Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-10, 06:54 PM   #1
xazero

Default Nvidia && KDE 4.x (Again)

Hello

I,m not going to start another KDE4 + Nvidia = worse than using windows XP with 64 MB of RAM.

Im about to buy another computer and i'd like to know if is there any work in progress to make KDE work like it should have long ago, so I can stick with Nvidia.
Please i'd like to hear something from someone at Nvidia.

And please do NOT start commenting things like "You cant configure your computer" or "It works for me™" or "No body uses KDE" or "Disable compositing" and so on.

Kind regards.
xazero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 07:34 PM   #2
konst

Default Re: Nvidia && KDE 4.x (Again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xazero View Post
Hello

I,m not going to start another KDE4 + Nvidia = worse than using windows XP with 64 MB of RAM.

Im about to buy another computer and i'd like to know if is there any work in progress to make KDE work like it should have long ago, so I can stick with Nvidia.
Please i'd like to hear something from someone at Nvidia.

And please do NOT start commenting things like "You cant configure your computer" or "It works for me™" or "No body uses KDE" or "Disable compositing" and so on.

Kind regards.
Do what I did. Switch to ATI. There are some good deals for Radeon HD 5850 cards for around $260.

Other than that AaronP mentioned that Firefox may be slow cause it allocates larger pixmaps than the graphics card can handle. Maybe that's the same problem with KDE 4 cause KDE 3 isn't slow on Nvidia cards.
konst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 08:03 PM   #3
xazero

Quote:
Originally Posted by konst View Post
Do what I did. Switch to ATI. There are some good deals for Radeon HD 5850 cards for around $260.

Other than that AaronP mentioned that Firefox may be slow cause it allocates larger pixmaps than the graphics card can handle. Maybe that's the same problem with KDE 4 cause KDE 3 isn't slow on Nvidia cards.
Thanks for your reply, And yes I'm really thinking to buy a Raedon HD 5xxx.

And, why does Firefox and KDE work just fine with Nouveau?
Old 08-03-10, 08:18 PM   #4
konst

Quote:
Originally Posted by xazero View Post
Thanks for your reply, And yes I'm really thinking to buy a Raedon HD 5xxx.

Good question. I have no idea but I have a dual-link display and nouveau doesn't work good at all with my setup.

Look at the thread "Poor 2D Performance" http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2295984

It was danix not AaronP.
danix from NVIDIA Corporation says
Quote:
Firefox sometimes allocates large pixmaps which exceed the hardware limitations of the GPU. These pixmaps have to be handled by a slow software fallback.
konst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 08:28 PM   #5
xazero

Quote:
Good question. I have no idea but I have a dual-link display and nouveau doesn't work good at all with my setup.
It seems that dual-link DVI display is still work in progress, please refer to this link.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

They might get it working soon though.

EDIT
Nevermind that, didn't look into the link you gave me before posting.

----------

Does anyone from nvidia have any comment to make regarding my original post?
Old 08-05-10, 01:30 PM   #6
kRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xazero
I could be wrong, but my bet is that because Nouveau's implementation is not as, "greedy" psycho as NVIDIA's for doing hardware acceleration. Namely, as long as you do not hit certain render paths, NVIDIA driver is faster and hardware implemented only, but if you hit certain ones (such as big pixmaps in Firefox and bits of KDE 4's drawing) then ugly things happen and the driver does a fair amount of software call backs which introduces excessive traffic on the PCI bus, this is a guess though.

Though, I have to admit I have really, really tried to like KDE4, and I cannot stand it. What I liked in KDE3 disappeared in KDE4. Every few months I try to make myself use KDE4, and the entire interface just bothers me... I used to love KDE over GNOME, but now KDE4 just, sighs... that is enough I think. I have not seen myself the performance issues people posted about KDE in GNOME, even with the useless compiz effects on.

Just to warn you: be prepared to be severely disappointed with GL under any card besides NVIDIA under Linux. If you do not do 3D graphics or the most you push your video card is Quake2, then it won't matter really.
kRogue is offline   Reply With Quote