Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-10, 01:33 PM   #1
nomec

Default New Game from Titan Quest Developers

Well, it's not from Iron Lore, but from a new company called Crate that has some old Iron Lore developers in it. The game is called Grim Dawn and it looks to be a spiritual successor to Titan Quest. Here is the web page: http://www.grimdawn.com/about.php.

They are also doing pre-orders like Natural Selection 2 to help fund development and possibly preventing the need for a publisher. I am probably going to pre-order this game to support these guys as they did a great job with Titan Quest but weren't able to continue updating it because of funding issues.
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 01:40 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: New Game from Titan Quest Developers

The funding issues came from the game not selling well at all. I am going to wait, it will probably be a fun game but I am hoping that they offer randomized levels to help with replayability.
Old 01-20-10, 01:59 PM   #3
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I thought Titan Quest was pretty boring.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 02:21 PM   #4
HiCZoK4

BEcouse it was MEGA-TITAN-BORING-QUEST
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 02:33 PM   #5
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Awesome! I've been waiting to hear from them on new game. I'm going to pre-order since I love Titan Quest. Especially it's been said it should be around $20.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 03:07 PM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I thought Titan Quest was pretty boring.
for me it played like a better Diablo
Old 01-20-10, 09:48 PM   #7
Moo
*BANNNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
for me it played like a better Diablo
Roger that
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 12:11 AM   #8
LurkerLito

I thought TQ was great. I don't know if I'd preorder though, ETA early 2011 assuming no problems, not even screenshots on the page yet.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-10, 11:00 AM   #9
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
The funding issues came from the game not selling well at all. I am going to wait, it will probably be a fun game but I am hoping that they offer randomized levels to help with replayability.
That's partially true... My understanding is that THQ hammered out a pretty aggressive distribution deal with Ironlore that basically guaranteed them no income until they met a specific target of sales. TQ has sold relatively well, and continues to sell and be played by a lot of people... had Digital Download Indie works been bigger when TQ was released, I'd say that Ironlore would never have gone out of business. If Torchlight can sell as well as it has, Titan Quest could have sold as much or more having a more hashed out story, more varied environments, and multiplayer.

The fact that Grim Dawn is coming out as a digital download indie game, they should do much better even if they sell fewer copies than they did of the original TQ. The one thing that's always impressed me about Ironlore is that they were frequently hanging around the titanquest.net forums, providing assistance, and creating patches based on feedback (they were even hoping to create an additional patch for TQ even though THQ refused to pay them for the work - eventually Ironlore went out of business and put the nail in that one).

Either way, I'm looking forward to this and I hope their 'fan funding' experiment works out.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 11:15 AM   #10
|MaguS|

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/03/thq-blames-pira/

Quote:
THQ’s Michael Fitch places the blame for the closure of Titan Quest developer Iron Lore Entertainment, squarely on the shoulders of game pirates, though he does suggest that they may have had a bit of help from dumb players, hardware vendors, and one particularly stupid reviewer.
Pretty good read about how he goes off on all those issues which honestly are some of the problems with PC Gaming Industry.
Old 01-22-10, 12:10 PM   #11
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I think Iron Lore's failure can be attributed to multiple things as Kaguya makes clear, piracy certainly being one of them.

Of course ask a pirate and he will tell you it has nothing to do with that.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 12:39 PM   #12
Buio

The approach they are taking with this game looks a lot like Torchlight. Small scale, keep it cheap and sell digitally. I don't know any numbers from Torchlight, but seems to have done fairly well.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote