Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-06-10, 07:19 PM   #1
Son Goku

Default Could the login time possibly be extended server side?

OK, I'm done. I went to reply to this thread twice

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/newr...te=1&p=2283597

Both times the server logged me out from the time I logged in, to the time I posted due to some automatic watchdog logout for inactivity bit. I'm at the point I'm kind of tired of typing the same thing multiple times, and am just too lazy, to do it a third time.

Now I know some might be suggesting to have it add the cookie (keep me logged in, checked), but I'm not on my own computer, and rather not do this on someone elses. Too many times in the past had I fogot to clear cookies from public or other people's computers, only to get bit in the arse latter on. One such time, my email address got stored, and I started getting other people's reply mail, as they didn't set their own. I got such missives as the guy's reply from his irate ex-girlfriend when she broke up with him, etc. Now on the forum here, this couldn't happen, but someone else posting as one's self (with all it could entail) coudl happen if one cookies a computer that is not one's own.

Is it possible to not have such a short watch dog running, or not log one out quite so soon? I kind of hate typing the same thing more then once, 2 times and lost, umm that's where I'm a bit at the point of frustration wrt even wanting to continue with it
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:18 AM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Could the login time possibly be extended server side?

Or we could get expiring cookies. For example, a box that says "Keep me logged in for" then a dropdown box that has times in it, like 30 minutes, 1 hr, etc.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:56 AM   #3
Bearclaw

Hmmm. How long are you waiting from login to post? I never noticed this problem. I've logged in before and waited hours before I made a post, never logged out.

I did, however, have an issues, just like you said, where I would have to login multiple times just to post but it went away after a day or two.
Old 07-07-10, 11:08 PM   #4
Son Goku

Probably the box where this didn't come up was cookied. Which works on one's own computer, but public computers can be another story (OK that one was in my father's apartment). It was usually when I was in college, and was sometimes at the comps in the computer labs I ran into the, oh I forgot to delete the cache. And those lab computers usually were set to run with an inordinately large browser cache, measuring in the multiple GB range

And yeah, an option for temp vs permanent cookies could work also, if the user could be prompted so as to set their own computer different from someone elses...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 12:12 PM   #5
Albo

I've NEVER logged into this account from my PC. I did once and never since then.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote