Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-10, 11:00 PM   #325
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

This whole league things is BS. Almost everyone I play in Bronze, I got absolutely stomped. I guess most people purposely do bad in placement so they can have a good record later. I dunno, it just sucks losing real bargain in bronze lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 12:00 AM   #326
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Official Starcraft II Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
This whole league things is BS. Almost everyone I play in Bronze, I got absolutely stomped. I guess most people purposely do bad in placement so they can have a good record later. I dunno, it just sucks losing real bargain in bronze lol.
Trust me... you are losing because you are terrible. I made it to Gold League (was put in Bronze but won my way up to Gold), and I don't even think I'm that good of a player. To get past bronze you need to understand how to scout properly, and how to accurately predict what your opponent is going to hit you with, and how to counter it. That is the absolute basic of SCII multiplayer. Go to teamliquid.net and ask them to review your replay. They will tell you exactly what you did wrong, and what you could have done to win.

For example, I play Zerg, and I know that when I play protoss, I am usually expecting some sort of 4 gate push that will eventually turn into either a colossus push or a void ray push. So I send a drone out to see what's in his base. If I'm lucky enough to see the stargate go up I know I'm getting void ray rushed. However, your scout doesn't always make it that far so you've got to make some educated guesses. If I only see two Gateways by the five minute mark then he's either a noob or he's going void ray so I'll go either mutas or hydras depending on what I want to do. If I see three or more gateways I know he doesn't have the resources for a stargate/void rays so he'll do a 4 gate rush which means I need to fortify my expansion with spine crawlers. The best is when I see a bunch of zealots clumped up. I just make a Roach Warren and proceed to demolish them.

And btw, Terran and Protoss are WAY WAY easier to play than zerg. Don't play zerg unless you know what you're doing. Zerg is incredibly powerful if you are advanced, but if you're new go with Toss or Terran.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 12:09 AM   #327
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSEN7900GTX View Post
SPOILER WARNING WARNING !!!!!!!

aaarghhhh why why canīt i get 3 zerg buildings destroyed or swarms i pound them with all i have and they canīt be dsetroyed very annoing, i gottta protect some settlements from infestation
I beat this mission on brutal and this is what I did:

1) Set up choke points at the three exits. Build two bunkers at each exit, stuff them with marines, and put two firebats in between the bunkers. Make sure the two firebats are set to HOLD THEIR GROUND so they effectively block off the choke. Then put two medics behind the firebats to continuously heal them.

2) create a large force of Marines, Medics, and Mauraders (known as the MMM ball in multiplayer). This will be your primary stomping force. Give the mauraders the concussion shell upgrade in the armory so it'll slow all those zergs down.

3) Protect the chokes at all cost. If they make it past a choke you're dead.

3) When your MMM force get's large enough you can go out at night and stomp the infested settlements. As long as you have enough medics you'll be ok. It's important to destroy as many buildings as possible early on, because as the nights go by the zerg forces get a lot stronger. Once you see the large purple zerg (looks like a giant ant/spider) coming out, don't go out at night anymore or you will get owned. Just protect the base, and stomp them during the day time.

5) There are also two mineral deposits. One at the north east, and one at the southeast. There will come a time when you run out of minerals and needs to get more, so make it a point to clear out one of those areas first.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 12:50 AM   #328
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

Quick question guys, Ive noticed some units have three bars ... Obviously the green one is health but what about the other two?
Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 01:28 AM   #329
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Not lying. Playing Mozilla is about a million times more fun, too. THARE R NEKID MICHAEL FLATLEY PIX ON MOZILLA!
Wow... keep it to yer'self, R34LY.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 02:53 AM   #330
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOJAR View Post
Quick question guys, Ive noticed some units have three bars ... Obviously the green one is health but what about the other two?
energy and shields maybe?
blue = shields
green = hp
purple = energy
i think
Old 08-02-10, 04:27 AM   #331
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
you need to read up on strats/watch some gameplay of top players. What race do you play? I can direct you in some direction on who to follow/where to get info.

