While you are waiting for Mafia II
Demo, planned to be released just in a few hours, you can read the preview of APEX/PhysX
content, prepared by Techgage in their 'Taking a Look at Mafia II and its PhysX Use
Demo includes 'Benchmark
' mode, and that's how it's look like:
- Physically simulated clothing for main character and additional characters
- Custom wind simulation that creates a more dynamic movement of clothing as the characters walk around and interact with the environment.
- Force fields form explosions and interact with clothing, making those explosive moments even more immersive
- Up to 3,000 unique particles on screen at any given time (10,000 at High settings).
- Particle effects including dynamic collision, mass and kinetic simulation, and force fields from explosions that move and displace particles along its path.
- Destruction particle debris from cement, wood, glass, dirt, and more
- Weapon impact that creates dynamic smoke and kinetic persistent particles
- Garbage moves and exists in the world of Empire Bay and reacts to effects like force fields and character interactions
- Tire burnout while driving produces dynamic smoke and particles including fluid movement simulation and particle velocity and trajectory
- Character clothing on all character models is rendered entirely on the GPU when using a dedicated PhysX card which can be anything from a GT 240 to a GTX 480.
P.S. Judging by demo
, additional APEX PhysX
content is optimized for CPU
..than previous games, like Dark Void
Unfortunately, still not enough for decent fps and comfort gameplay (at least, with our C2Q 9400 CPU).
Strange. According to PhysX Visual Indicator, PhysX effects in Mafia II are running on CPU
, even if GPU PhysX is enabled
in drivers ' with this newest 09.10.0512 System Software.
I wonder if that's the reason of low fps. Can anyone confirms this ?