Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-10, 10:10 AM   #1
PJSkiboy

Default Non-gaming build: Looking to spend in the neighborhood of $1000 USD

Background

I have not built a rig from the ground up in honestly 10 years or more. I've been married for 14 years and the money has honestly not been there, nor the need for a desktop in quite some time. (My work has provided me with a take home laptop for the past several years. New job does not; no biggie.) I've been wanting to build a new computer for quite some time, just never had the proper motivation until now. I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of $1000, excluding monitor and peripherals. Somewhere around there, but if the right build runs a couple hundred over that, not the end of the world.

Purpose of the computer

Let me start off by saying I am in no way, going to use this computer for gaming. I'm a console gamer and I honestly have no interest in using my PC for gaming. Therein lies the rub, so to speak. All of the other threads I've been going through, trying to educate myself before making a post revolves around the rig being built as a gaming rig. I'd rather invest the money typically spent on high-end video cards and RAM in other areas. My main focus of concern with this build is I want it to run like a top at all times.

Operating System

Windows 7 64-bit PC.

Programs Installed

1. Microsoft Office 2010
2. Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3
3. Trillian Astra
4. FTP client
5. iTunes - wish i didn't have to have it, but i own an iPhone.
6. Other smaller utilities that aren't worth mentioning I don't think.

Notes

1. Would like to be able to set it up to dual boot between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

2. Was thinking along the lines of installing OS and PaintShop Pro on a Solid State Drive, just because I want to mess with an SSD. Seems interesting enough to mess with for some performance improvements.

3. Was thinking of having the OS and PaintShop loaded on the SSD and then buy either a 1 or 2 TB Sata Drive for data storage.

4. Would like to run Aero with all the bells and whistles turned on. Would I need a higher end video card to make Aero run any smoother than with a run of the mill video card? I would obviously like to not have to spend a couple hundred bucks on a video card if I'm not going to be using it for gaming being my main question of concern here. I'm also going to be doing some graphics work with web design on this computer.

5. Tieing into that previous question, now that I think about it, I am going to want to run this with dual monitors. So I suppose I'll need a video card capable of doing that. Any suggestions?

6. I have always been happy with Intel chipsets. I have been reading up on the Intel i5 and i7 chipsets. Trying to figure out a happy balance between performance and price. Looks like some of the i5 chipsets can do a pretty good job and in some aspects, actually out perform i7 chipsets in some situations. Right now I'm thinking the higher end i5's might be the way for me to go.

7. RAM - I know I need to be careful to buy RAM that takes advantage of the chipset I go with, but in terms of number of gigabytes of the stuff, based on what I'm going to be using this computer for is 4 gig enough? Should I go with 6 gig just to be safe?

Closing Comments

I'm sure I've neglected to mention something, surely, but that's all I can think of for now.

I know you guys answer these exact same kinds of posts seemingly everyday and for that I apologize. But with the fact that this rig is not intended for gaming at all, I thought I should probably just lay it all out there.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
PJSkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 10:35 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Non-gaming build: Looking to spend in the neighborhood of $1000 USD

I'm guessing you want a machine that would be pretty future proof, right? I'm currently selling an eVGA Intel X58 chipset motherboard, Core i7 CPU, 50 GB OCZ SSD, 2 640 GB Western Digital mechanical hard drives, power supply, Blu-ray reader, and DVD burner that would fit your needs very well. The SSD would be more than enough for a Windows 7 install and your programs. The 2 Western Digital drives can be run in a RAID-0 array for a total of 1.2 TB of storage. All the items for sale are listed on this forum here, and I can cut you a deal on the price of any combination or all of the components, which would put you well under your budget. Send me a PM if you're interested.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 10:53 AM   #3
PJSkiboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
I'm guessing you want a machine that would be pretty future proof, right? I'm currently selling an eVGA Intel X58 chipset motherboard, Core i7 CPU, 50 GB OCZ SSD, 2 640 GB Western Digital mechanical hard drives, power supply, Blu-ray reader, and DVD burner that would fit your needs very well. The SSD would be more than enough for a Windows 7 install and your programs. The 2 Western Digital drives can be run in a RAID-0 array for a total of 1.2 TB of storage. All the items for sale are listed on this forum here, and I can cut you a deal on the price of any combination or all of the components, which would put you well under your budget. Send me a PM if you're interested.
That is very interesting saturnotaku.

I will look it over and let you know.
Old 07-28-10, 12:32 PM   #4
grey_1

Just a note - many here will vouch for saturnotaku wrt selling and buying. Honest chap.

Good luck with your build.
Old 07-28-10, 12:43 PM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Just a note - many here will vouch for saturnotaku wrt selling and buying. Honest chap.
Aww.

/gives grey a noogie
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 12:58 PM   #6
PJSkiboy

Amazingly, his build he's getting rid of fits very very well with what I think I was shooting for.

I will be needing a "good" video card that has dual-screen support.

Any ideas on a non-gaming video card that should perform well.

Also want to re-iterate a question i posed in my original post, do i need anything special to make Aero run it's best?
Old 07-28-10, 01:09 PM   #7
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSkiboy View Post
Amazingly, his build he's getting rid of fits very very well with what I think I was shooting for.

I will be needing a "good" video card that has dual-screen support.

Any ideas on a non-gaming video card that should perform well.

Also want to re-iterate a question i posed in my original post, do i need anything special to make Aero run it's best?
Not really. Any mid range ATI or Nvidia card ($100-$200) will suit you just fine. Practically all mid-range cards will support 2 screens.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 01:17 PM   #8
Redeemed

I can vouch for Sat as well- recently bought an SSD off of him and was going to grab his two 640GB HDDs... but funds just weren't there. My loss your gain buddy.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-10, 01:40 PM   #9
PJSkiboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Not really. Any mid range ATI or Nvidia card ($100-$200) will suit you just fine. Practically all mid-range cards will support 2 screens.
yeah, i had the feeling anything would handle dual screen support anymore.
Old 07-28-10, 02:39 PM   #10
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Aww.

/gives grey a noogie
Ouch! was that really necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yep, agreed here on this as well. I'm considering down grading my rig, don't need a Fermi for desktop work and am considering just plugging in something like a GT 240 1 Gb, which can be had for well under $100usd, but will power aero just fine.
Old 07-28-10, 02:49 PM   #11
PJSkiboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Ouch! was that really necessary?

Yep, agreed here on this as well. I'm considering down grading my rig, don't need a Fermi for desktop work and am considering just plugging in something like a GT 240 1 Gb, which can be had for well under $100usd, but will power aero just fine.
appreciate the feedback.

Buddy of mine recommended the GeForce 9800 GT. He's a computer gamer, I get the feeling he's trying to change my stance on PC gaming, lol.
Old 07-28-10, 02:51 PM   #12
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSkiboy View Post
appreciate the feedback.

Buddy of mine recommended the GeForce 9800 GT. He's a computer gamer, I get the feeling he's trying to change my stance on PC gaming, lol.
Yea the 9800GT is a nice card. Mine still works great. I am looking to get a socket 939 setup so I can use it for a second rig.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote