Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-10, 10:27 PM   #1
abedepaul81

Default why does this happen in my perfect OS?

I love Ubuntu but damnnnnnnnnnn! I am having so many problems with this graphics crap card!.

....down loaded 173.14.25 for 32 bit.
....stopped gdm
...sh the .run file
installing seems to start up fine then says:

"you do not appear to have an nvidia gpu supported by the 173.14.25........"

it lets me continue and agree to the terms, it proceeds and then BOOM !.....says it cant install and gets me back to terminal
abedepaul81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 10:59 PM   #2
weltall

Default Re: why does this happen in my perfect OS?

i ran and still run ubuntu since years and i'd not consider it perfect at all. anyway what card it is? and did you check the driver release notes (they list the supported cards)? for semplicity in ubuntu you might want to use the repository drivers in place of the installer from nvidia (also because it seems ubuntu screwed a lot of symlinks (they link to the mesa library) in the last release and the installer doesn't fix them manually), plus you'd have to reinstall the driver each time some types of updates are done.
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 11:06 PM   #3
abedepaul81

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltall View Post
i ran and still run ubuntu since years and i'd not consider it perfect at all.
I know lol....I love it and I know its not perfect...just being retarted

[qoute]

anyway what card it is? and did you check the driver release notes (they list the supported cards)? for semplicity in ubuntu you might want to use the repository drivers in place of the installer from nvidia[/quote]

Its a nvidia fx5200 card.
yes I did try the repository driver (i think i did .....and I installed them from the software center) but I get to that step and dont know where to go from there.
abedepaul81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 01:05 AM   #4
weltall

the repository driver should install from x and then ask you to reboot if i remember correctly, so shouldn't require you to stop gdm and run from terminal an application. you should see no install interface except the standard package install one you see for all applications. theoretically it should be supported you could check with lspci or lshw if the ids compare with the one in the release notes. also there are thirdy party repositories in launchpad might want to check them too although probably not needed as legacy updates aren't so frequent (and just adress kernel/x.org incompatibilities)
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 01:15 AM   #5
gradinaruvasile

First make sure that your monitor is connected to the nvidia card, not the onboard (seems stupid but i have seen this mistake before) and check the BIOS to see if there are some options regarding add-on cards initialization. You can disregard this if you know what are you doing/the card worked before in this setup.

You must uninstall all repository packages related to nvidia before you install the nvidia-provided driver and rename your xorg.conf. Also make sure you blacklist the nouveau driver (this one loads automatically and it conflicts with the nvidia module) and restart.
Probably the GUI wont load at all after reboot - just press ctrl+alt+f1, log in the text terminal, stop the gdm service and install the nvidia driver. Then you can start the gdm service.

Note that you must have the kernel headers installed (but i think that in Ubuntu those are installed by default).

Also, if you have installer errors, chack the sticky about the log files you have to provide in order to be helped (i think the nvidia installer creates an nvidia-installer.log file, look for it and attach it to your message).
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote