Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-07-10, 06:24 AM   #13
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Monkey Island 2 Special Edition LeChuck's Revenge E3 2010 Debut Trailer

They removed the intro?! ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 06:35 AM   #14
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Monkey Island 2 Special Edition LeChuck's Revenge E3 2010 Debut Trailer

I assume they replaced it with something. The first remake didn't allow you go retro during the intro, which annoyed me.

ScummVM though... so yeah.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 03:34 PM   #15
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Man, they really slaughtered this game in my opinion so far. The removed the intro completely and didn't even replace it, it just goes right from Guybrush and Elaine hanging to Guybrush telling the story on Scabb Island. The iMuse is indeed missing and the music transitions are often abrupt and crappy, though sometimes they fade nicely (not as nicely as the iMuse blending though).

More to the point though, the art looks naff if you ask me. The original remake seemed like more of an improvement, maybe because the original game looked worse, or because it was a neat idea... I don't know. Here though everything looks blurry and quickly painted... I booted up the original in ScummVM and personally I think that is the better version, though I wish it had voice.

Oh well.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 07-07-10, 06:13 PM   #16
Sectus

Having just played the original game, I can confirm that imuse is actually in the PC remake. It's only missing in the 360 and PS3 version. I don't think the new music takes advantage of the imuse system as well as the original music, but it does work the same way as the original game.

I'm personally loving the new version. The backgrounds looks great and the voice acting is really good. That the opening credits is gone is a small disappointment, but I don't think it's a big issue. My only disappointment with the game is the music in the classic edition. They decided to record ugly generic midi music instead of the original MT-32 music.
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 10:02 PM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

If iMuse is there, which I doubt, it is not nearly as well implemented. A transition alone is not the same.

Old 07-07-10, 10:18 PM   #18
Sectus

I just went ahead and recorded imuse examples from 4 versions of the game (PS3, 360, PC and original game on scummvm). I'll get it uploaded to youtube later.

360 is the only one with zero imuse transitions. PS3 and PC has the same transitions which aren't as dynamic and long as the ones in original scummvm game, but they're still there. To be honest, imuse is probably the most complex and dynamic music system used in any game. Doing similar tricks with wave tracks is a lot harder, so I give them some credit for at least trying.

In comparison, LucasArts' later adventure game without midi music didn't utilize the imuse system properly. Monkey 3 uses super simple fade out/in, or it just snaps to the next tune with no transition. Which is super crude compared to Monkey 2.
Old 07-08-10, 12:17 AM   #19
Sectus

Okie, I've finished recording, encoding and uploading my imuse comparisons. I recorded 6 different versions of the music you hear in Woodtick from these sources:
PS3
PC
360 classic mode
PC classic mode (I skipped PS3 classic mode as it sounds literally the same as PC)
Original game in ScummVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMoHEFtnLQ - Here's the video. (video is still encoding, but it should be in full quality in less than an hour)

360 version is the only version with zero imuse. The songs will just instantly switch between eachother. PS3 and PC seems to have the same implementation of imuse, which is similar to the original just less dynamic and with shorter transitions. Classic mode imuse is hit and miss, at its best it's as good as the imuse in the special edition music in the PS3 or PC version. At its worst, it's like the 360 version (no transitions).

The original game's version of imuse is undoubtly superior. Much more dynamic and each transition sounds better. Although I have to say the transitions in the special edition isn't bad, it's just too short. At least much better than no transitions at all.
Old 07-08-10, 12:45 AM   #20
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Good video... thanks. Glad we have some limited version of it on the PC, but that video shows there's nothing like the original. That and the lack of intro are real downers.

The classic mode music is terrible.

I'm posting your video on the Steam forums.

Old 07-09-10, 05:34 PM   #21
Sectus

I was just checking LucasForums and someone figured out you can force the game to run in easy mode, and it actually fully works. All the unique dialogue in easy mode is voice acted, and the new graphics (a new shirt, not sure if there's other unique items too) is in highres. I guess they were planning to support easy mode but removed it for some reason.

If anyone wants to play easy mode, here's instructions for activating it:
- http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....4&postcount=22 - Use this utility for extracting monkey2.000 and monkey2.001 from the monkey2.pak file
- http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....9&postcount=61 - Use this for patching monkey2.000 and monkey2.001 which will force the game to start in Easy mode
-Copy the new monkey2.000 and monkey2.001 into steamapps\common\monkey2\classic\en
-Start a new game in Monkey Island 2 and it should be in easy mode. To confirm this, go to the bar and ask for a job. He should give it to you immediately.

By the way, I have been trying to do some work to combine some of the audio tracks in the game to make a full soundtrack of it. Here's one example: http://www.tzarsectus.com/monkey2/woodtick.ogg - Does that sound good? Anyone want me to do the same with the other tracks in the game?
Old 07-10-10, 12:34 AM   #22
K007

didnt they explain on the video about the imuse system and how it was not possible for them to get the same system on mi2 se?
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 06:46 AM   #23
K007

wow that sux..they couldn't put the intro in :/
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 07:25 AM   #24
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Finished it... I really started to enjoy it later on and certain areas like the city on Phatt Island look tremendously better in the new style. The missing intro, edits to certain dialogues and weakened iMuse music is a real damper on the game though.

Not sure which version I will use when I eventually replay the game again...