Most of the lower/placement matches are going to end up in cheese, and most people who are new to the game wont scout.

So Zerg 6 pool/extractor trick to get extra ling....this is really hard to stop if u dont scout.
Protoss will proxy double gate you. When you scout...and ure opponent has saved his nexus energy/has nothing in the base...prepare for a proxy double gate.
Terran, will wall up and build in secret ^_^...but mostly its reapers you have to be prepared for early (tech lab/barrack/early gas will give it away), also the 1/1/1 build and mech build (hellion/tank) or bancheese.

The way someone opens there build order gives a lot about what you can expect from them.

Zerg for example if you see 12 gas/13 pool (or gas before pool) you can expect speedlings to banelings 1 base push.

protoss rushing for void rays, early gas/1 gate with wall in with one zealot/cybernetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOJAR View Post
blue = shields
purple = energy
green = hp

high templars have all 3, very strong unit, pwns other energy units with feedback, or does massive aoe dmg to decimate tier 1 units, can also transform to archons.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 04:42 AM   #332
K007

Old 08-02-10, 05:09 AM   #333
HiCZoK4

How about playing this with 0 knowledge of previevous Starcraft game?

I only played a bit of Starcraft1 skirmish about 10 years ago.

Do I need to know story from first game to enjoy this one?

The only thing I know is future/humans/zergs alien things
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 05:30 AM   #334
Vardant

It recaps the story during installation.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 07:59 AM   #335
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
How about playing this with 0 knowledge of previevous Starcraft game?

I only played a bit of Starcraft1 skirmish about 10 years ago.

Do I need to know story from first game to enjoy this one?

The only thing I know is future/humans/zergs alien things
i never played sc1, just war3.....

the story is told during the installation, so anyone can get into it

i wouldn't be surprised if some hardcore fans do the sc1 mod for sc2. most of sc1 stuff is in sc2 as 'doodads' and if someone really wanted they can extract the audio from sc1 and play it over in sc2 editor to recreate it with audio....even put in the videos from sc1..

yea thats right...even videos...............i am sure a lot of people from beta sc2 has played the mod dota -.-....it was basically a rickroll video when the game started

Old 08-02-10, 11:11 AM   #336
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
Trust me... you are losing because you are terrible.
Probably so but I think I'm getting better over time.

Quote:
I made it to Gold League (was put in Bronze but won my way up to Gold), and I don't even think I'm that good of a player. To get past bronze you need to understand how to scout properly, and how to accurately predict what your opponent is going to hit you with, and how to counter it. That is the absolute basic of SCII multiplayer.
I've learned my lesson about not scouting. Luckily with Terran, I can scout via Command Center, not just SCVs running around like crazy. And most of the time when I make my first push attack, I see 75% of the enemy's base and see what they are up to. I can then start preparing a counter attack and so forth.

Quote:
And btw, Terran and Protoss are WAY WAY easier to play than zerg. Don't play zerg unless you know what you're doing. Zerg is incredibly powerful if you are advanced, but if you're new go with Toss or Terran.
I agree. I used to play strictly Protoss but by playing SP, I've gained a new respect for Terran. I gonna stick with Terran until I get a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
you need to read up on strats/watch some gameplay of top players. What race do you play? I can direct you in some direction on who to follow/where to get info.
Since Thursday night, I'm strictly playing Terran now. I've been practicing versus AI and can beat it almost without breaking a sweat on Hard.

I also read TeamLiquid forums here and there to try and find some new strategies.

Quote:
Most of the lower/placement matches are going to end up in cheese, and most people who are new to the game wont scout.
Most of my matches go like this: everything is fine and my first two pushes are evenly matched. Then by the time I'm getting a third wave ready to deploy, here comes a huge wave from the enemy and I get hosed.

I am getting better with my APM and making sure I have a balance between offense and defense. Maybe I can send you guys some replays so you can check them out.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote