Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-22-10, 09:30 AM   #1
Milena

Default GTX 470 switching from X to tty freezes system

Hi there

I upgraded from a GTX 275 to a GTX 470 and unfortunately first impressions were nothing but good. I used to have a framebuffer resolution of 1920x1200 (thats my native screen resolution), with uvesafb to have tty's and a bootsplash in this resolution but the 470 only support 1600x1200 for an unknown reason (the 275 did 1920x1200 fb just fine). While X works suitable with Xorg 1.8, Gnome 2.30 and Compiz enabled I get 5-10 second lockups when switching to a tty. When switching back to X Xorg freezes for good. Sometimes the whole system hard freezes and i have to reset. I tried to completely disable the framebuffer for bootsplash and tty's and just leave it to the default text console but it has the same result.
Is the Nvidia driver just not ready for fermi gpus or is it yet another Xorg problem i didn't encounter with my 275 ? I changed cards again to check and with the GTX 275 everything is perfect. In 3D and Games e.g. Unigine Heaven the 470 works pretty good, no problems there at all.

I will post an attached bug report, if required, later.

Many thanks in advance
Milena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 08:50 PM   #2
Milena

Default Re: GTX 470 switching from X to tty freezes system

Well i found out the freezes/lag are only with Compiz enabled and it must be something with the Compiz VSync option. If VSync is disabled X doesn't freeze when Compiz takes over compositing again after switching back from TTY to X. No problems when using Metacity.
Dmesg gives NVRM: Xid errors when the freezes/lag occur. Maybe something with Compiz, Nvidia Driver and GTX400 cards, i put my GTX275 back in and can confirm the issue is gone.
Milena is offline   Reply With Quote