bios reset may have stopped that. I still get blocks on MPEG2.
I set up a friends Myth box with inbuilt 8200, he does not get blocks
I watched tv today with the blocks appearing and captured the log, the only error i see is
VDPAU nvidia: Error detected 2 195
Is this the cause?
PLEASE Stephen Warren, help me!... log included
Thank you
Steve Walton
P.S i used to go to school with a Stephen Warren in England, but i suspect it is not you.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-debug.log.tar.gz (11.7 KB, 213 views)
gator123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 02:27 PM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: VDPAU 9400GT MPEG2 artifacts

Can you upload a file that demonstrates the problem to the NVIDIA file drop (see VDPAU sticky for details)? Also, can you generate an "nvidia-bug-report" and attach that (see sticky).

Thanks.

P.S. Could be; was it in Billingshurst? I'm sorry I don't recall the name though.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 05:35 PM   #3
gator123

heres the bug report - sorry i didnt post it the first time. As for the MPEG2 file, any MPEG2 file will produce the blocks
ive also tried many times to get sound from my hdmi but have ( almost ) given up. Should it work?

OK ive uploaded a small 5 sec mpeg2 of curious george and a screenshot taken with a camera of the blocks. Hope it helps

P.S no it wasnt in Billingshurst it was in Wallsend
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (32.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 08-04-09, 12:29 PM   #4
Stephen Warren

Hmm. I can't see an issue with that clip on my system. On that clip, do you always see a problem, and is it always in the same place? Do you only see the issue in MythTV, or other applications (e.g. MPlayer)

Do you know which GPU your mother's 8400GS contains?

However, if *all* clips do this, it sounds more like there's a problem with your specific card; maybe it got overheated, or got zapped by static or something like that?
Old 08-04-09, 08:27 PM   #5
gator123

Unhappy Re: VDPAU 9400GT MPEG2 artifacts

Ive tried the exact same clip with mplayer+vdpau and the blocks appear in the exact same place each and every time.
I dont understand why its only MPEG2 - the card will GPU decode MPEG4, H264 and VC1 all day long without any problem at all. It doesnt make any sense.
I'm lucky i can decode MPEG2 with the standard decoder its just a pain for the WAF to keep switching profiles based on the codec
i dont want to get a new card until i'm sure this one is broken.
2 posts on this page reported a similar problem of multi colored blocks - not sure if its the same problem and no answers.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1133165.html

I'm not sure about which chip is in my mums card - i will check at the weekend. Its an Asus 8400GS Silent
In my first post i reported this error:- VDPAU nvidia: Error detected 2 195
whats that about? i take it my debug log did not show anything out of order?

Thanks for your help Stephen
Old 08-04-09, 09:32 PM   #6
Stephen Warren

> VDPAU nvidia: Error detected 2 195

That simply indicates that the overlay-based presentation queue could not be used for some reason (the blit-base PQ is used instead). This is probably completely benign, and even if not, certainly not something I'd imagine could possibly cause your issue.

One thing I have just noticed: You're running a 64-bit OS, whereas I tested on 32-bit. This might possibly make a difference; I'll see if it does...
Old 08-05-09, 04:12 AM   #7
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator123 View Post
I'm not sure about which chip is in my mums card - i will check at the weekend. Its an Asus 8400GS Silent
I'm also using this card (G98) with the 64 bit driver and I'd like to test your sample with MPlayer: Could you upload it to ftp://ffmpeg.org/MPlayer/incoming/ (write only) and report the file name?

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 05:50 AM   #8
gator123

Hi Carl, thank you for the interest in this thread. My mums 8400GS works perfectly but my MSI 9400GT is the one with the problem, and it only has a problem with GPU decoding of MPEG2 videos ( VC1 and H264 have no problems ). If i use the ffmpeg decoder with VDPAU renderer everything works perfectly. I have uploaded a short 2 second clip and a screenshot showing how it looks on my MSI 9400GT... very strange. the filenames are
Curious-george-screenshot.JPG
Curiuos-george-MPEG2.VOB

The other posts in the thread on whirlpool say this :-
"i have a 9500gt and am using the mythtv binaries from that repository however when i select vdpau as the renderer i get image corruption in the form of multicoloured blocks."

and

"I too have this problem with a recently purchased Gainward GeForce 8400GS (http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=94) using Nvidia driver 180.27 and package 0.21.0+fixes19892-openglvdpau-0ubuntu0. I get "macro blocks" watching both HD and SD material in Myth. It's the exact same result as having a bad digital signal"

so i feel i am not alone
Good luck

Old 08-05-09, 07:42 PM   #9
Stephen Warren

I don't see any issues with 64-bit either.
Old 08-07-09, 02:58 PM   #10
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator123 View Post
If i use the ffmpeg decoder with VDPAU renderer everything works perfectly.
Note that currently, FFmpeg does not support VDPAU, MPlayer does (and FFmpeg supports MPlayer's implementation, but has no own - yet).
Quote:
I have uploaded a short 2 second clip and a screenshot showing how it looks on my MSI 9400GT... very strange. the filenames are
Curious-george-screenshot.JPG
Curiuos-george-MPEG2.VOB
No visible artefacts for me on 8400 GT and 9400 GT.
Quote:
The other posts in the thread on whirlpool say this :
I believe this is an old thread describing issues with older driver versions.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 03:03 AM   #11
laffinet

Hi !

I'm experiencing the same problems with liveTV in Australia as the OP.

I'm running Mythbuntu 9.04 32 bit with avenards repos, just upgraded to driver nvidia-glx-190 (from his testing repos), 190.18

My card is a Gainward GT9400, my motherboard is an Asus M2N68-VM.

Any news on this issue ?
laffinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 09:41 AM   #12
bts1000

Same problem here in german cable (MPEG2 stream) with Gainward 9400GT (passive).

I have tested the newest 185 and 190 drivers on Debian Lenny Kernel 2.6.30.4 (xine-vdpau- and mplayer-SVN). Corrupted blocks seems to be decoded already - they look like old memory content.

Sometimes there are minutes with no corruptions and then periods with some blocks every 2 to 10s. Most of the blocks appear in scene changes. I have absolutely no problems with VC1 or H264 encoded streams - deinterlace option does not matter. If I decode the same stream with xv everything is fine. By using mplayer with -vc ffmpeg12 option everything is OK, then with -vc ffmpeg12vdpau the blocks appear.
bts1000 is offline   Reply With Quote