Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-03, 06:52 PM   #1
dougs

Default NVIDIA OpenGL Extensions

I am trying to use NVIDIA OpenGL extensions on Linux. I have successfully used NV_vertex_program, NV_register_combiners, and other NVIDIA extensions on Windows.

Based on the Linux ABI for OpenGL extensions at opengl.org, it appears that I should call glXGetProcAddress() to get a function pointer to the extension functions. (Similar to wglGetProcAddress() on windows). When I am using a default RedHat 9.0 install with the "nv" driver in XF86Config. The application links and runs fine. Obviously, without the NVIDIA extensions as I would expect.

After I install the NVIDIA drivers with the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run script and set the driver to "nvidia" in XF86Config, I get the following error when I run the application.

relocation error: undefined symbol: glXGetProcAddress()

If I try and recompile the application, I now get a linker error:

undefined reference to 'glXGetProcAddress()'

since the NVIDIA install changed the OpenGL shared library which does not contain glXGetProcAddress().

Why is glXGetProcAddress() not in the NVIDIA library and what is the proper way to query and use NVIDIA OpenGL extensions on Linux?

Thanks

Doug Service
dougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-03, 07:49 PM   #2
Jallen

Use glXGetProcAddressARB.
Jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-03, 12:47 PM   #3
dougs

Default Problem Solved

I had to define GLX_GLXEXT_LEGACY to make the prototype for glXGetProcAddressARB() visible to the application, otherwise the problem is solved. I am now able to get pointers to all of the NVIDIA OpenGL extensions.

Thanks

Doug Service
dougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 10:18 PM   #4
lvcargnini

Send a message via ICQ to lvcargnini
Angry Re: NVIDIA OpenGL Extensions

Jesus!!!!!
When NVidia will really fix this ?
The year is 2005 almost 2006 and i'm using the driver 7676 with my FBSD 6.0 and ERROR remain the same!!!!!!!!
lvcargnini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 01:48 AM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: NVIDIA OpenGL Extensions

This is not a NVIDIA bug, glXGetProcAddress() is part of GLX 1.4, which the NVIDIA Linux/UNIX graphics driver doesn't claim to support (nor do I think was GLX 1.4 ever finalized); you should always use glXGetProcAddressARB().
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 04:14 PM   #6
eaburns

Unhappy Re: NVIDIA OpenGL Extensions

The driver doesn't support 1.4 maybe, however, why doesn't it install a compatible
header file for glx? I believe in Linux a new glx header file is installed since this problem never has occured for me untill switched to BSD.
eaburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 04:37 PM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: NVIDIA OpenGL Extensions

On FreeBSD, the NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX header files are installed to the documentation directory by default; future NVIDIA Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris graphics driver releases (with the exception of legacy driver releases) will support GLX 1.4 (which was recently finalized).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote