Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-12-10, 09:04 PM   #73
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Default Re: Who's buying Kinect on release? What games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
You really need to do more research on what the people, reviewers, and developers are saying. Now I have been following both the kinect and move closely and you can find positive and negative articles for both, but as a whole the move is getting a lot more favorable reviews than kinect. Here is a preview I found for the Kinect today, and it is similar to many more I have seen recently. For something as technologically advanced it sure has some bugs to iron out before launch.

http://www.dealspwn.com/kinect-sports-handson-preview/

This is an example I found today and is typical of what I have been reading about the move:

http://www.incgamers.com/Previews/20...s-on-preview/2
Maybe you really need to read my posts, I didn't say Kinect is perfect. I'm saying that, techincal wise, Kinect is superior to EyeToy. Yeah I'm aware it has gotten a lot of negative press about it due to bugs like you can't play while sitting or doesn't do a good job hearing the voices. People had expectation high with Kinect than Playstation Move but got hit with bugs that ruined their experience. That wasn't good for Microsoft and yeah they should have ironed out most bugs before showing. They said they're still polishing the software and should be ready for launch. I sure hope they keep their promises otherwise I'd be disappointed.

To be honest I'm not too interested in Playstation Move. IMO it doesn't bring anything new on table. To me, it's other Wii but better with next-gen games. Kinect on other side, is fairly new (I said fairly since it's basically EyeToy with seceondary camera) and risky (risky since it's controller-free). Microsoft is sure pushing it, unlike Sony with EyeToy for PS2. We have to wait and see on launch and see which performs better, or more important, have better games in next few months or in 2011.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 09:29 PM   #74
Blackcat

I read your post, and I do agree that Kinect is superior to the eyetoy, but not by much. However, that is not a fair comparison because the Eyetoy is not competing with kinect, move is, so I made a more accurate and realistic comparison.
Old 08-12-10, 11:21 PM   #75
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Move senses depth. What now, playboy?
Interesting argument, and quite true. Note: this ramble isn't directed particularly at you, and is more of a general statement. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Eye)
The PS3 Move does indeed sense depth, but the EyeToy itself is very limited in that regard. The EyeToy like a digital camera is quite limited in what kind of depth it can detect. Sure it can focus on the center object in it's field of view, like a camera, but can it tell how far away that object is? Without being able to tell the distance that an object is from the camera it is very difficult to determine the physical dimensions of an object. This is akin to taking a photo of someone 4' from the lens and comparing it to a cropped photo of someone 8' from the lens, sure you and I can tell the difference, but it brings to question if Sony made the software smart enough to do so, and it isn't an easy task.

Now take the Kinect (reference: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...Limitation.php) in which the technical specs are a little misleading. Looking at the image of the device shows what is misleading about the listing, here is a nicely labeled one http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content...nect-slide.jpg . I personally would not refer to two depth sensing sensors as a depth sensing lens, the likely implementation of the sensors are infrared cameras. The important point is that in order to accurately determine depth, distance, and infer shape of objects in a scene really requires a stereoscopic view and knowing how far apart the sensors are. Which is why people who only have one eye have difficulties judging distances.

Having a stereoscopic view of a scene also makes something we take for granted, edge detection, significantly easier. One of the problems that many a programmer has encountered when trying to do edge detection with a single camera is that while it is easy to do when there is a significant difference in contrast between the object you are looking at and the scene or a large differential in colour between the two, when they are similar the algorithms typically do poorly. As an example of this, imagine a photo of someone in a white shirt in a typical room with white walls. Take the photo into virtually any photo software and choose the 'magic selection tool' or the 'fill bucket', pick a different colour than white and click on either the white shirt or the wall. Nine times out of ten, you will end up with fill bleeding between the person and the wall and failing to notice where the edge of the person is/was. With a stereoscopic view, this is typically not a problem because the slight difference in view extenuates where the edges are.

That being said, the PS3 Move is more than the EyeToy. The controllers very likely contain sensors similar to what the Wii controller does, but the seeming need/use of the coloured ball on the top may prove to be a limitation in the design. I'm curious how the system will/would react if you covered the ball and continued to play.

The difference in designs between the Move and Kinect do have reasonably big implications, but those effect the developers significantly more than anyone using the systems. While the Kinect should reasonably be able to tell the depth, sizes, and infer shapes of all the objects in the scene, it does so at the cost of processing power, of which I expect it is enough that the developers need to be aware of it. The Move because of design is less accurate in determining the above, has the benefit of requiring significantly less processing power to 'know' what it can 'know'.

It will be very interesting, if only for discussion sake, when someone gets their hands on both and does a in-depth comparison of the two.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:33 PM   #76
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

FRAT

Move senses depth through the color balls, as far as I know.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:52 PM   #77
Bah!

Quote:

Kung Fu Live does basically everything the Kinect does and all it requires is a 40 dollar camera.
Closer to $30 these days.

And yes, I still say I haven't seen a single Kinect game that would be more fun than Kung Fu Live.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 05:13 AM   #78
Ninja Prime

Quote:
FRAT

Move senses depth through the color balls, as far as I know.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 08:11 AM   #79
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Closer to $30 these days.

And yes, I still say I haven't seen a single Kinect game that would be more fun than Kung Fu Live.
is Kung Fu Live for sale yet? i will buy PS3 just for that game
Old 08-13-10, 09:11 AM   #80
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
is Kung Fu Live for sale yet? i will buy PS3 just for that game
Not out yet. No solid release date given yet, but it is supposed to be this fall. My guess is sometime in September or early October.

Old 08-18-10, 01:27 AM   #81
Bah!

This pretty much sums up my feeling about the two solutions.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...fts-kinect.ars
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 01:40 AM   #82
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I read that earlier too. I didn't know how many games were on rails with the kinect. The Harry Potter game looks like stuff they could do with the current camera...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 06:40 AM   #83
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Not really sure how it is debatable. One already has a camera, and it also has buttons. One has a camera.
Old 08-18-10, 10:11 AM   #84
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I read that earlier too. I didn't know how many games were on rails with the kinect. The Harry Potter game looks like stuff they could do with the current camera...
God that Harry Potter Kinect Mode looked like a joke. It shows the biggest flaw of kinect. Everything will be on rails, people can't be running around...