Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-14-10, 01:31 PM   #1
Yaboze

Default Need help, missing RAM on EVGA X58

[Resolved]

The GSkill Ripjaws came and I installed them. Rebooted several times, all is good. Memtest86 passed. It was the Corsair ram the whole time.

See sig for specs.

I got this set up in March from Microcenter.

It's been working great for over 4 months.

Over the weekend I put in a EVGA GTX 480 and it's been working great. I think this is when my issue started but I can't be sure.

On Sunday, I removed the 285 from device manager and removed the rest of the Nvidia drivers and shut down. I unplugged the PC, removed the 285, put in the GTX 480, fired it up, installed the latest driver and I shut down when it asked to reboot. I didn't reboot because I wanted to put my side panel back on and fix the wires coming from the side fan. I turned the PC on and used it all day Sunday and left the PC on until Monday AM when I went to work.

I came home from work Monday and turned it on and everything was OK. I did the same thing, left it on, shut it down Tuesday morning, went to work.

On Tuesday, after work, I turned it on and got some Windows updates and restarted. When I got back into Windows 7, it said 6.00 GB (3.99 Usable). I played with all of the setting and reseated the RAM but if I start cold, it will have 6GB, but any restart after that, I will lose 2GB, even in the BIOS it shows 4GB.

CPUZ and ELEET show triple channel still. They show the mem in the proper slots of 1,3 and 5.

If I shut down and let the PC sit for 10 mins and start it back up, I have 6GB again.

My CPU ide temp on the MB LED is 38.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Yaboze; 07-17-10 at 01:47 PM.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 02:07 PM   #2
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Re: Need help, missing RAM on EVGA X58

Few simple tests....

Download linux, burn a live-cd. Boot into it (don't install) and just see if it reports all 6gb of RAM. You'll need the 64-bit version obviously but that'll narrow it down to either a hardware or windows problem.
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Another simple test is to run memtest 86.... it'll be on the same live-cd I just pointed you to. Report back what your findings are.

I'm assuming you're on a 64-bit windows 7 install... right?
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 02:22 PM   #3
darkrider01
A little rough at first

Wink Re: Need help, missing RAM on EVGA X58

I had a very similar issue when I was running Corsair DDR3-1600 modules. Before going through a lot of testing, I would go into your BIOS and manually set the timings for your memory modules. When I had the Corsair RAM, if I left the timings on Auto, I would randomly lose 2-4GB upon a reboot (I had 6 x 2GB). When I manually set the timings, the sticks would all show up on reboot.
School Bus - Intel i7 4770K * ASRock Z87 Extreme6/AC * EVGA GTX 590 * Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz DDR3* Alienware TactX Keyboard * RAZER Mamba * Pioneer DVR-212D * Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD * 10+TB Other Storage * Ultra X3 1000W PSU * Dell U2913WM * Beats by Dr. Dre headphones * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Cooler Master HAF XB * Cooler Master Hyper N520 * Windows 7 Ultimate
Mass Transit - Xeon E3-1275 V2 * G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 * EVGA GTX660 * Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD * Seagate Momentus XT 750GB * Dell 2001FP * Viewsonic VX2250 * Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate
RV - Alienware M18x * i7 2670QM * Dual 560 GTX * 1.25TB Storage * Windows 7 Ultimate
Van by the River - Panasonic PT-AX200U * Homebrew 9' x 5' screen * Pioneer VSX-1121-K * Bose Acoustimass 6 * Velodyne VX10 Subwoofer * PS3/Xbox/Xbox360/Wii/WiiU/DirecTV HR22
Packin HEAT
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 02:27 PM   #4
Yaboze

I'll give it a shot, darkrider01.

The weird thing is I had no issues for 4 months. No crashes, lockups or BSOD's. I only reboot for a new driver or when Windows update forces me to. I put in a new GPU and this happens. I am running Windows x64 and even the BIOS shows 4GB when it happens, so it's not a Windows issue.
Old 07-14-10, 06:35 PM   #5
Yaboze

I went into the BIOS and set the timings manually. Still the same thing.

I tested each DIMM alone in Slot 1 and ran Memtest. It posted with each and each module tested OK.

I put all 3 back in and ran Memtest again and it passed with all 3.

Going to reseat CPU now.........
Old 07-14-10, 09:00 PM   #6
Yaboze

Took off heatsink, cleaned off thermal grease off heatsink and CPU, took CPU, no bent pins. Put some new Arctic Silver on it, reseated everything and didn't use too much pressure.

Tested the system again with the 3 modules in, it passed all 8 Memtest tests.

I have no idea WTF is going on.

But the system is rock stable either way, I just lose 2GB of ram on a warm restart.
Old 07-14-10, 11:02 PM   #7
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra

have u tried testing the ram sticks on another machine?
Old 07-15-10, 12:53 AM   #8
Roliath

Updated Bios on x58?
Remove the 480, and put the 285 back in. Still the same problems?
Or just download ubuntu live-cd or similar. Run Memtest.

EDIT: Are you overclocked? Maybe not enough volts to the cpu?

Old 07-15-10, 08:07 AM   #9
Yaboze

I don't have another DDR3 machine to test them in, but I have some GSkill DDR3 on the way to test. Also, I discovered that my RAM isn't on the QVL from EVGA and my MB isn't listed on the Corsair site for that ram.

Is it possible to have good testing ram that just doesn't work properly? Or does the QVL only represent what they actually test?

Roliath: I updated the X58 bios, no difference. I'll try the 285 again. I'm not overclocked, everything is stock, ram is on XMP 1, everything is auto. I was going to start OCing but I wanted to get this straightened out first after my 480 purchase. This all started after the 480, but I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence.

I ran Memtest 86+ 4.10, I have a standalone CD of it. The problem is not the OS, the problem exists before I even get to the OS. It shows only 4GB in the BIOS and when it happened and I ran Memtest, it showed all 3 modules on the bottom (SPD) but only showed 4GB in the test up top!

I can literally turn it on cold, go into the bios before the OS, look and have it show 6GB, then exit the bios, reboot, press DEL, go into the bios again and have it show 4GB. Every reboot after that will be 4GB, sometimes 2GB. I'll never get 6GB again unless I power off.

It's almost as if the 480 is randomly taking my ram.....
Old 07-15-10, 12:46 PM   #10
frenchy2k1

can you push voltages for your RAM and your CPU memory controller? Adding the 480GTX may have increase the load enough on your power supply to drop your voltages enough to bother your RAM.
Old 07-15-10, 01:26 PM   #11
Yaboze

I can try that, but I have a 1000W PSU.
Old 07-15-10, 04:12 PM   #12
Yaboze

Just checked with the 285, it's still doing it. Checked CPU again, it looks good, the socket looks good (with magnifying glass), no bent pins. Put it all back, carefully. The same.