Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-05-10, 10:22 PM   #61
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Tom's asks "Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
I was moreso joking. I know what they are and I can tell the difference, however, IMO, there is minimal difference at best. I simply don't mind not having it. So, no, I don't need top end hardware.
Joking or not, did you see the screenshot I linked? How anyone can call that "minimal at best" is amazing to me. It's basically akin to saying that there is a minimal difference between HD and SD television. And like I said, you don't need top end hardware for it, chances are whatever card you own can run it with minimal hit, if any.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 11:03 PM   #62
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tom's asks "Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Joking or not, did you see the screenshot I linked? How anyone can call that "minimal at best" is amazing to me. It's basically akin to saying that there is a minimal difference between HD and SD television. And like I said, you don't need top end hardware for it, chances are whatever card you own can run it with minimal hit, if any.
I saw it, and yes while there is a difference, this has now fallen on personal preference rather than would I get the latest hardware. For example, most games automatically choose levels for you to game at. Once they do that, I usually won't touch them. I simply don't need to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 01:26 PM   #63
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tom's asks "Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?"

So, after this thread, definitely considering an x3 for my next build...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 07:06 AM   #64
Biskit64
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15
Default Re: Tom's asks "Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?"

I bought a x3 445 , its a sweet little chip runs any game i want smoothly as a x3.
I was able to unlock the extra core and cache, so it was a excellent value.
Biskit64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 07:09 AM   #65
ragejg
nV News Alumni
 
ragejg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Finger Lakes of Hell, NY
Posts: 5,399
Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Tom's asks "Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
So, after this thread, definitely considering an x3 for my next build...
Look hard for inexpensive x4s around 2.7-3.0ghz though. Unless you have it @ 3.5ghz+ an x3 is starting to show its age, IMO. I say that based on my experiences with them (x3 8600B, x3 425, x3 720BE) over the last year. If you can deal with a bit of compromise, though, it's fine.
__________________

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU


______________________________________________
Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch


ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 09:32 AM   #66
Biskit64
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15
Default Re: Tom's asks "Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?"

My x3 445 will run @ 3.6ghz with no voltage adjustment , i can get it to 3.8 with voltage set at 1.46 but it gets a little warm.
Right not i have it running unlocked as a Phenom 2 x4 @ 3.1 ghz, but had to bump voltage to 1.35 to be truly stable in games.

If it was your chip would you run it as a overclocked x3 overclocked or a unlocked x4 ?
Biskit64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 10:54 AM   #67
ragejg
nV News Alumni
 
ragejg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Finger Lakes of Hell, NY
Posts: 5,399
Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Tom's asks "Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit64 View Post
My x3 445 will run @ 3.6ghz with no voltage adjustment , i can get it to 3.8 with voltage set at 1.46 but it gets a little warm.
Right not i have it running unlocked as a Phenom 2 x4 @ 3.1 ghz, but had to bump voltage to 1.35 to be truly stable in games.

If it was your chip would you run it as a overclocked x3 overclocked or a unlocked x4 ?
Idk, I have both, a decently overclocked Ph II x3 @ 3.5 and an unlocked Ph II x3 @ x4, 3.1. They both perform very similarly.
__________________

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU


______________________________________________
Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch


ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 11:01 AM   #68
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tom's asks "Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
Look hard for inexpensive x4s around 2.7-3.0ghz though. Unless you have it @ 3.5ghz+ an x3 is starting to show its age, IMO. I say that based on my experiences with them (x3 8600B, x3 425, x3 720BE) over the last year. If you can deal with a bit of compromise, though, it's fine.
I was going to get an x4 965 but the i7 930 was the same price on a sale a while back so I grabbed that.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.