Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-16-10, 09:03 AM   #25
Albo

Default Re: Anyone else getting a Samsung Galaxy S phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Wow, that's pretty cool.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 11:08 AM   #26
betterdan

My air conditioner is leaking water on the floor so it kind of took away the happiness of getting the phone...
More later when I'm not pissed off by having to pay out money that I don't really have now
Old 07-16-10, 01:14 PM   #27
betterdan

good news about the air conditioner, a guy at work that does HVAC on the side came out and showed me how to attach a wet vac to the line and clean it out which fixed it and then he placed a T in the line to clean it easier next time.

Bad news on the phone front. I was google talking with my wife and I took a pic to use as my avatar or whatever and the phone locked up. I had to reboot it
Also the signal is kinda bad on this phone, I have seen online where it is being compared to the iphone 4 problem.
Old 07-16-10, 01:37 PM   #28
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Keep us updated.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 02:04 PM   #29
betterdan

Woohoo! My grand daughters just came over! My wife was playing Sims 3 on my phone and let the kids see then they proceeded to drop it on our hardwood floor.
There was a notification that the SD card was removed without being dismounted and now Avatar and the trailer that were on it will not play. Tried turning off the phone then reseating the memory card and turning it back on and still the same problem.
I took the SD card out and have it plugged into the computer. I can see both files and it will play the Quicktime trailer ok, the computer can't play the file format they have Avatar in though. I am going to try and copy it to the HDD then format the SD card and put it back in and see if that helps.

Always something... I wish I would have never got up this morning.
Old 07-16-10, 03:18 PM   #30
betterdan

Ok better news, I made a backup of the folder "Movie" on the SD card. I then put the SD card back in and started to format it but first checked to see if the movies would play now, they did.
Also it seems like to me the lockup of the phone earlier may have been due to the Weather Channel app I installed early this morning. I uninstalled it for now and am using the Accuweather app that was on the phone. It is much quicker anyways but I trust Weather channel's forecasts more. Seems to be running fine as of now. Whew I hope that is the end of the drama for today, I can't take much more
Old 07-16-10, 03:29 PM   #31
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

I'm really looking forward to hearing about battery life. Since the hummingbird is on a smaller process it should be much more efficient than the snapdragon phones.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 03:47 PM   #32
betterdan

Well as much screwing around with it I have been doing it's hard to say because I have been constantly messing with it. It had a full charge at about 6:30 this morning and now it's at 30%

Old 07-16-10, 03:54 PM   #33
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Woohoo! My grand daughters just came over! My wife was playing Sims 3 on my phone and let the kids see then they proceeded to drop it on our hardwood floor.

What do you hate about the phone? Or dislikes so far?
Old 07-16-10, 04:11 PM   #34
betterdan

Well I absolutely hate the signal problem I am having. My wife's garminfone doesn't get that good of a signal in the house either so I expected it but damn I couldn't even get it to aquire a GPS signal last night coming home and Google maps wasn't working at all either because I couldn't get a data connection.
My wife's Garminfone will get a good 3G signal just a block down the street and keep it and of course it locks onto the GPS easily since it's main focus is as a GPS.

Google Maps will get stuck if I press "My Location" when I have GPS turned on and it can't lock in on a signal. I can't get out of it except by pressing the home key but then Google maps is unusable again unless i turn off the phone and back on. I thought it may have been that Weather Channel app for some reason but nope. I think Google Maps is trying to lock onto a GPS signal and can't so it just sits there waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting until I turn off the phone and clear it.

I am starting to grow impatient with the phone now after using it for a while... it may end up going back to T Mobile and me getting a Garminfone which just works. Sure it may not have as much fanciness but damn at least it works and doesn't lock up.
Old 07-16-10, 04:31 PM   #35
Albo

Is Google Maps built into the phone?
Old 07-16-10, 04:34 PM   #36
betterdan

Yes.
I downloaded an update that added navigation for it too.
Garmin's GPS is way better than it however.

I went outside on the porch and it took about 5 minutes to lock on and get a GPS signal. Too long in my opinion. My wife's phone and our older garmin GPS get a signal in about a minute.

Another thing I don't like but can live with as it's not a huge deal, but the usb connection is not the regular mini usb but instead a micro usb connection so I can't just use any of the many usb cables I have laying around.
Micro is on the left and the mini connection is on the right like the phone uses for it's charger.