Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-10, 05:39 PM   #1
hfourxzeror
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Exclamation Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Good afternoon everyone!

Recently, I purchased a Nvidia GeForce GT 220 for my HTPC (Dell Optiplex GX280).
I was looking forward to the HD and accelerated graphics with my Visio 52' LCD.

I formatted the hdd and installed a fresh version of Ubuntu 9.10. I installed all the updates for Linux. Then I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the latest set of drivers (version 190.53). I installed the drivers and rebooted. Everything seemed great! The picture quality was amazing and the video was smooth.

But there was a problem, no audio! I'm getting no audio from HDMI.

I did some research around online to find a solution or a hack. But nothing worthwhile. I've searched this forum also with no luck. I did find lots of threads on "audio over hdmi", but nothing that helped me! Or the thread was several years old and outdated.

I then sent Nvidia a ticket asking if the GeForce GT 220 even worked with Linux and audio over HDMI. From there, they sent me the HD_AUDIO-9.10.tar.gz (see attached file).

I figured that I just needed to compile it and the audio would work! So, I did so.

After compiling it and stuff, I rebooted. Upon reboot there is still no audio....
I've checked alsamixer to see if it was muted, but I unmuted everything.

Help me out guys! If you need me to post any outputs from the terminal, I'd be MORE than happy to do so!

Thanks so much!
Please help me out!

-Dale
Attached Files
File Type: gz HD_AUDIO-9.10.tar.gz (93.2 KB, 895 views)

Last edited by hfourxzeror; 01-11-10 at 05:40 PM. Reason: grammar
hfourxzeror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 06:48 PM   #2
CaptainDangeax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: France
Posts: 4
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Hi. Did you plug a SPDIF passthrough cable, from your mobo spdif out to the graphic card spdif in ? I did it on my current 9500GT and got sound over HDMI, but I want to upgrade to a G210 or G220, but I won't if there's no SPDIF in.
CaptainDangeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 07:36 PM   #3
hfourxzeror
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
Hi. Did you plug a SPDIF passthrough cable, from your mobo spdif out to the graphic card spdif in ? I did it on my current 9500GT and got sound over HDMI, but I want to upgrade to a G210 or G220, but I won't if there's no SPDIF in.
No SPDIF on the GT 220. It has Native HDMI with onboard audio.

Anyone have more suggestions?
hfourxzeror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 05:39 AM   #4
dura91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Near Paris France
Posts: 40
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfourxzeror View Post
Good afternoon everyone!

Recently, I purchased a Nvidia GeForce GT 220 for my HTPC (Dell Optiplex GX280).
I was looking forward to the HD and accelerated graphics with my Visio 52' LCD.

I formatted the hdd and installed a fresh version of Ubuntu 9.10. I installed all the updates for Linux. Then I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the latest set of drivers (version 190.53). I installed the drivers and rebooted. Everything seemed great! The picture quality was amazing and the video was smooth.

But there was a problem, no audio! I'm getting no audio from HDMI.

I did some research around online to find a solution or a hack. But nothing worthwhile. I've searched this forum also with no luck. I did find lots of threads on "audio over hdmi", but nothing that helped me! Or the thread was several years old and outdated.

I then sent Nvidia a ticket asking if the GeForce GT 220 even worked with Linux and audio over HDMI. From there, they sent me the HD_AUDIO-9.10.tar.gz (see attached file).

I figured that I just needed to compile it and the audio would work! So, I did so.

After compiling it and stuff, I rebooted. Upon reboot there is still no audio....
I've checked alsamixer to see if it was muted, but I unmuted everything.

Help me out guys! If you need me to post any outputs from the terminal, I'd be MORE than happy to do so!

Thanks so much!
Please help me out!

-Dale
You seem to have receive a complete new hdmi-audio driver from nvidia.
After looking at it, it may be possible that they forget some hardware ids.
Code:
struct hda_codec_preset snd_hda_preset_nvhdmi[] = {
	{ .id = 0x10de0002, .name = "NVIDIA MCP77/78 HDMI", .patch = patch_nvhdmi },
	{ .id = 0x10de0007, .name = "NVIDIA MCP79/7A HDMI", .patch = patch_nvhdmi },
	{ .id = 0x10de8001, .name = "NVIDIA MCP73 HDMI", .patch = patch_nvhdmi },
	{ .id = 0x10de000c, .name = "NVIDIA MCP89 HDMI", .patch = patch_nvhdmi },
	{ .id = 0x10de000d, .name = "NVIDIA GT240 HDMI", .patch = patch_nvhdmi },
	{} /* terminator */
};
Let me think that the GT210 and GT220 ids was forgotten.
You can confirm that by running
Code:
aplay -L
when the driver is loaded in your kernel. If you see something like "nvidia HDMI", it's OK otherwise it's KO. I think that ids for GT210/220 is 0x10de000a or 0x10de000b.
Some pci ids might be missing from hda_intel.c too in this tab:
Code:
static struct pci_device_id azx_ids[] = {
I will give a try to this new driver after work and if it's working (I got a GT240 card) I may be able to give you code modifications to make it work.
Reading http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59877 can be usefull.
PS: Sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother language!
dura91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 03:05 PM   #5
dura91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Near Paris France
Posts: 40
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

We might have made some progress... With the driver provided in #1 and after adding missing ids, my AV receiver lights left and right front channels, before it used to print "No data". But still no sound, I tried with xmms, mplayer and speaker test. Same commands work with an ATI HD4350.
I've unmuted all digital output as you can see here:





I've tested with drivers 190.53 and 195.30.
dura91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 04:07 PM   #6
jma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 33
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura91 View Post
We might have made some progress... With the driver provided in #1 and after adding missing ids, my AV receiver lights left and right front channels ..
Great! :-)

Can you make the receiver light up more channel-leds by opening up all channels in speakertest? Also this could work as a sanity test to how the nid's are set up. You might hear something unexpected ..
jma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 04:35 PM   #7
dura91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Near Paris France
Posts: 40
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma View Post
Great! :-)

Can you make the receiver light up more channel-leds by opening up all channels in speakertest? Also this could work as a sanity test to how the nid's are set up. You might hear something unexpected ..
There is no reaction of the AV receiver whatever command I use: speaker-test with more than two channels, DTS or AC3 spdif passthrough with mplayer, only left and right front channels leds light up. And always no sound.
dura91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 04:43 PM   #8
dura91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Near Paris France
Posts: 40
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

One more thing: if I turn off second digital output in kmix, front left and right leds turn off and turn on if sedond digital ouput is on.
dura91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-10, 06:02 PM   #9
alanw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 36
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Guys !

We have reached to this point long time ago. As i know hdmi audio is still not supported on these cards by nvidia (or alsa)
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 03:16 PM   #10
zim2dive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 145
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Found this in another thread.. looks like its still in development. Was not able to track down any ETA.

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipe...er/024229.html
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 04:22 AM   #11
doogs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

I have my Asus GT220 working!

Instructions are here:

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=HOW-TO_s..._Begin.2FNotes

in my case when looking for the card:
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I note that my motherboard's in built sound card is 0 so to test I used:
speaker-test -Dplughw:1,3 -c2

the '1' means card 1 the '3' means device 3 and the '2' means 2 channels i.e. stereo

you can change the '2' to '6' to try 5.1 audio and '8' to try 7.1 audio

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Doogs
doogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 10:07 AM   #12
alanw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 36
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogs View Post
I have my Asus GT220 working!
you can change the '2' to '6' to try 5.1 audio and '8' to try 7.1 audio
Hello!

Does 7.1 multichannel lpcm work for you with the 19x series drivers ?
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.