Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-09, 05:43 AM   #1
Uberpwnage

Default Buying only a cd-key for CoD4?

Back in December, I was banned from CoD4 punkbuster servers because I tried playing on an early build of Windows 7. I tried contacting both Activision and Punkbuster to resolve my issue, but they wouldn't do anything and accused me of hacking or of being hacked. I really loved CoD4, and have been hoping it will drop in price more out of spite than anything, I just don't feel like paying full price for a game I feel cheated out of.

Anyway, it's finally getting to me, so I was wondering if any of these sites that allow you to purchase only CD-keys are actually legitimate. I don't trust forums on their own sites, I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with these sites, specifically one that sells CoD4 keys?
Windows 7 x64, 3DMark06:30000, 3DMark Vantage: P38000

Eurocom M860TU: X9100 - 9800M GT - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333 - 320GB 7200rpm - 15.4in 1920x1200
Old 04-18-09, 05:53 AM   #2
Badboy_12345

Default Re: Buying only a cd-key for CoD4?

g2play.net

bought many games there
Old 04-18-09, 06:18 AM   #3
Blade
It's just a ride....

Just bought a COD 5 key, works well, very happy.
Old 04-18-09, 01:21 PM   #4
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

you can have my cod 4 code if i can find it.
Old 04-18-09, 05:29 PM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberpwnage View Post
Back in December, I was banned from CoD4 punkbuster servers because I tried playing on an early build of Windows 7. I tried contacting both Activision and Punkbuster to resolve my issue, but they wouldn't do anything and accused me of hacking or of being hacked. I really loved CoD4, and have been hoping it will drop in price more out of spite than anything, I just don't feel like paying full price for a game I feel cheated out of.

Anyway, it's finally getting to me, so I was wondering if any of these sites that allow you to purchase only CD-keys are actually legitimate. I don't trust forums on their own sites, I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with these sites, specifically one that sells CoD4 keys?
They banned you for using Windows 7?

For some reason I think there was something else involved in why you were banned. Others would have had the same issues and I am sure they would have realized this and unbanned you...

Anyways, just buy it off Steam. That will give you a new CD key too.

Also, this whole post is really sketchy.
Old 04-18-09, 05:56 PM   #6
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post

Cod4 on steam in europe = 49.99€
On g2play.net = 14.59€
In stores in Sweden = 17.69€

See anything completely retarded there?
No one from europe with a brain buys from steam...
Old 04-18-09, 07:36 PM   #7
Uberpwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
They banned you for using Windows 7?

For some reason I think there was something else involved in why you were banned. Others would have had the same issues and I am sure they would have realized this and unbanned you...

Also, this whole post is really sketchy.
Well I was kind of stupid too, I thought I could get punkbuster to work with it. I dont remember what I did exactly, but I tried compatibility mode and some other things. I installed cod4 first thing to test out gaming performance, and I couldn't join servers because it said something about "unknown api function", wasn't a firewall issue and I had updated the punkbuster files.

here's a link to a forum discussion similar to mine around the same time...
http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/572-punkbuster-3.html

The problem was I took it a bit too far in trying to fix it I think. I figured it was something simple like a mismatch of expected build numbers, I was running 6801 and it was expecting 6001. Compatibility mode was a simple enough fix in theory, but I guessed and tested too much for its liking and it banned me I assume. Obviously I can't know for sure that that was the cause, but the only thing that was different was Windows 7 instead of Vista. I was banned the next day I tried to play on Vista, seems like more then a coincidence.

Punkbuster informed me that they didn't collect any information that would be able to verify my story, so they couldn't unban my key. They told me it was either me hacking or someone hacking with my key. I know they probably get similar stories from actual hackers and they need to be careful. However, given the fact that I know more about what I was doing on my PC at the time, I find it more likely that it was my attempts at getting it to work. If I was hacked, none of the security measures I had in place noticed it, and the only thing of any value that has affected me in the last 5 months, is the key, which again, I find unlikely.

The game came out in November 2007, and it's still $50 on steam. I understand it's a popular game, but I think that's a bit much, especially with CoD:WaW out. As I said, it's more of annoyance then anything, I don't feel like spending the full $50 or even $40 on a game I feel cheated out of.

