Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-04-10, 04:30 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default The Lord of the Rings Online Going Free

Launching this fall across North America and Europe, with Codemasters operating the game free-to-play in Europe, LOTRO will introduce Turbine’s innovative new pricing model that allows players to download the game and play for free, purchase expansions, quest packs, items, and account services a la carte from the new LOTRO Store, or join the VIP program to get unlimited access to all of the game’s content for one low price. Players interested in getting a sneak peek of the new LOTRO can sign up for a chance to participate in the Beta program which begins June 16, 2010 at http://www.lotro.com.

LOTRO will offer players unlimited choice!
* Free means Free! – Players will download LOTRO by visiting www.lotro.com and join with millions of other adventurers as they explore the most complete and authentic recreation of Middle-earth ever created and participate in LOTRO’s award-winning epic story up to level 50 for free.
* Visit the new LOTRO Store! -- The LOTRO Store is loaded with thousands of convenience items as well as expansion packs, premium content, additional character slots, potions, character customization and more! The LOTRO Store is seamlessly integrated into the game and lets the player identify new and exciting ways to enhance and customize their experience using points which can be purchased in the store or earned through gameplay.
* Be a LOTRO VIP! – Players who elect to become a LOTRO VIP will have unlimited access to all premium content, receive priority server access, 5 character slots, a shared bank slot, and a monthly allotment of points to spend in the new LOTRO Store.

http://www.lotro.com/
Old 06-04-10, 04:32 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Going Free

I might take another look into the game now. I tried it for 30 days and it never hooked me.
Old 06-04-10, 04:41 PM   #3
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I might take another look into the game now. I tried it for 30 days and it never hooked me.
Don't bother. It is a nice looking game and well done but it gets boring. I play every 3 or 4 month months for a week at a time then I get bored.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 05:53 PM   #4
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
Don't bother. It is a nice looking game and well done but it gets boring. I play every 3 or 4 month months for a week at a time then I get bored.
I do the same thing, and that's why this is great. You can have your week at a time for free.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 09:51 PM   #5
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
I do the same thing, and that's why this is great. You can have your week at a time for free.
I think you are right. I just know I will peter out again.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 01:10 AM   #6
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Hmm, I am really interested in trying this out when it goes free.
Old 06-20-10, 02:40 PM   #7
Lazaredz
Giggitty

I'm actually about to take some time off from LOTRO after playing pretty hard for 3 years.

The game is at a rather stale point right now and with no new content (supposedly) until fall, when it goes free to play, I just dont have anything to do. The last raid (BG) spends WAY too much time on trash pulls that aren't reliable and the loot is just awful.

Anywho, its nice to see some intrest though. Maybe the F2P will pull me back in with all the new faces ..... who knows.

Mobil: Sager 9261, Q6600, Unknown P965 MB, 4GB (2x2) PC2 6400, 7950 Go, Azalia Sound System, Hitachi 100GB 7200 RPM, Optiarc 8X DVD RW +/-, BIG ARSE BRICK PSU!!!!
Lazaredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 11:24 AM   #8
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Well, it's true that players are pissed off about the lack of new content. Obviously there is 12-18 months of new content development that was cut back to too small expansions and the development effort was put into free-to-play.

That is fine, however, if they use the new revenue to invest more into new content and in any case after f2p goes live they have the development resources back. I think it is fairly certain that this will happen, because f2p is a huge investment and they wouldn't do that with a game that they plan to get stale.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote