Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-25-11, 12:48 PM   #109
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Dragon Age 2 Coming in March 2011 + Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Because it plays like fighting game. Lots of button whacking. Lots of pretty effects and badass animations to oh and ah over. Action and dramatic videos are the main staple of the game. Menus work simple, simple to identify icons and uncomplex controls. It just caters to console type functionality and play.
So to be a PC game, it has to have no pretty effects, horrible animations and be difficult to navigate menus? Good to know. Also, cutscenes and story telling are a terrible thing for a PC game. Never knew.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 12:50 PM   #110
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
So to be a PC game, it has to have no pretty effects, horrible animations and be difficult to navigate menus? Good to know. Also, cutscenes and story telling are a terrible thing for a PC game. Never knew.
Way to totally not understand.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 01:21 PM   #111
Yaboze

To me, a PC game is consolized when the controls favor a gamepad over a mouse/keyboard. Another sign is the lowering or lack of graphics options, like AA/AF, weird resolutions, lack of Vsync, fixed FPS cap, fixed FOV setting, etc.

I did not get a consolized feel from DA2, but I did get a Devil May Cry feel to it. DA had a bit of an old school PC feel to it, but this one feels modernized, simplified but not gutted of choices. Also, inventory and stuff was locked down, so that made it feel even less RPG than it really is.

I'm actually looking forward to it.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 02:11 PM   #112
styles-T
-========-

The graphics and gore are great. I also like the dark feel on the demo map.
What I dont like is the camera control and lack of combat ability. Its all spam and I find my self miss clicking sometimes which makes the camera angle bug out There also seems to be a lot of dialog which I don't like. Almost after every fight they stop and talk instead of just running through a quest.

I didnt like the first DA - I felt it was overrated.
It looks like I'll have to wait for Dungeon Siege 3 and Witcher 2 to feed my RPG appetite.
Old 02-25-11, 05:43 PM   #113
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
To me, a PC game is consolized when the controls favor a gamepad over a mouse/keyboard. Another sign is the lowering or lack of graphics options, like AA/AF, weird resolutions, lack of Vsync, fixed FPS cap, fixed FOV setting, etc.

I did not get a consolized feel from DA2, but I did get a Devil May Cry feel to it. DA had a bit of an old school PC feel to it, but this one feels modernized, simplified but not gutted of choices. Also, inventory and stuff was locked down, so that made it feel even less RPG than it really is.

I'm actually looking forward to it.
I don't really agree about gamepads. I've been PC gaming since 87. I've had a gamepads the while time. It was just easier for most of the early PC platform games.

I kinda get what nekro says about physics. But the character that has the giant sword has lyrium running through is body and he is designed to be one big weapon. Also remember it's an RPG. You can equip a smaller sword if you want…
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 10:50 AM   #114
Blacklash
8^9^3

I don't mind cut scenes, movies and elaborate dialogue however you should always have the option to skip them or forward them. I like when a game allows you to do that via tapping the space bar. If I replay a game I don't usually want to sit through long cut scenes again.

I played the demo and will likely get the game.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 09:06 PM   #115
enoteware
Just Basically Awesome

Is anyone having performance issues with the demo? I am getting terrible framerates and wouldn't expect that with my setup.

NVM! DX11 was on...

TV/Media Center - Panasonic TCP-54G25 Plasma, Pioneer 1021-K Receiver. Klipsch speakers that are too loud for my place. Xbox 360 - PS3 - Apple TV

Facebook
enoteware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 01:16 PM   #116
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Because it plays like fighting game. Lots of button whacking. Lots of pretty effects and badass animations to oh and ah over. Action and dramatic videos are the main staple of the game. Menus work simple, simple to identify icons and uncomplex controls. It just caters to console type functionality and play.
I've played through the demo with each class and not a single one of them felt like I was playing a fighting game. Every other aspect of the game is the same as the first, with the most time spent in the conversation system or in combat. I think you're really reaching here.

My only concerns with the game are the overall quality of the story, the new artwork which looks inferior to the first game, and the dialogue, e.g., "You shall not have him! They shall not have you!" "Well well, what have we here?", etc. Did anyone else cringe at those parts? I'm really concerned that the game's biggest problem will be its writing. Not to mention I'm anticipating a very tiny voice cast outside the main characters, resulting in the "whiny British NPC" character you ran into 500 times in DA:O.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-11, 03:00 AM   #117
crainger

Reviews say the story IS the strongest part, time will tell if that means an epic story or crappy everything else. As for the voice cast. Most were in DA:O, Hawke's actor played a ton of bit parts on DA:O (Can we just call it O now?) So be prepared for more repetition.
Old 03-02-11, 02:17 PM   #118
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Reviews say the story IS the strongest part, time will tell if that means an epic story or crappy everything else. As for the voice cast. Most were in DA:O, Hawke's actor played a ton of bit parts on DA:O (Can we just call it O now?) So be prepared for more repetition.
To be honest I'm finding that reviews are getting less and less helpful in determining whether or not I'll enjoy a game. I hope the game is good though. However I'll probably wait for a little while until I hear feedback from either Giantbomb or some of you guys. Don't think I'll be preordering or playing on release day.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 06:07 AM   #119
crainger

Well I have a pre order. It's out 10th here so I plan to give it a couple of hours after work that day. Hope they do a preload.
Old 03-03-11, 01:09 PM   #120
Vardant

And the console piracy takes the lead, as always...I guess we can at least use their comments to further determine, how much insightful the demo actually was.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote