Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-22-10, 12:25 AM   #1
gsgleason

Default ubuntu 10.04 i386 - nouveau is faster

on my laptop, a Thinkpad R61 with Quadro NVS 140M.

When using any of the nvidia driver packages, everything is slower. Switching users is slower, logging out to the gdm login screen is slower, the display turning back on after opening the display is slower. A LOT slower.

When using the nouveau driver that is default with this distro, all these things happen SO much faster; it really improves the user experience. The only thing that suffers is full-screen or high-res internet videos. I do not play any 3d games or use any 3D software.

What's up with this?
gsgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 01:17 AM   #2
gradinaruvasile

Default Re: ubuntu 10.04 i386 - nouveau is faster

How is flash content/local videos? How about scrolling on web pages? Battery usage? Playing movies (not to mention hi-def movies/VDPAU)? Resizing/moving windows? System stability (i did not have a single x freeze for months with the proprietary drivers)?
Anything 3d-related (such as Google Earth)?
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 03:04 AM   #3
gonzo_s

2gsgleason: stop trolling please, use your brains, google and you'll see the answer.

2gradinaruvasile: don't you see that he DOESN'T speak about 3D and videos?

To sum it up: whether these guys are a same person or both switched their trolling mode on...

Please clean this crap, administrator
gonzo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 04:40 AM   #4
queen6

What nvidia drivers version are you using?

I had the same problem on Quadro 360M some time ago, where powermizer stuck at lowest performance level and system was unbearably slow. Recent fixes in 256.xx drivers should solve it though. I no longer have laptop with Quadro, but it solved my problems with GTX280M. Worth giving it a try.
queen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 11:34 AM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Nouveau puts the console into a high resolution mode, so it doesn't need to change the display mode when the X server starts, or when it's switching users. Instead, I would expect that delay to happen when the kernel is loading the nouveau module and it's doing its initial modeset.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 06:13 PM   #6
gsgleason

@gonzo_s: wow. Thanks for the kind words.

I am currently using 256.35 from the ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

I followed the instructions here: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/how-t...mment-41037671 to get the plymouth splash looking better.

Web page scrolling actually improved going from the 173 driver from the ubuntu repo to nouveau.

with 180 and 185, there was a tremendous delay when logging a user out before I would get back to the GDM login screen, and sometimes it would pop up saying that ubuntu is running in low grapics mode.

Is there a way to improve the speed switching users?
gsgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 01:47 AM   #7
Tonglebeqk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo_s View Post
2gsgleason: stop trolling please, use your brains, google and you'll see the answer.

2gradinaruvasile: don't you see that he DOESN'T speak about 3D and videos?

To sum it up: whether these guys are a same person or both switched their trolling mode on...

Please clean this crap, administrator
People like you piss off the internet.
Tonglebeqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 09:24 AM   #8
hdas

@gsgleason: It is rather well known that the speed which you talk about, that is switching between screens etc, is mainly due to something called KMS (Kernel Mode Setting). Mode setting is done by this same driver (Nouveau), which loads at early boot and also handles the boot graphics. Also try changing resolution or handling multiple displays using a xrandr application like krandr in KDE. It is super fast. What's more awesome? Switch to text mode (ctrl-alt-f1 to enter and ctrl-alt-f7 to return to X), and watch some text scroll (say run 'dmesg') and it is blindling fast. (With Nvidia driver or any non-kms driver, it will take more than 10 seconds to scroll by.)

@ gradinaruvasile and gonzo_s: Video (XV) is very good, can handle 1080p. Flash is (hence) very good too. In general, 2D and basic stuff are as good as good as you can get. 3D is getting there. It is pretty awesome in the mesa-experimental branch (which should eventually become 7.9). Try installing mesa from xorg-edgers ppa repository. (Oh, I am using Gentoo and mesa-git. Also, my notebook graphics card is 9800M GS which is very powerful.) Quake3 runs silk smooth (but thats a 12 year old game) and compositing effects in kwin work well too. It is commendable for a reverse-engineered driver. There is possibly very little or no power management, so card will run hot. (Very hot in my case.) The only reason I don't use is because I do use OpenCL and CUDA for GPU computing.

@AaronP: Can you please confirm if Randr 1.2 support is ever going to come in Nvidia drivers. Even some of the simplest of drivers support it. The multiple screen management in Nouveau is so much better. The biggest issue being that Twinview still gives a single huge 2560x1024 desktop instead of two 1280x1024 desktops for example. And it is useless for full screen applications. At least provide a mechanism to do that in nvidia-settings. (I don't want to do that using xorg.conf on a notebook that connects to different external displays all the time.) Any form of KMS would be awesome too, but I assume the bog standard reply would be that mode-setting mechanism is proprietary (which strangely the nouveau driver has it done better anyway ).
hdas is offline   Reply With Quote