Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-10, 05:20 PM   #61
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
You clearly know nothing. The PS3 Eye is not 100 dollars alone. At all. It is 40 dollars brand new at Gamestop. Probably pick it up even cheaper elsewhere, but I just checked Gamestop real quick. Why are the customers paying for the "expensive" software of the camera? That cost shouldn't be repeating for every camera bought. MS is ripping everybody that buys this thing off, and you seem to be content and almost willing to take it with no lube.

Kung Fu Live does basically everything the Kinect does and all it requires is a 40 dollar camera.
Whoops, my mistake about pricing on EyeToy. But did you read the article on Kinect hardware, especially on 3D sensor. 3D sensor is the main reason why it's a little expensive. I'm here explaining the facts based off what I have read because someone like you seems not to know anything about it but to bash Microsoft.

If Kinect releases without 3D sensor, it'll be basically like EyeToy and costs under $99.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 05:29 PM   #62
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur
 
Mr. Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,294
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
Whoops, my mistake about pricing on EyeToy. But did you read the article on Kinect hardware, especially on 3D sensor. 3D sensor is the main reason why it's a little expensive. I'm here explaining the facts based off what I have read because someone like you seems not to know anything about it but to bash Microsoft.

If Kinect releases without 3D sensor, it'll be basically like EyeToy and costs under $99.
Move senses depth. What now, playboy?
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 05:30 PM   #63
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
Yeah but depth sensing camera is something special, it does more than regular camera. It can sense the depth between camera to 10+ feet away. I could imagine it can be a bit expensive (including software written for this to come with). It's not that 640x480 is easy to come- it costs money. It's no EyeToy and makes you wonder why EyeToy is still expensive ($99 alone).

This is a good read about Kinect hardware itself if you're interested.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/08/de...osofts-dreams/
almost every digital camera can detect depth, really nothing special
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 06:25 PM   #64
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
Whoops, my mistake about pricing on EyeToy. But did you read the article on Kinect hardware, especially on 3D sensor. 3D sensor is the main reason why it's a little expensive. I'm here explaining the facts based off what I have read because someone like you seems not to know anything about it but to bash Microsoft.

If Kinect releases without 3D sensor, it'll be basically like EyeToy and costs under $99.
The PS3 Eye can sense depth, has a better microphone and higher refresh rate then the camera in Kinect. On a technical level the PS3 Eye is superior. There's already a PSN game that is doing just what Kinect claims to do.

Quote:
Field of View:
Kinect: 57
PS3 Eye: 56 or 75

Camera Resolution:
Kinect: 320x240@30FPS/640x480@30FPS
PS3 Eye: 320x240@120FPS/640x480@60FPS

Audio Recoding:
Kinect: 16-bit audio @ 16 kHz (Unknown Quantity Array)
PS3 Eye: 16-bit audio @ 48 kHz (4mic Array)
http://kotaku.com/5611048/put-yourse...k-someones-ass

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153198
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 06:31 PM   #65
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Ugh, do you guys read the article? Probably not.

Secondary camera isn't "other cheap webcam," if you knew what exact 3D sensor is, then you should know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
3D sensing has been around for 15 years, Raghu explains. What Microsoft has done, he says, is taken 3D depth-mapping technology that typically costs $US10,000 to $US150,000 and made it at volume, for cheap.

The way the optical system works, on a hardware level, is fairly basic. A class 1 laser is projected into the room. The sensor is able to detects what’s going on based on what’s reflected back at it. Together, the projector and sensor create a depth map. The regular old video camera is held at a specific distance away from the 3D part of the optical system in a precise alignment, so that Kinect can blend together the depth map and RGB picture for dynamic, on-the-fly greenscreening.
Now you see why 3D sensor isn't cheap. That's what makes Kinect something special.

I didn't say EyeToy can't read body movements but more likely not as good. With extra hardware and better software Kinect has, it should or I'll be pissed. I'm still disappointed it won't read sign language.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 06:37 PM   #66
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
The PS3 Eye can sense depth, has a better microphone and higher refresh rate then the camera in Kinect. On a technical level the PS3 Eye is superior. There's already a PSN game that is doing just what Kinect claims to do.



http://kotaku.com/5611048/put-yourse...k-someones-ass

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153198
You forgot EyeToy doesn't have secondary camera with 3D depth mapping so Kinect is techincally superior.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 06:43 PM   #67
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur
 
Mr. Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,294
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
Ugh, do you guys read the article? Probably not.

Secondary camera isn't "other cheap webcam," if you knew what exact 3D sensor is, then you should know what I'm talking about.



Now you see why 3D sensor isn't cheap. That's what makes Kinect something special.

I didn't say EyeToy can't read body movements but more likely not as good. With extra hardware and better software Kinect has, it should or I'll be pissed. I'm still disappointed it won't read sign language.
So because Microsoft went a more retarded, expensive way to sense 3d, it is ok to charge a retarded price for a CAMERA? You probably bought a 120 gig 360 harddrive too, didn't you? I mean... it was ENCLOSED!@#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
You forgot EyeToy doesn't have secondary camera with 3D depth mapping so Kinect is techincally superior.
EyeToy does everything the Kinect does for about 25% of the price.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 06:56 PM   #68
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
So because Microsoft went a more retarded, expensive way to sense 3d, it is ok to charge a retarded price for a CAMERA? You probably bought a 120 gig 360 harddrive too, didn't you? I mean... it was ENCLOSED!@#!

EyeToy does everything the Kinect does for about 25% of the price.
Whatever you say, it's your opinion man. And no, I didn't buy 120 GB HDD, it came with Elite.

I have some doubts with EyeToy, especially be able to do everything what Kinect does and accurately.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-10, 06:57 PM   #69
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur
 
Mr. Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,294
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
Whatever you say, it's your opinion man. And no, I didn't buy 120 GB HDD, it came with Elite.

I have some doubts with EyeToy, especially be able to do everything what Kinect does and accurately.
Why? Because it doesn't cost a retarded amount?
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 07:01 PM   #70
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Why? Because it doesn't cost a retarded amount?
Because I can, like you have some doubts with Kinect, let alone whining about how retarded expensive it is, blah blah.

It's not about pricing, it's about how well it can detect body movements accurately so I'm saying Kinect will do much better than EyeToy.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 07:19 PM   #71
Blackcat
Registered User
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Maine
Posts: 244
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
Whatever you say, it's your opinion man. And no, I didn't buy 120 GB HDD, it came with Elite.

I have some doubts with EyeToy, especially be able to do everything what Kinect does and accurately.

You really need to do more research on what the people, reviewers, and developers are saying. Now I have been following both the kinect and move closely and you can find positive and negative articles for both, but as a whole the move is getting a lot more favorable reviews than kinect. Here is a preview I found for the Kinect today, and it is similar to many more I have seen recently. For something as technologically advanced it sure has some bugs to iron out before launch.

http://www.dealspwn.com/kinect-sports-handson-preview/

This is an example I found today and is typical of what I have been reading about the move:

http://www.incgamers.com/Previews/20...s-on-preview/2
__________________
Gateway P-6860FX laptop, Core2 Duo X7800 @3.00 ghz, Nvidia 8800M GTS 512MB, Windows Vista 64, 320 GB hard drive, 4 GB DDR2
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 09:03 PM   #72
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
You forgot EyeToy doesn't have secondary camera with 3D depth mapping so Kinect is techincally superior.
Yes Kinect is so superior that it can't detect someone if they are sitting down or differentiate the difference between a voice in front of it or from another room.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.