Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-10, 08:22 PM   #37
Lyme

Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
My main problem with Kinect is not that you have to stand to play, although I think that sucks too. I just cannot stand any lag in my games, and from what I have seen Kinect has a lot of it. This would just ruin the experience for me.
I know what you mean, I have a iphone 3g and had to restore it to iOS 3.1.3 because 4+ is soo very laggy.

As for kinect, it may be laggy now, it may be laggy then, but until it is released we don't know for sure.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 08:23 PM   #38
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I most likely weight far less then you... I don't want to play games standing because I work and when I play games I want to relax. Working up a sweat is when i want to exercise, not play videogames.
Sorry man, you're just not my type.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 06:32 AM   #39
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around, love is in the air, even when I'm sitting down.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 07:13 AM   #40
XDanger
Whaaat?

The depth thing is very relevant with 3D ,but regular TV meh.
Old 08-09-10, 09:06 AM   #41
Yaboze

I'll get the PS3 eye motion thing, maybe. I'm not getting Kinect.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 09:22 PM   #42
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Kinect to read American Sign Language. That's actually pretty cool because I'm deaf and uses ASL. I'm really thinking Kinect is going to be awesome when it's out. I already pre-ordered it and can't wait to have fun with it.

http://www.slashgear.com/kinect-pate...orted-0696767/

UPDATE: Guess Kinect will not support sign language.

Quote:
The patent for Microsoft's motion-sensing camera Kinect suggested that the device could understand American Sign Language. Well, it can't. At least, the version going on sale in November can't.

Responding to the claims made in the patent, Microsoft has told Kotaku "We are excited about the potential of Kinect and its potential to impact gaming and entertainment. Microsoft files lots of patent applications to protect our intellectual property, not all of which are brought to market right away. Kinect that is shipping this holiday will not support sign language."

So why did the patent suggest it could? Well, sources close to the evolution of Kinect's development tell us it's because the version of the hardware that'll be available later this year isn't as capable as was originally intended.

The original Kinect had a much higher resolution (over twice that of the final model's 320x240), and as such, was able to not only recognise the limbs of a player as the current model version can, but their fingers as well (which the current version can't). And when the hardware could recognise fingers, it would have been able to read sign language.

But that capability came at a cost, and while Microsoft had always intended Kinect to sell for $150, "dumbing down" the camera would have meant that Microsoft wouldn't be losing as much money on each unit sold, an important point should Kinect prove to be a failure. So dumb it down they did, reducing the camera's resolution (which in turn reduced the number of appendages it'd have to track) and placing the burden for some of the device's processing on the console and not Kinect's own hardware.

This probably isn't the first time you've heard such a rumour, but this latest time at least explains why Kinect can't read sign language!
http://kotaku.com/5609840/kinect-dum...-sign-language

Oh well. Still looking forward to Kinect this November.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!

Last edited by NaitoSan; 08-11-10 at 02:09 AM.
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 02:32 AM   #43
crainger

Pretty low res camera. ::

Should be 12MP so it can read my eyebrow movements when playing Lara.
Old 08-11-10, 09:51 AM   #44
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Pretty low res camera. ::

Should be 12MP so it can read my eyebrow movements when playing Lara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
The original Kinect had a much higher resolution (over twice that of the final model's 320x240), and as such, was able to not only recognise the limbs of a player as the current model version can, but their fingers as well (which the current version can't). And when the hardware could recognise fingers, it would have been able to read sign language.

But that capability came at a cost, and while Microsoft had always intended Kinect to sell for $150, "dumbing down" the camera would have meant that Microsoft wouldn't be losing as much money on each unit sold, an important point should Kinect prove to be a failure. So dumb it down they did, reducing the camera's resolution (which in turn reduced the number of appendages it'd have to track) and placing the burden for some of the device's processing on the console and not Kinect's own hardware.

How expensive could a 640x480 camera be? I think that's a load of bull****.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-10, 09:54 AM   #45
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

wow, what bunch of bull****
Old 08-11-10, 12:00 PM   #46
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
I predict this gay addon will hit an alltime low in sales. Most people who like the motion controls are already happy playing with their Wii.
Can't sell worse than the Sega 32x I wasted my frist communion money on.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 12:37 PM   #47
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Can't sell worse than the Sega 32x I wasted my frist communion money on.
What'd you spend your second communion money on?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 03:00 PM   #48
crainger

360 HD DVD drive.

I still use mine BTW. Funny how a forgotten device without any recent software updates still plays movies that look better than most BDs. Ah, that's another story for another thread.