Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-21-10, 05:48 AM   #1
tpievila

Default X won't start

I've had a string of problems with this card (XFX GTX 260 black) always, but they have been tolerable. My second display often gets completely corrupted (screenwide flicker of whitish color, goes away by rebooting) while playing or watching HD video on primary display, or the whole computer might completely freeze when doing something with the GPU (CUDA, HD video or 3D games, never with plain desktop). Sometimes it has frozen so badly that a simple reset won't help, instead I've needed to take the power off for a few seconds to get to GDM again. All this while temperatures are nothing critical, nor anything else obvious going amiss.

But now starting X in boot does not work anymore. Instead the X just fully uses one complete core for kernel code (according to htop). I can't even generate the bug report, as the nvidia-bug-report.sh freezes too.

Any hints on how to start debugging this last problem are greatly appreciated, solving the original problems are a bonus.
tpievila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 05:50 AM   #2
tpievila

Default Re: X won't start

In case it matters, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, with kernel 2.6.32-23, drivers 195.36.24 and X 1:7.5+5ubuntu.
Old 07-21-10, 07:49 AM   #3
tpievila

*sigh*. After struggles, I managed to get 256.35 installed into the machine, and now X starts again. Interesting, since between the boots today I hadn't updated my kernel nor my drivers, yet X spontaneously broke down. Has happened before, though then reinstalling the distro provided drivers has been enough (not so this time).

I'll see when I get the flickering problem again and post debug logs. Hints on the freezing problem would still be needed, as there's nothing in any logs visible after reboot.
Old 07-24-10, 04:51 PM   #4
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpievila View Post
*sigh*. After struggles, I managed to get 256.35 installed into the machine, and now X starts again. Interesting, since between the boots today I hadn't updated my kernel nor my drivers, yet X spontaneously broke down. Has happened before, though then reinstalling the distro provided drivers has been enough (not so this time).

I'll see when I get the flickering problem again and post debug logs. Hints on the freezing problem would still be needed, as there's nothing in any logs visible after reboot.
see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 and attach that report
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote