Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-16-10, 11:55 AM   #13
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: OpenCL on FreeBSD

Please note that CUDA/OpenGL is not currently supported on Solaris, either.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 01:28 PM   #14
tbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
Please note that CUDA/OpenGL is not currently supported on Solaris, either.
You are totally annihilating my dreams about render farms with 4 nVidia card each running FreeBSD ... Of course I can always use shaders and textures to emulate CUDA/OpenCL and I'll look like a cool ninja hacker too , but why should I invent the wheel again. In that line of thoughts there could be made an open source library that will create OpenCL layer by using shaders (which is probably what those CUDA/OpenCL libs do anyway ?).
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:30 AM   #15
Vertex.Symphony

Yup, this something important to have, and I really don't understand why isn't supported already ...
Old 12-06-10, 09:48 AM   #16
Drohne

Personally, I prefer FreeBSD over Linux since I'm with FreeBSD since its beginning and was former using UNIX systems like OSF/1, SunOS and DEC Ultrix. FreeBSD has many advantages over a fast and wild growing OS Linux, which, I'm sure', surely has its favourite aspects. FreeBSD performs in many aspects much better when it comes to the point of delivering the CPU's performance to the user, in my and our cases scientists. I regret, that nVidia doesn't support CUDA/OpenCL on FreeBSD based platforms and I was wondering about this fact, is nVidia recently going to willing sto support even natively FreeBSD/amd64 X11 drivers for their magnificant GPUs.
The astrodynamical community shares a lot of code and some packages are based on CUDA as does for some well known thermodynamical radiativ scatter modells for the atmospheres of planetary bodies. But: the Berkeley UNIX systems, mainly FreeBSD, are excluded and are still excluded by intention.

There is a new concept underway. Most BSD systems change course in the compiler used for their base systems, going to distance to GNU gcc and incorporating LLVM/CLANG. As far as I understand, LLVM has the ability of being utilized via plugin device drivers for generating code for a specific GPU. So why isn't nVidia supporting this great concept by offering a kind of BLOB (plugin) providing capabilities of compiling nVidia GPU-specific code from a standard like OpenCL or even CUDA?
My point of view may seem naiv in a way, but the concept of UNIX was to be a independent widespraed platform. But graphics vendors seem to nail down this important thing to only one specific operating system (mainly windows) or Linux. And as a such platform, there should be a way, an easy way, to spend some time and money to provide also for BSD UNIX professional GPGPU solutions.
Old 05-01-11, 05:53 PM   #17
bsd_cuda_opencl

I also wish to use FreeBSD as the development platform for OpenCL or Cuda. I bought my first Nvidia graphic card after they released the first FreeBSD x64 driver. So, if Nvidia supports OpenCL/Cuda on FreeBSD, I am sure Nvidia graphic cards will be my first choice.
bsd_cuda_opencl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 01:20 PM   #18
HowardP

If Nvidia is listening ... please count my vote towards support of FreeBSD. There are many good reasons to do so, but if you don't recognize them, your competitor certainly will jump on it to gain a potentially significant edge.

GPU's hooked to servers make for some potent cloud computing. That many of the US National Labs and universities are converting from clusters of multi-cores to GPU's clearly shows the trend. And cloud-based rental number crunchers will continue to gain popularity.

FreeBSD runs many powerhouse server systems.

This is a no-brainer...

HowardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 10:22 AM   #19
Drohne

For all those using FreeBSD and wanting to use or develop HPC software and getting succesfully ignored by nVidia, there is a possible solution coming via the compiler vendor Pathscale. Their HMPP capable compiler, still not released to the market, will be capable of utilizing the nVidia GPU via "#pragma HMPP", like OpenMP. As far as I could digg out, there will also be a kind of CUDA support, but I have no further informations, since I did not get my BETA version of the compiler yet to test. Please look yourself at Pathscale's webpage and sneak into ENZO.

It is regretable that neither AMD nor nVidia support FreeBSD. This operating system is used on many backends and is waiting to come to popularity in science again as it was years ago. Rejecting support for GPGPU on FreeBSD is something to remember.

Since LLVM gets mature and is going on to adopt more and more OpenCL capabilities, I'm hoping that the course will change with the advent of AMDs new "Southern Island" GPUs this or beginning of next year. I will, for sure, suffer and wait and not wanting my department to purchase any new nVidia equipment until it will be clear whether AMD will support FreeBSD/OpenCL or nVidia isr offering adequate support. The next big player, Intel, is also on the brink of starting with GPGPU equipment. Therefore, I hope for their pressing and pushing support in drivers and OpenCL for alls *BSD operating systems.
Old 08-26-12, 03:28 AM   #20
Eisenfaust

After a year(!) of looking around, it is still a more than desperate situation on FreeBSD utilizing OpenCL (or CUDA). The nVidia driver are good, but incapable of providing OpenCL or CUDA to FreeBSD. Why is that so? The frustration can not be larger.

I tried also to find platforms where nVidia is present looking for "votes" for supporting FreeBSD and maybe other *BSD UNIX systems, but there wasn't any evidence nVidia has ever made statistical requests that reflects the recent situation and the wish of customers.

If there are platforms where this can be discussed others than this, please let me know.

Eisenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-12, 02:38 PM   #21
cervo

I would like to use CUDA or OpenCL on FreeBSD too.
cervo is offline   Reply With Quote