Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-10, 05:59 PM   #61
|MaguS|

Default Re: MS Kinect?

Get the orange wrist band if you go, Green band makes you stand.
Old 06-14-10, 08:09 PM   #62
fizzelopeguss

Incredible, i don't think i've seen so much shovelware pap given centre stage at an e3, and to think we've got sony's shyte to go tomorrow.

****ing joy.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:14 PM   #63
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
Incredible, i don't think i've seen so much shovelware pap given centre stage at an e3, and to think we've got sony's shyte to go tomorrow.

****ing joy.
Well hopefully Sony will be showing more hardcore games being played on the Move at most... watched a little bit of Socom 4 with the Move and it actually looked pretty accurate and quick.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:25 PM   #64
CaptnStubing

Who cares what it is called or looks like. All I care about is what it does.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 05:51 PM   #65
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
Who cares what it is called or looks like. All I care about is what it does.
How about the imporant what it doesn't do?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099085p1.html

Quote:
Standing Room Only
Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room.
Quote:
In more than a few demos, Kinect didn't always understand what people were saying. And these were folks without accents and in rooms without a lot of echo or noise. Kinect has a setting for audio that measures the amount of ambient noise in your room and filters it out, but until we can field test it, it's impossible to know how well this works. Accents are a bigger concern. We've been told the "hope" is that accents are not an issue. Maybe Microsoft can enlist Ubisoft for help, because EndWar used voice commands and did an excellent job accounting for accents.
And one last thing not covered in this article is that since it has no voice recognition alot of dirty pranks can be played. Lets say you are watching a movie, someone can shout from another room "Xbox Stop" or Xbox ESPN" and completely kick you out of the movie.

http://kotaku.com/5564990/how-to-tro...yline=true&s=i
Old 06-16-10, 06:54 PM   #66
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Lulz, great technology there.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 07:48 PM   #67
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I love people picking on only negative things about Kinect. Those are just minor issues but can be easily fixed. They still have few months before launch. Mostly it has to do with developer's side not Kinect. Like for example, in same article it's said some games offered 1:1 movement but some didn't.

You have to remember Kinect is new and never done before. Playstation Move is more polished because it's already been done by Nintendo with Wii. They basically copied Wii and refined it, making it better.

Kinect has a lot of potential and I'm sure it'll get better in overtime as developers get more comfortable with it.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:10 PM   #68
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

If I'm a PC apologist Naito then you are an Xbox propaganda artist.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-10, 08:28 PM   #69
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
If I'm a PC apologist Naito then you are an Xbox propaganda artist.
No it's about common sense.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Old 06-16-10, 08:32 PM   #70
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
I love people picking on only negative things about Kinect. Those are just minor issues but can be easily fixed. They still have few months before launch. Mostly it has to do with developer's side not Kinect. Like for example, in same article it's said some games offered 1:1 movement but some didn't.
Yes some don't offer 1:! while some do, thats a programming/delay issue but not the system just plain doesn't work if you are sitting down. Thats not a programming issue, the camera can't detect the person. Can this be fixed? Probably but it shouldn't even have come up. If MS expects people to play games as they "feel" then when driving a car you should be sitting, I mean they added support in Forza for it.

The same with voice recognition. It can be fixed with software but that will add over head and again it should never have been there to begin with. MS should have thought of this issue before demoing it. It's a HUGE Flaw that should have never been there.

Quote:
You have to remember Kinect is new and never done before. Playstation Move is more polished because it's already been done by Nintendo with Wii. They basically copied Wii and refined it, making it better.
This is what irks me the most about "Natal" supporters, stop acting like this is something new. It is not new, only an evolution of things we have already been doing. The Playstation Eye has been doing things like this for many years now. Natal is just refining it more, Sony said it best when they made their argument (and in turn defending Nintendo). Controller less gaming will never work for a broad gaming experience. It will offer very limited capabilities because in the end some games just need controllers.
Old 06-16-10, 08:32 PM   #71
|MaguS|

Quote:
No it's about common sense.
Yes its common sense that a lot of these issues should never have been there to begin with.
Old 06-16-10, 09:06 PM   #72
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yes some don't offer 1:! while some do, thats a programming/delay issue but not the system just plain doesn't work if you are sitting down. Thats not a programming issue, the camera can't detect the person. Can this be fixed? Probably but it shouldn't even have come up. If MS expects people to play games as they "feel" then when driving a car you should be sitting, I mean they added support in Forza for it.

The same with voice recognition. It can be fixed with software but that will add over head and again it should never have been there to begin with. MS should have thought of this issue before demoing it. It's a HUGE Flaw that should have never been there.

This is what irks me the most about "Natal" supporters, stop acting like this is something new. It is not new, only an evolution of things we have already been doing. The Playstation Eye has been doing things like this for many years now. Natal is just refining it more, Sony said it best when they made their argument (and in turn defending Nintendo). Controller less gaming will never work for a broad gaming experience. It will offer very limited capabilities because in the end some games just need controllers.
Exactly but it also bothers me that people expects Kinect or any hardware or games to be perfect, bug free months before launch. Most if not all, will be addressed by then. I mean, it's common sense to see there'll always be some small issues pop up at anytime.

To be honest I completely forgot about EyeToy. Probably because Sony didn't market/support EyeToy enough. You're correct about Kinect copying EyeToy and refining it. I don't think Microsoft expects Kinect to replace controllers completely. Kinect will change the gaming experience in some level, bring out something new to us gamers. (I like the idea of controller free gaming) But it's too early to say really. We'll see what 2011 will bring for Kinect. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Move as well- just matter of time we see bigger and better quality games for those.