Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-10, 09:41 PM   #1
christophern

Default Consistent hard lockup with 195.36.24 on GeForce6600 when running OpenOffice in KDE

I recently upgraded to 195.36.24 and kernel 2.6.34. However, if I start up openoffice while in KDE 4 (current svn checkout) and then click on any menu item, for instance to open a file, the X server immediately and consistently locks up, spinning hard with 100% of one core, and I have to kill X to get back control. The mouse pointer still moves, albeit sluggishly, but everything else is locked solid.

I did not have this problem with 185.18.36 under kernel 2.6.31.1.

Interestingly, this does not happen when I run under the twm instead of KDE. It does, however, happen even when I turn off compositing in KDE.

I'm attaching the nvidia-bugs output.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (34.6 KB, 68 views)
christophern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 05:22 PM   #2
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Consistent hard lockup with 195.36.24 on GeForce6600 when running OpenOffice in K

Do you mean "current svn checkout" of KDE 4, or OpenOffice, or both?

Since this happens even without compositing, can you try another driver; for example, VESA?
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 05:25 PM   #3
christophern

Default Re: Consistent hard lockup with 195.36.24 on GeForce6600 when running OpenOffice in K

I tried VESA, and it locked up as well. So, probably not a driver issue, could be something in the libGL though. I use recent svn snapshots of KDE, but packaged versions of OpenOffice.

The lockups only happen on my 6600, I have a laptop which has all of the same files, a 9600M GT card, and that works fine. I don't know when the last time was that I tried running OpenOffice on the machine with the 6600 card, I just happened to be wanting to use it shortly after a kernel+nvidia upgrade, and things broke.
christophern is offline   Reply With Quote