Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-10, 06:39 AM   #1
terau

Default Boot problem with GTX 460

Hello guys,

I just bought Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb and it works great... when it boots from it...

My previous card was a ATI 4850 1GB, and that card didn't had any problems.

I have an AMD chipset (790GX/SB750) motherboard and it has onboard graphics (HD3300).

The problem is:

Each time I power on the PC, it either boots from the NVIDIA card, or from the ONBOARD graphics.

And it always goes like that:

#1 boot from NVIDIA (onboard disabled) - then I do a normal shutdown (either from Windows or case button, doesn't matter).
power on again --> #2 boots from onboard (nvidia disabled) shutdown...
#3 boots from NVIDIA (onboard disabled) ...
#4 boots from onboard (nvidia disabled) ...
#5 boots from NVIDIA (onboard disabled) ...
#6 boots from onboard (nvidia disabled) ...
and so on.

So each time I shutdown the PC, the next time I turn it on, it switches the booting VGA and the other card is unavailable.

If I do a full power cycle (completely turn off the PSU/Power for some seconds and turn on), on the exact next boot, it boots always from the nvidia card. After that the same switching-mania happens.

As I said this problem didn't exist in my previous card. The PC always booted from the 4850 and the onboard was completely disabled, always.

I have changed every possible setting in the BIOS and nothing worked.

There is no option to completely disable the onboard VGA, because the motherboard is supposed to do it automatically when a discrete card is in, and it did in the previous cards.

There is however an option to choose the VGA to boot from. The options are PCI, PCI-EXPRESS, ONBOARD. The problem appears when the options are either PCI or PCI-EXPRESS.

In the case of the "onboard" option, it always boots succesfully from the onboard card, but the nvidia card also works, but as a secondary graphics card (hd3300, primary bios+windows, gtx460 windows only)

I am out of ideas, and I don't think that my VGA is faulty, and this is probably an incompatibility issue between the nvidia card and the amd chipset?

When the PC boots from the nvidia card, it works perfectly. I have done multi-hour gaming, benchmarks, everything works great with zero problems. The GPU switching is the only problem.

Note: a simple restart/reboot doesn't switch cards.

The problem is unrelated to Windows or Drivers, because if I shutdown the PC in the bios boot screen (before even loading windows) and then power it on again, it once again switches cards.

It seems to me that the card does not power off properly, with the result to be unavailable on immediate next boot or something like that.

I am asking here, if anyone has experience with nvidia cards on AMD Chipset (probably with onboard graphics). I have already submitted problem reports to motherboard and video card manufacturer, but I think the problem here is some kind of incompatibility.

Anyone has any similar experience?
terau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 07:29 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Boot problem with GTX 460

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 10:01 AM   #3
terau

Yes, motherboard has the latest bios. I also tried downgrading the BIOS, but still the same problem.
Old 08-05-10, 04:41 PM   #4
josiahsuarez

the on board graphics might still be enabled in the bios, and when you boot into widows it takes an additional full power cycle to re-enable everything. then the nvidia driver realizes what's happened and re-asserts itself, requiring an additional reboot before it wakes up. rinse and repeat...

it might be something like that. try to narrow down the problem (is it a hardware issue, is it the amd drivers, is it the nvidia drivers, is the pc suffering from lycanthropy, etc.)
josiahsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 06:19 PM   #5
terau

As I said, Windows/drivers have nothing to do with. If I shutdown the PC, with the case's power button in the booting screen (bios etc), and then power it on again, it still switches graphics. I can do this all the time without even starting windows. nvidia --> onboard --> nvidia --> onboard etc, just using the cases button. And it seems to always remember the card that will boot as long as the PSU has power. When I cut power from the PSU just for little, the next boot is guaranteed nvidia.

One of the most craziest problems I have seen. I think am soon going to RMA the GTX card, no other solution. And it is a shame because it works great. If it still has problem, I don't know, I'll just sell it somewhere. (I can't exchange with somethine else I think) and forget about nvidia cards with this motherboard.
Old 08-05-10, 09:00 PM   #6
JasonPC

Why not get a motherboard without onboard vga?
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 09:06 PM   #7
josiahsuarez

do you by any chance have another video card to test this system with?
Old 08-05-10, 11:41 PM   #8
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

the motherboard should have a bios setting or a jumper to disable the onboard video. How about giving us the make and model?

Old 08-06-10, 11:00 AM   #9
terau

As I said, it works fine with my other card (ATI HD4850).

There is no option to explicitly disable onboard graphics. The motherboard is supposed to do it automatically when a discrete card is installed (like it did with 4850).

This is the motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...=AOD790GX/128M

Anyway I sent the card for RMA, couldn't find any solution. I hope they find a problem and change it, else I'm in trouble.
Old 08-06-10, 11:25 AM   #10
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Did you disconnect the SLI/Crossfire power plug on the board as well as make sure the jumper between the PCI-Express slots is set for single GPU?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 11:29 AM   #11
josiahsuarez

it could be a jumper setting if it's not in the bios
Old 08-06-10, 02:29 PM   #12
terau

@josiahsuarez, There is no jumper,

@saturnotaku, yes, I tried everything, It was a direct upgrade from a working card after all.

I also tried changing pci-e slot, exactly the same problems always.