Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-04-10, 10:15 PM   #1
Technoholic

Send a message via MSN to Technoholic
Default CD Key Lost

My brother lost the CD Key for his Call of Duty 4 for PC, and he wants it back. If he loses it, there is no way to get it back, is there?

It's for his online game stats purpose.
-- EVGA 280GTX | SAMSUNG 225BW | X-FI XTREMEGAMER FPS | Z-5300e | Z-2300 | 250GB SEAGATE | RAZER LACHESIS
-- 320GB WESTERNDIGITAL | TAGAN 700W | G15 rev. 2 | NINE HUNDRED | VISTA HOME PREMIUM
-- no longer own this system

[MY LAPTOP]
-- MAC BOOK PRO 13" | DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | 2.3GHz i5 | 4GB DDR3 |
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD
-- Stolen :^(

[STUFF]
-- PSN: lqfocus06
-- AEKDB
Technoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 12:15 AM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: CD Key Lost

Your brother is pretty silly.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 01:20 AM   #3
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Why would he need his CD key? COD4 saves all the stats on the computer. Even if he had the CD key but he is reinstalling the game, he would still lose the stats. Obviously you would only need the CD key to reinstall the game. He can get a different key, enter it, and still play with the old stats I think.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 02:26 AM   #4
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

no it's tied to your cd key Bob.

there is a well documented method of performing a "manual adjustment" to your stats. It's perfectly legitimate to manually alter a new cd key to get yourself back to where you were imho.

beats starting from scratch again.

It's an old game anyway so I don't think anyone should care. it's not like you cheating to get ahead of everyone else.
Old 07-05-10, 03:05 AM   #5
bob saget

are you serious? well not originally. Maybe you can do some hack or something. But I know when I reinstalled, I started from scratch.
Old 07-05-10, 04:25 AM   #6
K007

the profile it creates is tied to ure key..
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 12:00 PM   #7
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

After a format, I lost my stats. So I did the next best thing and found a tool that lets you get to lvl 55. Granted I was only at 51 or something - I didn't feel bad about it. The only things I needed to unlock were some gold weapons and other useless nonsense.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 02:12 PM   #8
Logical

Lol CoD4 profiles are not tied to CD keys. The profiles are kept locally and can be backed up and used with any CD key. It is only if you change hardware or OS you 'might' run into probs.

t3hl33td4rg0n: Lvl 55 hack is a hack tool that is bannable by PB through MD5 checks streamed by 3rd party anticheat sites like PBbans and Punksbusted.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-10, 02:21 PM   #9
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
]Lol CoD4 profiles are not tied to CD keys. The profiles are kept locally and can be backed up and used with any CD key. It is only if you change hardware or OS you 'might' run into probs.

t3hl33td4rg0n: Lvl 55 hack is a hack tool that is bannable by PB through MD5 checks streamed by 3rd party anticheat sites like PBbans and Punksbusted.
This is what I thought. Sigh, so many memories from the last great mp fps other than BFBC2....
Old 07-06-10, 12:18 AM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
Install Game
Run tool
Install patches
done

Been doing it since that first format.

I still don't see why developers still dont use the damn My Documents\My Games folder. FFS get with the program!

I have savegames in that folder for years and I never have problems, it makes reinstallation much less of a pain. Most of the time, once the game is installed and patched (after a reformat or something) all your settings and save games are ready to go.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 04:14 AM   #11
K007

Quote:
Lol CoD4 profiles are not tied to CD keys. The profiles are kept locally and can be backed up and used with any CD key. It is only if you change hardware or OS you 'might' run into probs.

it must have been changed then after mw2 came out.

when i had to reinstall, no matter what i did it will not use my old profile and advised me that its corrupted and had to restart a new one, but then i realised the key was not entered via steam, so i manually added the key, copy the profile over again and it worked....

even a quick google has a lot of threads about how the key is tied to ure profile key. It doesn't mean u can't start a new profile/hack to 55, but if u wanted ure original stats/etc it seems the file it creates the mpdata one will not work with another key
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 09:09 AM   #12
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
it must have been changed then after mw2 came out.

when i had to reinstall, no matter what i did it will not use my old profile and advised me that its corrupted and had to restart a new one, but then i realised the key was not entered via steam, so i manually added the key, copy the profile over again and it worked....

even a quick google has a lot of threads about how the key is tied to ure profile key. It doesn't mean u can't start a new profile/hack to 55, but if u wanted ure original stats/etc it seems the file it creates the mpdata one will not work with another key
It must be different on steam with the way UAC works and puts the profiles in the 'compatibility files'. I can guarantee that with my hard copy of CoD4 i could do a format and then put the mp_data back into the profile and run the game....still have lvl55 and still have my golden weapons and still have my cfg's. It was only a few weeks ago i actually changed CD key as i had my copy of cod4 mixed with my sons copy. My PB GUID changed however i was still able to use my mp_cfg and my mp_data from the other CD key.

Maybe i got lucky or maybe there are certain factors that need to be met...

Use the same profile name etc...........

Edit: Ok i just tried 2 different CD keys on my cod4 and both worked fine except for the 5 minute wait of 'key code in use error' through PB servers. My weapons, stats and acheivements all stayed the same with both CD keys.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote