Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-06, 12:54 AM   #1
OWA

Arrow Prey Feedback Thread

I guess we normally start a new thread when the retail game is out so here it is.

Okay, as I've already mentioned in other threads, I downloaded the game tonight from Triton. The download speed was good but I don't like having to use the Triton player to launch the game. I'm not sure if I can create a shortcut and launch the game directly or not. I don't see any obvious way to do that yet.

Anyway, as far as the game goes, it's looking really good. One surprising thing is that I think it's allowing me to use the save games from the demo. I uinstalled the demo first but the save games were apparently left. So, I tried going through the portals where the demo ends and ended up going to another level. At this point though, I'm not totally sure it's a new level.

The game seems to be running really well but I did hit my first non-60fps area. In the demo, I was at 60fps at all times. Below are a few screenshots from the area I saw around 40-45fps. This level is called "All Fall Down" so maybe someone can shed light on whether I'm repeating or not. Also, I had to edit the config file to get 1920x1200. I thought I had read the retail game would support the widescreen resolutions out of the box. So, not sure if there is something up with the Triton version or not.

One of the Triton Player:

OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 12:56 AM   #2
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: Prey Feedback Thread

Those are definetely not from the demo Thanks for the feedback I wonder, does the full game have higher res textures than the demo? Often demos have lower texture sizes to keep the download size small.

And AFAIK, the full game you will still have to edit the cfg file. I have no idea why this is. Why do game developer fail to include widescreen options? It would take them all but 3 seconds to allow widescreen resolutions.
Old 07-11-06, 01:09 AM   #3
OWA

Okay, I definitely don't recommend the Triton service. I'm now in a state where it says the Package is not available and I can't launch the game. Grrr...

Edit: Now it's working again. I have no idea what's going on with it but I need to figure out how to play it offline.

Edit 2: Not sure yet but my 40'ish framerate at that one point could be b/c I seemingly have lost the 4-way AFR. I think b/c it's running through Triton the profile isn't being activated properly. I can't seem to force it either.

Edit 3: Don't think that was it. In the same area I'm in the 20s/30s now that the 4-way AFR isn't working.

Last edited by OWA; 07-11-06 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-11-06, 01:45 AM   #4
KickAssCop

All fall down is not the demo level. The game is good but after a while I have started to feel that its just a standard linear FPS. A solid one at that, but the enemy AI is just not challenging enough and the respawning with nearly full health after the spirit mini game is no fun, since the enemy has lost its half health so you are virtually in God mode at all times.

Apart from that complaint the level design, though linear, is still well done. There has been times I had to think what I had to do, something that hasn't happened since Farcry (and occassionally in FEAR).

Other than that, game is excellent, performance is excellent, graphics are well done, weapon sounds are weak but I guess its a trait of Doom 3 powered games since they tend to recycle sounds (apparently). I do however have objections to the amount of gore in this game. Its good and all, but sometimes its outright disgusting (like the clit like openings, bleeding holes, the penis shaped thingie that drops explosive pods), really its sad at times.

Overall, I feel its a solid 8-8.4 experience. Will post more when I am done with the game.
Intel Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz (400X8 FSB) | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 | Sapphire ATi 5850 @ 825/1175 | 250 GB WD SATA2 16 MB | 80 GB Seagate SATA 8 MB | 4 GB G.Skill DDR2 800 @ 1000 5-5-5-15 | Liteon 16X DVD RW | Samsung 22" 1680*1050 | Logitech G5 | FSP 600W PSU
KickAssCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 01:52 AM   #5
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Okay, I definitely don't recommend the Triton service. I'm now in a state where it says the Package is not available and I can't launch the game. Grrr...

Edit: Now it's working again. I have no idea what's going on with it but I need to figure out how to play it offline.

Edit 2: Not sure yet but my 40'ish framerate at that one point could be b/c I seemingly have lost the 4-way AFR. I think b/c it's running through Triton the profile isn't being activated properly. I can't seem to force it either.

Edit 3: Don't think that was it. In the same area I'm in the 20s/30s now that the 4-way AFR isn't working.
is the main executable named prey.exe??
Old 07-11-06, 01:56 AM   #6
OWA

Sort of. I think it's encrypted and gets decrypted when launched.

Just changing between windowed mode and full-screen and then changing the resolution seems to have restored the 4-way AFR.

Also, in my screencaps, it doesn't look like I was using max details. There is a "high" shader detail option that I thought was max but "highest" was the max setting.

Edit: Strangely enough, it seems to run better now that settings are maxed. I didn't drop below 60fps in the area I was in the 40'ish range when using "high".

Here are a couple now that I have it set to highest. I guess I'd have to compare from the same spot to notice the difference. At first glance, I don't see anything obvious.

Last edited by OWA; 07-11-06 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-11-06, 02:15 AM   #7
Hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
I wonder, does the full game have higher res textures than the demo? Often demos have lower texture sizes to keep the download size small.
I uninstalled the demo so I can't compare but I am almost sure that the textures are more detailed. Everything seems really sharp.

Great game. It's a shooter with a twist. Weird enviroments and crazy upside down stuff going on. Reminds me a bit of American McGee's Alice weird levels.
Old 07-11-06, 02:39 AM   #8
OWA

Just a couple of more screenshots.

I'm not sure on the texture res. I'd have to compare screenshots from both to know for sure.

Old 07-11-06, 02:52 AM   #9
Superfly
Retired

not grabbing me TBH, thanks for the screenies though and enjoy the game you guys.
Old 07-11-06, 03:25 AM   #10
svetli_pp

It is very dull game IMO. I don't like the bio-machinery symbiosis which is the main accent of the game. Those gravity and portal gimmicks are no good and do not help to pull the game from the realms of mediocrity. Maybe if my job was a gynaecologist I'd appreciate the game better The AI is awful and even a nice title from 10 years ago easily surpasses this grass high level.
svetli_pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 03:27 AM   #11
Lfctony

Enjoy the game guys, let us know if it's worth getting.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 03:27 AM   #12
Superfly
Retired

seems like a love it or hate kind of game so far, very mixed user reviews.