Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-10, 07:06 AM   #13
agentkay

Default Re: Onlive - Anyone try it?

OnLive..... the revolution of gaming... it is not, its the cancer of gaming.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 07:32 AM   #14
wysiwyg

it looked much much better than that for me
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 07:44 AM   #15
Vardant

They're using compression, of course it's gonna look bad in a screenshot...

This is more like it - http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/onli...-arena?size=hd

Once they introduce 1080p, it will be just fine.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 08:12 AM   #16
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I'm a founding member too. At its best, my connection gets 15+ Mbps down/1 Mbps up. Onlive says you need a minimum connection speed of 5 Mbps down, but the real caveat is to make sure you can get decent pings as well. Taking the test at speedtest.net and letting it choose an optimal server, the best result I've gotten is a ping around 35. Apparently this is too high, as the onlive app tells me at startup that it's detected a "high latency" connection and that there might be issues... and it's not lying, games run like ***.
I tried Assassin's Creed 2 and Fear 2, and both were thoroughly unplayable. The image looked OK but the delay was way too prevalent for those types of games. I suppose an RPG type game might be playable for me, but probably wouldn't be as enjoyable.

I really wish I lived in a bigger city where faster internet was available
haha, if ping of 35 is to high, then 99.99% of people won't be able to use it
Old 10-05-10, 08:15 AM   #17
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
They're using compression, of course it's gonna look bad in a screenshot...

This is more like it - http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/onli...-arena?size=hd

haha, then they will hve to install your own private server, no more then 10 miles from your house with dedicated fiber line straight to your house.
Old 10-05-10, 09:37 PM   #18
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
That makes no sense. 1080p will just mean more data across the same pipe, meaning higher compression ratios to keep the latency down. The problem is not the rendering resolution on the server side, it's how that translates into actual discernible pixels on the client side.

When you have compression artifacts already (depending on the game, significantly so) at 720p, you're far below showing the detail of actual 720p. The screenshots I've seen make a lot of games look barely above 800x600 in practical detail, "1080p" is simply a marketing bulletpoint. Digital Foundry came to a similar conclusion:

Quote:
There's also the issue of whether OnLive can really claim to offer a high-definition gaming service. Yes, when you're standing still, or if there is very little motion, or if the game is chiefly composed of very muted colours, you can reasonably call the image "HD", but when fast motion kills off the quality so dramatically, it's easy to believe that the picture quality often falls short even by 480p standards in terms of actual detail resolved. You can see for yourself by checking out some more assets we've prepared: Splinter Cell and DiRT 2 screenshot galleries.

Put it this way, if Blu-ray was so visually variable and so frequently ugly, nobody would be upgrading from standard definition DVDs. At the very least, players should be thankful that OnLive features playable demos for the vast majority of its content: video compression will vary enormously and dramatically from game to game, from moment to moment, from frame to frame even. The demos at least will at least give you some idea if your gameplay experience is being excessively gimped by the video encoding.

The weird thing is that OnLive is talking about upgrading to 1080p in 2011. This will inevitably require more bandwidth, and if that's the case, it really should be thinking about offering the option to use that throughput for improving 720p image quality, and in effect brute force through higher IQ. In many cases it clearly needs it.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...onlive-article

Still, with no monthly service, it at least seems like a good place to rent newer games if your pipe is good enough. I'll give it a shot eventually I'm sure.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 03:26 AM   #19
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh View Post
That makes no sense. 1080p will just mean more data across the same pipe, meaning higher compression ratios to keep the latency down. The problem is not the rendering resolution on the server side, it's how that translates into actual discernible pixels on the client side.
I thought it was obvious, that they are not offering 1080p because of the bandwidth limitation. Once they do, it will probably need 16 Mbps instead of 5 Mbps, that they require now for optimal use.
Old 10-06-10, 08:12 AM   #20
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

1080p won't fix anything.

Just because something is 1080p (1920x1080) it doesn't mean that it will look decent. They can't get 720p to look OK. What 1080p will do is triple-quadruple encoding time/processing power on the server side, require 3-4 times more bandwidth, and still will suffer from latency, because of longer encoding time even longer latency issues.

Old 10-06-10, 08:28 AM   #21
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I hope they didn't spend too much on development.. I really don't see this as useful to anyone. PC gamers with high end hardware aren't going to be interested and the rest of the gamers are console games which look about the same as this in screenshots. If you have a really old PC you probably won't have an internet connection to support this anyways. Seems like this was a gigantic waste of time and resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:30 AM   #22
wysiwyg

i think its useful to try a game before you buy

i tried darksiders on it and now i bought it! excellent game. I wouldnt have bothered with a demo download
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:33 AM   #23
Vardant

Not useful to anyone?

1. You can rent games, PC games, which is not possible anymore. Almost every game can be finished in matter of days, so you can save a considerable amount of money over a year.

2. They could actually offer even console games to everyone. That would be huge.

3. You can play on almost any notebook, that wouldn't otherwise handle games.
Old 10-06-10, 09:53 AM   #24
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Not useful to anyone?

1. You can rent games, PC games, which is not possible anymore. Almost every game can be finished in matter of days, so you can save a considerable amount of money over a year.

2. They could actually offer even console games to everyone. That would be huge.

3. You can play on almost any notebook, that wouldn't otherwise handle games.
They never said anything about console games.

If it looks like those screenshots who would want to play it?? thats not gaming...thats garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote