Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-10, 08:21 PM   #25
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Window-Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Yeah, I'm feeling it
WINE is kind of a joke IMO. My 5 year old work laptop with Ubuntu 10.04 can't even properly play Starcraft 1. WTF WINE?! Again, gaming is the deal breaker.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 06:28 AM   #26
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
WINE is kind of a joke IMO. My 5 year old work laptop with Ubuntu 10.04 can't even properly play Starcraft 1. WTF WINE?! Again, gaming is the deal breaker.
I don't see why not, it's only a 2D game. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=72

What do you expect though? Just remember that DirectX is closed source and WINE devs have had a hard time getting Windows stuff to work. It's pretty much a guessing game and why it's taken so long to get WINE where it is today.

Now, if you can get MS to hand over the source code for such things, all your games will work.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 06:39 AM   #27
grey_1

Quote:
What version of wine?

I just installed RTCW and shy of having to manually configure the rez and aspect ratio it runs just fine.

I think you broke it six. It's you.

j/k
Old 08-21-10, 07:18 AM   #28
Sean_W

You're not playing RTCW with WINE are you grey_1? You do know there is a native client for Linux?

Latest WINE repos are easy to add http://www.winehq.org/download/

EVE Online is working great for me and so is Oblivion(a few slow downs sometimes but playable).
Old 08-21-10, 07:22 AM   #29
grey_1

Heh, never even thought about the native client LoL.

I did add the latest repos for WINE though, using 1.3 at the moment.

If RTCW bugs out on me later I'll install the native client. This is why I shouldn't touch anything before I'm fully awake.
Old 08-21-10, 07:31 AM   #30
Sean_W

HERE you go.

ETQW is also native to Linux as well.

More native proprietary games and demos http://lin-app.com/category/games

EDIT: Better download LINK
Old 08-21-10, 07:35 AM   #31
grey_1

Thanks Sean - I think I'll have another coffee before touching anything though.

EDIT: Shadowgrounds! Nice!
Old 08-21-10, 08:45 AM   #32
Sean_W

The down side is that these installers use old libs like, gtk1. 32bit libgtk1.2 packages are needed. :/

Old 08-21-10, 11:31 AM   #33
Bearclaw

Quote:
I would agree. It worked alright but not well enough for a 100% OS to replace windows, for me at least.
Old 08-21-10, 11:47 AM   #34
grey_1

Agreed with the above comments, other than WINE being a joke. It's actually a very impressive endeavor that works pretty well for non-gaming related items, but just the fact that they were (are) able to make some work in Linux alone...

The above is a moot point though as gaming isn't my primary, or even secondary reason for using 'nix.
Old 08-21-10, 11:52 AM   #35
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
What version of wine?

I just installed RTCW and shy of having to manually configure the rez and aspect ratio it runs just fine.

I think you broke it six. It's you.

j/k

I used about any and every version available, both stable and nightly releases. It just didn't work right. I even tried to run Linux on my main gaming machine but none of my games ever worked, not to mention that no one online could get them to work either.

I love computers, hence it being my career and hobby, but I just can't get rid of the gaming aspect. Gaming just has to be there for me and Linux doesn't provide the performance/workability.

But again, Linux has its place. I love to use Linux on an old machine for the basic web surfing and office stuff.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 02:15 PM   #36
Sean_W

Linux is good for gaming, depending on your preference. Mainstream games are build for Windows and DirectX of course but for a OS that supposed to have 1% desktop share, it has a good amount of games, plus WINE.

Linux relies on the good will of game developers and there is not that many big time ones that have any good will now days. Linux got the Quake games thanks to idsoftware and Epic gave us UT in till 2004. I'd say that's good going for purely goodwill.

Small studios make Linux games and make a little profit, it's been proven, so there is hope. Though you have to say, Windows users get suckered buying the same crap, year in, year out and bad console ports, cough* EA, Infinity Ward, Rockstar * cough.