Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-10, 01:38 AM   #1
dbay85

Default Hey guys, having some PC issues here

Hey guys, new user here and thought this would be a nice place to share my issue(s) here. I bought a used PC from a friend of mine for a couple hundred. He took out his hard drive and left everything else alone. I thought it was a decent deal for $200.

Here are my specs:

MOBO: ASUS A8N32 SLI-DELUXE SKT 939
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4400+
HD: 120GB Seagate
Video Card: 256MB Nvidia 7950 GT
Memory: 1024MB Corsaire ValueRAM

The problem is, when I first bought the PC, it turned on fine, booted fine. After letting it sit for a while so I could pick up a used hard drive (which I did) for some reason the PC powers on, the CPU fan runs for not even a second and the whole thing powers off.

I downloaded the manual for the mobo off the asus website to try and see if maybe the jumpers got messed up or loose. What could be the problem? I booted the PC without video card, memory, etc. Then re-installed the hardware one piece after another and booted each time and it worked fine. So after leaving the PC in my closet for a week all of a sudden it won't stay on?

So is this a jumper issue or is the motherboard fried? The light on the mobo is a solid green when it does turn on though... The pwr supply fan does spin so I don't think it's an issue with the psu.
dbay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 02:13 AM   #2
dbay85

Default Re: Hey guys, having some PC issues here

Haha never mind I just figured it out. It's always the littlest thing when you try to diagnose PC issues.

I tried messing with jumpers, tried different PSU, did everything I could think of to no avail but then thought I'd check the ram as a last resort.

Turns out the ram sticks were backwards!! Lol.

All is working well now
dbay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 06:17 AM   #3
AthlonXP1800

Here is no way to install RAM backward, it wont be fit in. DDR RAM have total of 184 pins on on front and back, it spilted 80 pins on left and 104 pins on right side. No way to jammed 104 pins into 80 pins side of DIMM socket.

You are lucky that the memory sticks are not damaged.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 08:03 AM   #4
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Very interesting indeed.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 01:51 PM   #5
Yaboze

I have never heard of something like that happening, ever.

Glad it's working though.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 01:51 PM   #6
JasonPC

I assume he means backwards as in put the ram into slots 3 and 4 rather than 1 and 2? I hope.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 03:18 PM   #7
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
I assume he means backwards as in put the ram into slots 3 and 4 rather than 1 and 2? I hope.
Maybe he means they were in upside down....
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 03:27 PM   #8
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

I'm pleased for you ......... be careful though as pc components have a habit of breaking in noob hands, no insult intended but just a fact.

read loads and look at stuff in detail ,figure it out before you lay a finger on it.

good luck.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-10, 03:28 PM   #9
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post

Here is no way to install RAM backward, it wont be fit in. DDR RAM have total of 184 pins on on front and back, it spilted 80 pins on left and 104 pins on right side. No way to jammed 104 pins into 80 pins side of DIMM socket.

You are lucky that the memory sticks are not damaged.
Oh it's doable with enough force.

I've seen the burned out ram and motherboards in person enough to know that.

Usually what the idiots do is push so hard the board bends a bit and the clips click into place, then turn it on and proceed to fry the ram. You'll usually find a burn mark that corresponds with where the notch was if you hold the ram backwards.
Old 08-20-10, 07:42 PM   #10
=assassin=

I still can't see how it is possible myself O.o not without seriously damaging the RAM slot at least.
=assassin= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 02:04 AM   #11
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Well another thing too, the person may not realize the memory isnt inserted all the way. If the locking tabs are touching the sides and the memory isn't falling out, someone might assume it is fully inserted. From my experience, even when inserted correctly, sometimes memory requires a stupid amount of force to get that last cm for the clips to dig into the holes.