Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-18-10, 05:47 AM   #1
bones_was_here

Default Various hangs requiring reboot with GTX 275 896MB

There seem to be problems on my machine using pretty well any driver version. I'm currently using 256.35 but it also happens with 256.44. Have also had problems using pre- 256 drivers (195, 190, 185, 180) but I can't use any of those versions now because my current display locks at an eye-burning 100% brightness with pre- 256 series drivers. The display is a 120hz alienware, but the problems used to happen with my previous (60hz) display as well. Have tried using 8x and 16x PCI-E 2.0 slots on several different mainboards (DFI T3eH6, Asus P6T, currently Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 8x slot).

Message signaled interrupts are enabled for the card, but disabling that doesn't help.

I am currently using KDE 4.4.5 with compiz, but the hangs can still occur even using kwin with the composition disabled.

The hangs rarely happen shortly after a reboot, usually it happens after the system has been running for 3-7 days (7 days is pushing it, usually it's already happened by then). The most common trigger seems to be task switching between a game and some other application, this is with both native games like nexuiz and quake 3, and games using wine eg left 4 dead.

I believe it is related, that sometimes a task switch away from a game causes all applications to redraw extremely slowly, sometimes leading to a complete hang, other times switching back to the game is possible and then things continue to run normally.

Also related (I believe), is that after a few days it usually becomes impossible to rmmod nvidia (for example, to change driver versions) even if there have been no problems so far and Xorg has stopped cleanly - the module is allegedly still in use, but ps shows no instances of Xorg.

When the hangs occur, sometimes the mouse cursor can still be moved and switching to a VT might be possible, other times there's no response to any input. However, the system is always still contactable via ssh, and I have observed a number of different strange behaviours when the system is in this state:
  • Xorg is fully utilising one CPU core; this happens pretty much every time
  • kill -9 is required to stop Xorg; again pretty much every time
  • often, it's not possible to rmmod nvidia even when ps shows there are no instances of Xorg (module is apparently still in use)
  • if the module is still in use and I attempt to rmmod -f nvidia, the kernel has an oops and startx fails until after a reboot - but often, after trying to rmmod -f nvidia, the system will hang if I try to reboot and a power cycle is required
  • sometimes it is impossible to kill Xorg, even with repeated signal 9's
  • sometimes the GPU seems to lock up completely, and it isn't even possible to do a chvt (the command just hangs until ^c)
I can't always access another machine to ssh from, I'll try to find a working laptop so I can get a post- crash bug report (or any other info that might be useful) next time it happens.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (63.6 KB, 76 views)
bones_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 04:13 PM   #2
tadawson

Default Re: Various hangs requiring reboot with GTX 275 896MB

For what it's worth, I have almost the exact same problem with the 2.6.xx kernels, pretty much any nvidia driver over the last year or so, and dual 9800GTX+ cards on an Asus M3N-HT motherboard. Oh, and X server is Xorg 1.4.2 . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 07:20 PM   #3
Deanjo

Just personal experience here but this doesn't occur here with a M3N-HT motherboard and MSI GTX-275 (with two other 8800GT's crunching away on openCL tasks) well over a few weeks without need of reboot. It's running KDE 4.5 on openSUSE 11.3 64-bit.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 07:39 PM   #4
bones_was_here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
Just personal experience here but this doesn't occur here with a M3N-HT motherboard and MSI GTX-275 (with two other 8800GT's crunching away on openCL tasks) well over a few weeks without need of reboot. It's running KDE 4.5 on openSUSE 11.3 64-bit.
Hm.. after running for a few weeks, does rmmod nvidia succeed cleanly after shutting down the applications that use the GPU?
Old 08-18-10, 09:41 PM   #5
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_was_here View Post
Hm.. after running for a few weeks, does rmmod nvidia succeed cleanly after shutting down the applications that use the GPU?
Yup, it seems to here.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 07:46 AM   #6
bones_was_here

Currently, my uptime is a little over 8 days, which is rather unusual. However, task switching away from games is currently broken, when I try all rendering hangs for a few seconds until the game suddenly dies (Received signal 11, exiting...) and the Xorg log shows one of these "nvLock: client timed out, taking the lock". I suppose that's better than having to reboot?
Old 09-09-10, 06:27 PM   #7
tswe

Deanjo:

you are running opencl. I have problems with that. question for you I had was, are you using nvidia drivers pre-packaged opensuse RPM from ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse, or are you using the self-extracting and installing NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.53.run file from nvidia as your way of installing the driver?

I have problems with the RPM not allowing me to run OpenCL executables (while compiling them works fine).

thanks
tswe is offline   Reply With Quote