Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-10, 10:18 AM   #49
grey_1

Default Re: Window-Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
haha, I did the switch once on my GF. she tried to use the linux, and all I heard was: what is this, your computer is broken.
LOL! That's classic!

My wife actually loves it, but she's nervous using it, mostly from listening to me grumble when an update would break something. I think it's the eye candy she likes. Very sweet looking desktop.
Old 08-23-10, 10:35 AM   #50
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

yeah it was great, haha, I told her It was the new Windows. And yes, she did realize it wasn't Windows.

Another thing, I personally not a big fan of multi-boot. I done it several time, but I just don't like the idea of booting one OS to move files around, lisen to music/surf the internet. And then booting another OS to do some work, work with my digital pictures in photoshop and play games. It's just extra work, getting multiple OSes set up/updated etc...
Old 08-23-10, 10:54 AM   #51
grey_1

Yeah, the multi boot isn't ideal - but right now it's a learning deal for me as I'm running into a few customers here and there who are using linux, and they love it if you can answer a question for them.
Old 08-23-10, 11:08 AM   #52
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Yeah, the multi boot isn't ideal - but right now it's a learning deal for me as I'm running into a few customers here and there who are using linux, and they love it if you can answer a question for them.
same over here, but mostly with OSX, so far I haven't had a single customer that uses Linux at home.

I still need to buid a hackintosh. I did install OSX on my X58/i7 machine, and swap HDD sometimes when I have to. But i would preffer to build a tiny Micro ATX hackintosh and use KVM switch, just to learn how to troubleshoot it better.
Old 08-23-10, 12:51 PM   #53
Sean_W

Quote:
haha, I did the switch once on my GF. she tried to use the linux, and all I heard was: what is this, your computer is broken.
I heard the same, working on the Windows tech support line. Things just work? hahahahahaha

I've got to say though. You set-up someone with an easy distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint and you should never much hear from them again and more often than not it's user error.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 12:54 PM   #54
grey_1

Quote:
same over here, but mostly with OSX, so far I haven't had a single customer that uses Linux at home.

I still need to buid a hackintosh. I did install OSX on my X58/i7 machine, and swap HDD sometimes when I have to. But i would preffer to build a tiny Micro ATX hackintosh and use KVM switch, just to learn how to troubleshoot it better.
I run into quite a few Macs, which I'm not that good at, but mostly they ask questions about "Did I set my wireless router up right?"

The linux users are rare, but for the last few months I've been running into a couple a week, definite trend in the area. I'm no IT and they know it, but it keeps things cool when I can help with basic issues....I ran into a lady the other week (IT director) who loves linux and Mac, she also said it's a trend with her colleagues in the area and that it wouldn't hurt to be more than a little familiar with the basics.
Old 08-23-10, 12:59 PM   #55
Sean_W

Quote:
I run into quite a few Macs, which I'm not that good at, but mostly they ask questions about "Did I set my wireless router up right?"

The linux users are rare, but for the last few months I've been running into a couple a week, definite trend in the area. I'm no IT and they know it, but it keeps things cool when I can help with basic issues....I ran into a lady the other week (IT director) who loves linux and Mac, she also said it's a trend with her colleagues in the area and that it wouldn't hurt to be more than a little familiar with the basics.
It's getting to a point where you need good Linux knowledge if you want to job, especially in servers. I've seen quiet a few jobs that require Linux experience and knowledge which never used to happen much at all.
Old 08-23-10, 01:12 PM   #56
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
It's getting to a point where you need good Linux knowledge if you want to job, especially in servers. I've seen quiet a few jobs that require Linux experience and knowledge which never used to happen much at all.
Yup - most of what I run into is just through general conversation after a job and it usually runs the "What distro you using/having trouble with X" etc, but several were talking about migrating to linux and start asking what I would recommend, thinking I know more than I do. I usually refer them to a consultant, but for personal reasons (possible work one day) I'd love to be able to go more in depth with them.

heh, I just found out not long ago that the company I work for is running Linux (One guy said it was RH, not sure though) in some areas - I never knew that and never would have guessed after talking to some of our IT personnel.

Old 08-23-10, 01:25 PM   #57
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Things just work?.
yap, more often then on linux

all those examples that I listed, what do you do on windows? you install the cd, simply clicking next couple times.

what do you do on linux? you troubleshoot, spend hours on forums, internet looking for vague replys how someone somewhere got it partially working, after installing/messing/setting up numerous apps. and in some cases you won't find a solution, because no one wrote one yet.
Old 08-23-10, 01:28 PM   #58
Sean_W

Quote:
Yup - most of what I run into is just through general conversation after a job and it usually runs the "What distro you using/having trouble with X" etc, but several were talking about migrating to linux and start asking what I would recommend, thinking I know more than I do. I usually refer them to a consultant, but for personal reasons (possible work one day) I'd love to be able to go more in depth with them.

heh, I just found out not long ago that the company I work for is running Linux (One guy said it was RH, not sure though) in some areas - I never knew that and never would have guessed after talking to some of our IT personnel.
Once it gets proper traction in the enterprise and IT areas, then that's when people who never touch Linux might try it at home. Microsoft did the same with Windows, use it at work, why not at home sort of line.
Old 08-23-10, 01:29 PM   #59
Sean_W

Quote:
yap, more often then on linux
I don't think you're qualified to say that here neko, so go back to the Windows forum and believe what you like.
Old 08-23-10, 01:41 PM   #60
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
I don't think you're qualified to say that here neko, so go back to the Windows forum and believe what you like.
if you want to act childish, fine.

i will if, you stay out of windows\gaming etc.. section