As for G2Play.net, might go for that if nothing better shows up, thanks for the feedback.
Windows 7 x64, 3DMark06:30000, 3DMark Vantage: P38000

Eurocom M860TU: X9100 - 9800M GT - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333 - 320GB 7200rpm - 15.4in 1920x1200
Old 04-18-09, 09:29 PM   #8
rudedog
Not so Rude

Working closely with Activision on the CoD franchise I can tell you those CD key sites are NOT legit.

You should be able to pick up a copy cheap now or wait for one of those killer deals on steam.
BDR-202|X-Fi Fatal1ty 2.07.0004|Logitec G7-setpoint 3.1.116|Ergodex DX1-firmware 1.1-driver1.3|Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD|PCPower and Cooling TurboCool 1000 SLI|Windows 7 Ultimate|Klipsch THX 5.1
Imac: Snow Leopard|27" screen|i7 2.93|12 GB|ATI HD 5750 1G|WD 1T SATA|2xWD 2T firewire 800|Sharing Dell 24"
Laptop: MBP|2.16|2GB ram|160drive
Laptop 2: MBP Unibody|2.66|4GB ram|320drive
Camera: D700 + MB-D10 + EN-EL3e + GP1|Nikon14-24 f2.8|nikon24-70 f2.8|nikon70-200 f2.8|nikon 50 f1.4|Sigma 150-500
Car: 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purl|6 Speed|Power roof|Super Track Pack|20" classic rims|Functional ram air hood

Old 04-18-09, 09:34 PM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberpwnage View Post
Well I was kind of stupid too, I thought I could get punkbuster to work with it. I dont remember what I did exactly, but I tried compatibility mode and some other things. I installed cod4 first thing to test out gaming performance, and I couldn't join servers because it said something about "unknown api function", wasn't a firewall issue and I had updated the punkbuster files.

here's a link to a forum discussion similar to mine around the same time...
http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/572-punkbuster-3.html

The problem was I took it a bit too far in trying to fix it I think. I figured it was something simple like a mismatch of expected build numbers, I was running 6801 and it was expecting 6001. Compatibility mode was a simple enough fix in theory, but I guessed and tested too much for its liking and it banned me I assume. Obviously I can't know for sure that that was the cause, but the only thing that was different was Windows 7 instead of Vista. I was banned the next day I tried to play on Vista, seems like more then a coincidence.

Punkbuster informed me that they didn't collect any information that would be able to verify my story, so they couldn't unban my key. They told me it was either me hacking or someone hacking with my key. I know they probably get similar stories from actual hackers and they need to be careful. However, given the fact that I know more about what I was doing on my PC at the time, I find it more likely that it was my attempts at getting it to work. If I was hacked, none of the security measures I had in place noticed it, and the only thing of any value that has affected me in the last 5 months, is the key, which again, I find unlikely.

The game came out in November 2007, and it's still $50 on steam. I understand it's a popular game, but I think that's a bit much, especially with CoD:WaW out. As I said, it's more of annoyance then anything, I don't feel like spending the full $50 or even $40 on a game I feel cheated out of.

As for G2Play.net, might go for that if nothing better shows up, thanks for the feedback.
Bah, that sucks. I was running the Windows 7 Beta for a while and I got COD4 to work with it after I ran PB update a few times. I think they should at least have a 3 strike rule for banning CD keys completely.

Tbh, you may just want to wait for Modern Warfare 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
Cod4 on steam in europe = 49.99€
On g2play.net = 14.59€
In stores in Sweden = 17.69€

Is the OP even from Europe? Second off, the probability that those 15 and 17 Euro CD Keys are legit is practically 0%, but Steam's legit probability is 100%. See anything completely retarded there?
Old 04-18-09, 10:00 PM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
Working closely with Activision on the CoD franchise I can tell you those CD key sites are NOT legit.

You should be able to pick up a copy cheap now or wait for one of those killer deals on steam.

considering that g2play.net is owned by a czech felon that ran similar site in czech and was shutdown. yeah posibility that the site legit is slim
Old 04-18-09, 10:02 PM   #11
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
Cod4 on steam in europe = 49.99
On g2play.net = 14.59
In stores in Sweden = 17.69

People in Europe without a brain typically use pirated stuff anyways

And to actually PAY for pirated keys == even more brain dead tbh.
Old 04-19-09, 03:17 AM   #12
Blade
It's just a ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post

So how come mines working fine both online & off with a purchase from G2PLAY?

Not trying to pitch business for them btw but please dont scaremonger when it's not neccessary Activision bot.
Closed Thread