Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-16-10, 10:46 PM   #73
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: MS Kinect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
I love people picking on only negative things about Kinect. Those are just minor issues but can be easily fixed. They still have few months before launch. Mostly it has to do with developer's side not Kinect. Like for example, in same article it's said some games offered 1:1 movement but some didn't.

You have to remember Kinect is new and never done before. Playstation Move is more polished because it's already been done by Nintendo with Wii. They basically copied Wii and refined it, making it better.

Kinect has a lot of potential and I'm sure it'll get better in overtime as developers get more comfortable with it.
Move is closer to release and looked to be working about 99% right.

EDIT: Whoops, sent this too fast...

Kinect isn't new. It is Playstation Eyetoy for the PS2 with voice communication that apparently doesn't work that well. Surprised you don't have to stand to give voice commands also.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 10:49 PM   #74
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Looks like Magus beat me to all of my stuff... I blame myself for replying as I read the thread instead of finishing the thread first... oh well :\.
Old 06-16-10, 11:25 PM   #75
|MaguS|

Quote:
Exactly but it also bothers me that people expects Kinect or any hardware or games to be perfect, bug free months before launch. Most if not all, will be addressed by then. I mean, it's common sense to see there'll always be some small issues pop up at anytime.
How can you say that? You don't know how the system works. From what I have seen to calibrate it you need to stand and show the camera your joints, if you are sitting it doesn't see your entire skeletal structure. Yes I never expected a perfect product but for the final unveiling with less then 6 months to release it had some pretty huge flaws.

Quote:
To be honest I completely forgot about EyeToy. Probably because Sony didn't market/support EyeToy enough. You're correct about Kinect copying EyeToy and refining it. I don't think Microsoft expects Kinect to replace controllers completely. Kinect will change the gaming experience in some level, bring out something new to us gamers. (I like the idea of controller free gaming) But it's too early to say really. We'll see what 2011 will bring for Kinect. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Move as well- just matter of time we see bigger and better quality games for those.
I do believe that MS will try to push controller free gaming on us. They want to be like Nintendo and have the public perception (no matter how wrong it is) that they are doing something unique. There are already reports that MS is canceling production of their wireless steering wheel... funny since they have a new racing game in production...
Old 06-17-10, 12:28 AM   #76
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I didn't say ALL issues will be fixed. Yes it do have some limitations and I believe I know how it works. I worked with my professor at school in motion capturing not so long ago for my school project. He has a small studio with expensive equipments that capture your body without needing small white balls all around your body. You need to stand and let several cameras scan your body before you can move around. It has some disadvantages like if you squat, it messes up because they can't see where your legs go. To fix that, you just have to stand up again and let cameras re-scan your body then you're good to go. Kinda annoying. This issue seems to be similar problem Kinect's having. I'm not sure if that part will be fixed but other issues more likely will.

Of course Microsoft will try and sell Kinect to us. Everyone does with their new products so it's nothing new. But that's different from trying to eliminate controllers from games completely. I believe Microsoft discontinued their wireless racing wheel long time ago like in 2007?

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 12:35 AM   #77
|MaguS|

Quote:
I didn't say ALL issues will be fixed.
Look the quote in my previous post, you stated "most if not all will be addressed by then", I take that as you saying ALL issues will be fixed. Short term memory or the political spin?
Old 06-17-10, 12:45 AM   #78
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

The simple fact is that it only working when you're standing is freaking ridiculous. If they fix that before launching then great, if not... it deserves to die on the vine.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 12:46 AM   #79
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Oh, that line "most if not all" means "all"? Sorry, but I still have some trouble putting words together, English is still difficult sometimes. What I meant to say was most of issues can be fixed. Hope that makes sense this time.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Old 06-17-10, 12:12 PM   #80
|MaguS|

To stress the issue more, Kotaku started looking into the rumor...

http://kotaku.com/5565777/xbox-kinec...couch-potatoes

Quote:
"Sitting is something we're still calibrating for."
I'd be worried less about this sitting thing — and I would stop asking the "sitting question" — if I had not been made to watch a movie via Kinect while standing up.
Quote:
asked one of the two members of Forza development studio Turn 10 if I could play their demo sitting down. They said I could not, that it was "optimized for standing."
Again if this wasn't an issue they would have had this working prior to E3... Who watches a movie standing up?

Quote:
I liked telling the Xbox 360 to pause a movie. I liked extending my hand and dragging the movie's progress bar left or right, as if I was using the Star Wars Force to fast forward and rewind. But, I asked the Microsoft people running the demo, could I drag a chair over and try this sitting down?

No.

"Sitting is something we're still calibrating for," one of them told me.
Quote:
But after a week of noticing a lack of seated play — after a week of not getting a single developer or Microsoft person to clearly state that Kinect can track your body while you sit — I'm left to wonder if this impressive tech has a problem.

Old 06-17-10, 06:29 PM   #81
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

This is from Microsoft's Stephen Toulouse on his Twitter recently about this issue:
Quote:
Guys, we're still developing Kinect. I've no idea what ign wrote and am not contradicting. Just saying ive used menus sitting. Calm down.
http://twitter.com/Stepto/status/16343636822

I don't know what that means but at least they're still developing Kinect and hope to fix those issues before launch. I mean, they had promo videos showing people sitting and using Kinect... if they don't have this fixed by launch, they'll be in trouble.

Old 06-17-10, 07:12 PM   #82
|MaguS|

Quote:
This is from Microsoft's Stephen Toulouse on his Twitter recently about this issue:

http://twitter.com/Stepto/status/16343636822

I don't know what that means but at least they're still developing Kinect and hope to fix those issues before launch. I mean, they had promo videos showing people sitting and using Kinect... if they don't have this fixed by launch, they'll be in trouble.
I doubt those promo videos they are even using the system... He says one thing but EVERYONES experience with it from E3 says another, You cannot sit down and use the motion controls, voice controls work (he might be referring to that) but it will not work with voice controls currently.
Old 06-17-10, 07:29 PM   #83
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

But hey, it is fun to sit and WATCH people standing.
Old 06-17-10, 07:33 PM   #84
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Yeah I don't think they're using Kinect so basically those promo videos' touched up. What I meant is, they'll be breaking the promises if they didn't fix this issue before launch. That'd be embarrassing.

IMO Kotaku does a ****ty job reviewing Kinect. Gizmodo did a depth review on Kinect and its games. It's a good read. They seems to have a lot of fun with Kinect. Previously they thought it was too silly and lame.

http://gizmodo.com/5565657/xbox-360-...a-of-computing