Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-10, 04:56 AM   #13
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Help Defend Video Games In The Supreme Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXThReAT View Post
I know this may be shocking to some of you but consoles and most PC games are for children. They are kids toys.
You're playing right in to the stereotype.

Watch this video, it addresses this a bit:

saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 05:04 AM   #14
MaXThReAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
You're playing right in to the stereotype.

Watch this video, it addresses this a bit:

Thank you. That's my point exactly. Ask a rep who their target demographic is. I don't like the stereotype and that's why I posted. It's not a kids toy but it's become that and that video explains why and how it happened. That's exactly what I said above. That line hasn't helped it's only hindered. Thats why I say maybe if you push them far enough they will break that line and make the next carmageddon but they haven't so far and have only been held back by that line. IMO it should be adult games come first and kids games come second. Ask a kid and he would say the reverse. The market reflects this because they only make kids games. However I can't really see my 60+yo father buying or playing adult games (violent sexy whatever) but I can see myself doing so in 30 years though.
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 08:06 AM   #15
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usiel View Post
Arnold Schwarzenegger, '80s action star and governor of California, has passed a law banning the sale of "violent" video games to anyone under the age of 18. This is more than just enforcing the ESRB ratings; this is banning all minors from buying all games that could be considered "violent".
http://blog.youthrights.org/2010/08/...us_fight_back/
good, Good Work Governator
Old 08-13-10, 09:04 AM   #16
LurkerLito

The law doesn't affect me nor do I see anything really wrong with it other than the vagueness of who's definition of "violent" we are to use. Video games rated M aren't suppose to be sold or marketed to minors anyway. So as far as I can see all this does is actually allow penalties most likely in terms of fines on retailers who sell to minors. It does not ban selling the M rated game from a parent or guardian then that parent or guardian giving the game to their child or even preventing a child who got the game from a parent or guardian from owning the M rated game. It is only making it illegal to actually sell the game to a minor. It should in no way affect game development considering any game that would be affected like GTA or the others mentioned earlier still would be made and marketed for the M rated audience.

The only place I can see this being a issue, is with web retailers and digital distributors. They really don't have a way to check what your real age is so this law could be a big hindrance to them.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 09:54 AM   #17
ViN86

If you're under 18, you don't pay taxes and you can't vote, so I don't know why the Supreme Court would listen to you. I have played Modern Warfare 2 and have heard the 1000's of kids (some are extremely young) whose retarded parents bought them the game. Maybe a law like this will make parents pay attention to wtf their kids are doing.

Have fun getting your parents to buy your video games for you.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 09:56 AM   #18
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I wish that would also mean that there would be less annoying brats online playing games
Old 08-13-10, 09:57 AM   #19
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
The law doesn't affect me nor do I see anything really wrong with it other than the vagueness of who's definition of "violent" we are to use. Video games rated M aren't suppose to be sold or marketed to minors anyway. So as far as I can see all this does is actually allow penalties most likely in terms of fines on retailers who sell to minors. It does not ban selling the M rated game from a parent or guardian then that parent or guardian giving the game to their child or even preventing a child who got the game from a parent or guardian from owning the M rated game. It is only making it illegal to actually sell the game to a minor. It should in no way affect game development considering any game that would be affected like GTA or the others mentioned earlier still would be made and marketed for the M rated audience.

The only place I can see this being a issue, is with web retailers and digital distributors. They really don't have a way to check what your real age is so this law could be a big hindrance to them.
Sure they do. Credit cards are essentially an age check. Practically no kids have credit cards, which means they need to ask their parents.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 10:04 AM   #20
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Sure they do. Credit cards are essentially an age check. Practically no kids have credit cards, which means they need to ask their parents.
True but some parents do give kids credit cards, and also there are the paypal and google checkout options that need to be taken into consideration.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-10, 11:31 AM   #21
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Something tells me the OP was expecting a completely different reaction.
I think so

I fully support this.

One of the issues is that some parents are horribly out of touch with what their kids are playing. A good example is one of my nephews, a few years ago. I don't even remember what game he was playing, I think it was a Final Fantasy, not sure though.

He was 11 at the time. I walked in to say hi and he's sitting there with tears in his eyes because he just had to kill his parents to advance in game. This is a smart kid, top student, helps out around the house etc - great kid. No one will ever, ever convince me a video game can't impact a kid in harmful ways.

He was angry at me after that too, I got his mother and showed her what was going on and she flipped, rightfully so. No more video games for little Jim for a while, but he understood why when it was explained to him.
Old 08-13-10, 11:42 AM   #22
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I think so

I fully support this.

One of the issues is that some parents are horribly out of touch with what their kids are playing. A good example is one of my nephews, a few years ago. I don't even remember what game he was playing, I think it was a Final Fantasy, not sure though.

He was 11 at the time. I walked in to say hi and he's sitting there with tears in his eyes because he just had to kill his parents to advance in game. This is a smart kid, top student, helps out around the house etc - great kid. No one will ever, ever convince me a video game can't impact a kid in harmful ways.

He was angry at me after that too, I got his mother and showed her what was going on and she flipped, rightfully so. No more video games for little Jim for a while, but he understood why when it was explained to him.
Most people that say this are either kids themselves, or don't have them.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 11:46 AM   #23
Redeemed

Yeah, I agree with this. Parents need to... *wait for it...*

PARENT!!!

They need to monitor what their kids watch, play, listen to, etc. If they don't want that responsibility they shouldn't have had kids. Since they do, be an adult and accept the responsibility.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 11:46 AM   #24
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Most people that say this are either kids themselves, or don't have them.
Or just don't care.

Yep, agreed DD.