Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-10, 09:32 AM   #13
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Boot problem with GTX 460

Tearau, you are missing something there...this is not your video card... this is your motherboard that is the fail here. IT is the one choosing to use internal graphics over your nvidia card. The fact that the nvidia card works fine and the motherboard is switching every time you reset simply means something in your motherboard is changing priorities. There IS probably something different with the nvidia card during POST that the ati card didn't do, but this isn't your nvidia cards problem, it is simply your motherboards crappy sensing routine.
Old 08-07-10, 03:10 PM   #14
weeds

I have a older pc my nephew uses that does the same thing. Onboard is a NV6150and when I put an Nvidia vga in it boots just fine to the add in NV card without disabling the onboard 6150. If I put in a ATI card it will work just once then the next reboot it goes back to the NV6150 and I have to disable the onboard 6150.

Since your onboard is ATI 3300 and has no problems with a ATI add in VGA without disableing the onboard you have to disable the ATI onboard. I assume you are useing the correct PCIE slot. The manual for your MB says you have to use PCIE2 (Green)

From the manual page 21
Quote:
If you plan to install only one PCI Express VGA card on this
motherboard, please install it on PCIE2 slot (Green).
There is a setting in your Bios that will change the PCI Bus scanning order while searching for video card. It is under chipset configuration and is called "Primary Graphics Adapter" Default is PCI, change it to PCI Express and see if that works.

From the manual page 62
Quote:
Primary Graphics Adapter
This item will switch the PCI Bus scanning order while searching for video
card. It allows you to select the type of Primary VGA in case of multiple video
controllers. The default value of this feature is [PCI]. Configuration options:
[PCI], [Onboard] and [PCI Express].
Like others have said this isnt a bad card. Good luck.
AMD FX-60@2.85 | Asus A8N32-SLi DLX | Gskill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ | EVGA 8800 GTS SLi @ 780/1944/1100 | WD RaptorX 150GB | Creative X-Fi Fatality FPS | Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 | Plextor 716SA DVD-RW | OCZ ProXStream 1000W| Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB | Lian-Li Pc-60 Modded | TT Hardcano 13 | Razer Copperhead Tempest | Saitek Eclipse II | XP Pro SP3
weeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 02:53 AM   #15
terau

@weeds

I said in the first post that I already tried that (actually this was the first thing that I did when I encountered the problem). Primary VGA set to PCI-Express still the same problem and yes always using the main green pci-e x16 slot. (But I also tried the others).

When my PC decides to boot form the onboard VGA, the nvidia card doesn't even initialize. Normally in the first seconds of boot (power-on), the nvidia card slows down the fan speed, but in the case it boots from onboard, the fans works full speed non-stop.

I also observed that the nvidia card shares the same IRQ with the onboard ethernet. I tried disabling ethernet from BIOS, but still no go.
terau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 06:44 PM   #16
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

irq sharing hasn't been an issue in years.
Old 08-10-10, 09:36 AM   #17
terau

Google found 2 more guys having boot problems similar to mine:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...&#entry1101925

And jeffmd, I know but nvidia managed to change that, interrupt problems with GTX 460 (caused by the too aggressive low power management, so they can be competitive with ati cards):

http://forum.gigabyte.de/index.php?p...&threadID=1730

And when I had the card, I had some strange sound lockups, I seem to be affected by that as well...

It seems that I purchased the most buggy card ever released... Bad time to come back to nvidia...

Gigabyte hasn't answered to me yet, I am trying to get refund for this crap that was released out of desperation by nvidia.
terau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 12:46 PM   #18
josiahsuarez

obvious troll is obvious
josiahsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote