Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-11-10, 11:55 PM   #1
wittenberg

Red face nvidia drivers for m330 with a dual boot kubuntu

hi,

i have a sony vaio notebook, with a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU graphic card. i have a dual boot , with Kubuntu as second OS. I am not exactly experienced in dealing with linux, i just wanted to get started on using it this way. But now it seems impossible to get my videocard to get to work in kubuntu, cause it seems to be impossible to install the linux driver for this card in kubuntu and it seems, if i work around it, the driver will switch off the cooling fan for the videocard. Is there anyone around here that has a solution for that and is possible to explain it to this novice in a way i will be able to understand?
wittenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 12:54 PM   #2
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nvidia drivers for m330 with a dual boot kubuntu

Can you please provide an nvidia-bug-report? See: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678

There are some displays on newer laptops that require support for ACPI methods which are not yet implemented in the NVIDIA driver in order to be correctly detected. I suspect that you may have one of these laptops, and information from the nvidia-bug-report would be able to confirm this.

We are working to provide support for these ACPI methods, and therefore the built-in displays on laptops that require them, in future versions of the NVIDIA X Display Driver. Until such support is in place, the vesa driver should be able to provide basic display functionality on your system.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote