Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-10, 05:58 AM   #1
Nilith

Default launchpad.net bug views excruciatingly slow

Since some time, launchpad.net bug views are excruciatingly slow (scrolling takes a few seconds for each step; the whole Xorg server hangs intermittently while waiting for a redraw).

I have not seen other webpages exhibiting this behaviour.

Observed on: debian squeeze, 19*.* and Ubuntu 10.4, 195.*, 256.*.

My laptop with intel graphics doesn't do this, so I assume it's something nvidia driver related.

Edit: attached bug-report
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (64.2 KB, 101 views)
Nilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 08:13 AM   #2
Nilith

Default Re: launchpad.net bug views excruciatingly slow

The same happens when moving transparent/dithered slide elements in OOo Impress. What's up with that?
Nilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 05:17 AM   #3
snk

I'm having the same problem, although it's not *that* slow (milliseconds instead of seconds). Scrolling feels sluggish anyway.

Using Ubuntu 10.04, 256.35, and Geforce 7300GS.
snk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 01:34 PM   #4
gonzo_s

I confirm this behaviour. Unfortunately, I can't remember from which version launchpad became very slow since I do not use it regularly.
gonzo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 04:05 PM   #5
gradinaruvasile

Guys... There is a browser involved somewhere i suppose? Which one?
Also, what desktop environment? Compositing?
Personally i use nvidia cards and launchpad works as the rest of the pages in Firefox/Opera.
OpenOffice is a slow thing. It is slow on every single comp i tried it. And using it with compositing makes it even slower.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:26 AM   #6
oyvind

Confirming, scrolling Launchpad bug reports in Firefox is sluggish, both with drivers 195.36.24 and 256.35. Seems these pages trigger some type of unfortunate rendering interaction between Firefox and Compiz|Xorg|nvidia. Xorg consumes much CPU during sluggishness (contrary to firefox or compiz processes). Ubuntu 10.04 x86-64, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i7 620M, NVIDIA NVS 3100M 512MB, Compiz. No special nvidia-driver options in xorg.conf.

For example, the top few pages of this bug report trigger slow scrolling:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...5?comments=all

.. when scrolling a whole page at a time (e.g. pressing space), or using scrollbar with mouse.
When you reach the comments section, scrolling becomes better, which indicates that some page elements on the top of the bug report trigger the performance problem.
oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 02:53 PM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Thanks for reporting this. I took a look today, and it appears that Firefox is using an enormous pixmap that exceeds the GPU's maximum rendering dimensions, causing software fallbacks. While we will attempt to make it as fast as possible, performance would be greatly improved if Firefox would render using surfaces that fit within the maximum renderable dimensions.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 04:00 PM   #8
Lemmiwinks

Scrolling web pages in browsers is generally slow. Also with Chromium it does not work very well, but at least better than with Firefox.
I have to set my Geforce 8600M GT to the highest clock speed (475 Mhz) to get smooth scrolling to work in a reasonable way, for any browser. Windows is really smooth on all browsers with the lowest performance level (170 Mhz).
This drop in performance is somehow not acceptable. My Ipod touch shows web pages a lot more fluent than my laptop running Linux.

Old 07-14-10, 04:00 AM   #9
oyvind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
Scrolling web pages in browsers is generally slow. [...]
My experience is contrary to this .. Scrolling in browsers is generally smooth and fast, but sometimes pages triggers rendering such that the performance and responsiveness suffers.
Old 07-14-10, 04:28 AM   #10
oyvind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Thanks for reporting this. I took a look today, and it appears that Firefox is using an enormous pixmap that exceeds the GPU's maximum rendering dimensions, causing software fallbacks. While we will attempt to make it as fast as possible, performance would be greatly improved if Firefox would render using surfaces that fit within the maximum renderable dimensions.
I experience no problems with Launchpad pages on the same Ubuntu/Firefox/Compiz/Xorg-versions (albeit 32 bit and only slightly lower screen resolution) on much weaker hardware using radeon KMS driver.
Old 07-17-10, 12:59 PM   #11
gonzo_s

Another udate from me:

Well, today after installing Liquorix 2.6.34 kernel for Debian and visiting launchpad.net with Chrome and Firefox I completely got rid of any slowness. Liquorix kernel is known for its performance optimization and is based on zen patches.

It is definately not an NVIDIA issue.

Using:

debian i686 squeeze/sid
gcc 4.4.4
xorg 1.7.7
GeForce 7600GT

P.S. Something is really wrong with the i/o scheduler in the recent linux kernels. I noticed some time ago, especially when copying a large file (=> 1 gigabyte) and trying to do something simultaneously with the system... There is a regression somewhere. People advise to use BFQ scheduler (Liquorix and zen have it already patched and compiled into the kernel). By default there is no BFQ in the vanilla kernel. You need to patch it or use one of these (zen or liquorix).
gonzo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 12:54 AM   #12
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo_s View Post
P.S. Something is really wrong with the i/o scheduler in the recent linux kernels. I noticed some time ago, especially when copying a large file (=> 1 gigabyte) and trying to do something simultaneously with the system... There is a regression somewhere.
the CFQ sched seems b0rken since 2.6.32 so we need to use the DEADLINE sched ( which will give some slowness on large I/O operations )
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote