Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-10, 10:32 AM   #1
Vardant

Default PS3 has been hacked

Apparently it's all over the web and seems legit.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 10:40 AM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: PS3 has been hacked

No its not. They are a scam. They are showing the "hack" on a Dev Unit which allows Games to be loaded off the HD or USB Drive. Aswell as run unsigned code. There is no real proof of the system being hacked.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/19/us...etail-backups/

Quote:
Update: The OzModchips video appears to use a debug PS3 system, which has the capability to run unsigned code (including code from a USB drive) and load games from the hard drive without the use of any USB dongle. This doesn't mean that the claims of PSJailbreak's effectiveness are untrue, but it certainly calls them into question. Why use a debug system to prove functionality that already exists in a debug system?
Old 08-19-10, 11:06 AM   #3
Vardant

Oh, I might have put two different reports into one. Team Jungle, that's responsible for X360 drive hacks announced, that they are working on the PS3 BD drive. I thought this was their work too.
Old 08-19-10, 11:08 AM   #4
ViN86

Will that even do anything? I thought the PS3 content protection is completely different from the 360's.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 11:10 AM   #5
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Will that even do anything? I thought the PS3 content protection is completely different from the 360's.
It is. I don't even think sony has a protection on the drives firmware. Think it all has to do with an encryption key.
Old 08-19-10, 11:23 AM   #6
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
It is. I don't even think sony has a protection on the drives firmware. Think it all has to do with an encryption key.
Thats what I thought as well. IIRC, although they were are a long ways away, there is a possibility to decode it with Linux. Hence Sony's decision to remove the support. But the key has not (as far as I know) been touched yet.

Impressive for 4 years.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 03:51 AM   #7
Vardant

Still think it's a scam?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...lbreak-article
Quote:
It's real. Almost four years after its launch, the PlayStation 3's much vaunted security has finally been completely and unequivocally compromised.
Old 08-22-10, 03:56 AM   #8
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Yeah anything u read on the internet is 100% true.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-10, 10:50 AM   #9
LurkerLito

After reading the articles on the "hack" it really doesn't seem much like a hack but a cloned USB service tool that someone copied. The question really becomes is it like the Pandora PSP battery thing where Sony couldn't stop it till a hardware revision took place or is it easily fixable via a simple firmware update.

Honestly, I am just floored that if it is indeed true, no one at Sony didn't "fix" this hardware backdoor after all the PSP pandora stuff happened in the newest models of the PS3. I would have more expected that only older fat models would have allowed it while the newer fat and slim models would have eliminated this backdoor capability.

I am split on my thoughts about the hack. On the one hand I want it cause I'd love to install the discs complete while I am playing them to speed up load times and also would love to see something like XBMC ported over since it is by far the most superior in handling all media file types and subtitles than the standalone boxes I have bought. But on the other hand, piracy is going to be terrible with this if Sony can't patch the firmware to fix it. That will be bad for developers who might want to just pass on porting to the PS3 just because it is hard to program for already and adding a significant amount of piracy of games would make it an unprofitable venture. Some might want to argue that it's the same as the XB360 with the drive firmwares and game devs still release games there, but this is an order of magnitude worse than the XB360. This has no soldering, no opening up the box type work. If this is true, it is Average Joe easy to do level piracy and a very bad thing for the PS3.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 03:01 PM   #10
|MaguS|

First off its still unproven. Digital Foundry goes into detail how they claim it works but never do they state they have seen it in action. No reputable website has claimed to have seen it. And now its studdenly sold out at the retail site... yeah because people will easily pay over $170 for an unconfirmed item.

The funniest thing that proves the original videos complaint is in the DF article.
Quote:
The software side of PSJailbreak is publicly available to download, installs onto a debug PS3 and throws up few surprises.
They have not shown this software to be running on a retail unit, only debug which already have the ability to run unsigned code.
Old 08-22-10, 04:18 PM   #11
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
yeah because people will easily pay over $170 for an unconfirmed item.
If Apple sold it, they would.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 02:31 AM   #12
Vardant

They need to make money quickly, because it's only a matter of weeks till the flash drive is gonna get copied.

I don't think it's even that sudden, because even in the Digital Foundry article it says, that they claim to have tested over 170 games. The PSP hack has also been tested for a few months before being released to public.

The software part is available, but the rest should be on the flash drive, that basically turns every PS3 into a debug one.