Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-19-10, 02:42 AM   #1
JasonPC

Default Epic to Developers: Personal Relationship with Gamers a Waste of Time

Basically more of what we have come to expect from Epic. http://www.gamespy.com/articles/110/1106636p1.html

The developer later posted on his blog and let Mark Rein have it for his disrespectful remark.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 05:16 AM   #2
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Default Re: Epic to Developers: Personal Relationship with Gamers a Waste of Time

And it only takes the programmer to clean up all the mess

Tim Sweeney responds: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...VG-General-RSS
Old 07-19-10, 05:23 AM   #3
K007

Default Re: Epic to Developers: Personal Relationship with Gamers a Waste of Time

**** epic....bunch of ****wits
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 08:15 AM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Epic is like a two headed donkey, **** can come from either end.

is like they want to be hated, no one at Epic tries to keep the idiots under control
Old 07-19-10, 09:00 AM   #5
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

It is in price to say sh it in gaming Industry. Let them go consoles and make place for proper PC devs, I want more games like ArmA2, STALKER,Settler 7 and iRacing not some crappy GoW's.
Old 07-19-10, 09:16 AM   #6
K007

their are a few games out using u3 engine on the pc that look / plays very well..

batman for example looks pretty good, plays really well on the pc, and the story is fantastic. That was a game well worth every cent.

UT3 was god awful and i really did not enjoy GoW for its price.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 09:18 AM   #7
Yaboze

Sweeney is the last cool person at Epic. They'd be sh*t without him. He's the Carmack, the genius behind the engine and I think one of the last PC loving devs.

The rest of them just suck, especially Rein.

I think Cliffy B. was a dork in HS and most of his younger years and he's now finding that being a hotshot console game designer is given him some kind of rock star celebrity status, which he is eating up.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 09:32 AM   #8
HiCZoK4

At least they make good games. And Unreal1 will be always in my memories and thats not only reason why I still dont hate them. I am still hoping for GoW2 on pc. its excellent game which would benefit from pc graphics.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-10, 09:35 AM   #9
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Sweeney is the last cool person at Epic. They'd be sh*t without him. He's the Carmack, the genius behind the engine and I think one of the last PC loving devs.

The rest of them just suck, especially Rein.

I think Cliffy B. was a dork in HS and most of his younger years and he's now finding that being a hotshot console game designer is given him some kind of rock star celebrity status, which he is eating up.
I just cant stans him! He is acting like Paris H of gaming. Too bad he is more buffed than I am ;/
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 12:33 PM   #10
LT.Schaffer
Praise The Lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriega View Post
It is in price to say sh it in gaming Industry. Let them go consoles and make place for proper PC devs, I want more games like ArmA2, STALKER,Settler 7 and iRacing not some crappy GoW's.
Agreed

Some of the Best games i've played have come from Indie Devs and companies like Bohemia Interactive Studios among others.

Because Indie Devs and such, come up with Fresh and awesome Game ideas,meanwhile Epic and other big studios just milk each franchise they own until its clone city

Intel Q9650|Asus P5Q Pro Turbo|GTX 480|CM 690 II Advanced|Corsair Dominator 4GB|LG LE3500 32"|X-FI|Intel 80GB SSD|Win 7 64Bit
Nvidia Driver:310.70 WHQL

Dedicated LAN Coop Server
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500|Asus P5B Deluxe|BFG GTX 285|Antec 900|Kingston HyperX 2GB|Viewsonic VX2255WMB 22"|Win 7 32Bit

GOD BLESS AMERICA

I Proudly Support Our Troops

Current Game:Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
LT.Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 12:41 PM   #11
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
Mark Rein is a jerk.

Now I suspect this is not groundbreaking news, although it is to me, because I've never met him or even seen him before. However, this experience seems to confirm my opinions on Epic and companies like them in general. Now Mark may well look down on humble indies like me. He may well think I'm doing it wrong. He may laugh when me and Mark discuss the pitiful money our companies make, and giggle at the fact that we reply to gamers on a one-on-one basis... But **** him. I would rather earn minimum wage making indie strategy games for the PC, as my own boss, with an original game, satisfying a hardcore niche of friendly customers (the one-thousand-true-fans-philosophy), without a publisher telling me what to do, and without having to leave my house to go to work, without having to do 'crunch time' (because, dude... its like so macho to work until 3AM and never see your family)... Than I would work at Epic for megabucks.

The sheer overwhelming stench of testosterone would probably give me a headcahe, combined with the dizzy excitement of exactly what shade of grey our next game's space-marine would wear as he kicked alien butt. (I feel bad working on Gratuitous Space Battles for almost 2 years, but it seems like that old 'wisecracking space marine with big muscles and chisel-jaw' idea has been stretched out longer than the hundred years war).

I have absolutely no doubt Mark would just naturally assume me feeling like that is jealousy, which, as anyone who knows me personally would testify, is just ****ing funny. I really don't care about Epic, and their games, as they are way way too macho and 'dude' for my liking, and don't have demos, so I just assume they haven't changed since Unreal Tournament. I try not to comment on games I don't like, as each to their own tastes etc. The only reason I'm moved to give a damn enough to state my opinion, is that I resent having some triple-a studio jerk come and tell someone who's run a microstudio for thirteen years that he is doing it all wrong. If Mark from Introversion suggests I'm doing it wrong, that's cool, he does what I do, and has some serious experience, ditto anyone on that panel, or anyone with long indie experience. And I listen carefully, often over lunch.

But Triple-A studio bosses trying to lecture me on how to communicate better with gamers? **** off.
Bolded part made me LOL
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 12:48 PM   #12
Sean_W

That's what money and greed does to people and it can turn them into arseholes. Big developers don't seem to make games for the joy of it anymore, it's about the money and making millions, it the only way they will make a game.

Epic stopped "doing the right thing" ages ago and now they're a greedy EA.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote