Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-10, 08:18 PM   #13
gerardfraser

Default Re: Gtx 480 as primary sound card FTW.

Well I not going to call you guys names and stuff.
gerardfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 08:23 PM   #14
gerardfraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
GF100 GPUs(GTX 480, 470, 465) have a built-in HD audio processor like the GT21x GPUs(210, GT 220, 240) that outputs 8 channel LPCM, supports 24bit 192kHz output.

GF104/106/108 GPUs also have a built-in HD audio processor with 8 channel LPCM output but also has the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA straight to the receiver without decoding it first, instead letting the receiver do the decoding.

The onboard audio on your motherboard is totally unused, it is not processing anything because the HD audio processor in the GPU does it. Please don't spread misinformation, gerardfraser.
Well I am going to turn off me onboard sound and try this.
Spread misinformatiom LOL
Old 08-27-10, 08:34 PM   #15
DSC

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...the-200-king/4

Quote:
With a $199 MSRP and 150W TDP, the 768MB GTX 460 is also the first card to be of a suitable design for HTPC use. Although we don’t expect very many GTX 460s to be used for that (rather it would be for the unannounced GF106) NVIDIA is already putting plans in to motion for HTPC cards. The GTX 460 will offer full bitstreaming audio capabilities, something the GF100 GPU powering the other GTX 400 series cards could not do. This means that the GTX 460 will be able to bitstream DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD along with the 8 channel LPCM audio capabilities supported by the previous GTX 400 series cards.
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 09:39 PM   #16
gerardfraser

Speaking of audio, let’s quickly discuss the audio/video capabilities of the GTX 400 series. GF100 has the same audio/video capabilities as the 40nm GT 200 series launched late last year, so this means NVIDIA’s VP4 for video decoding (H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1/MPEG-4 ASP) and internal passthrough for audio. Unfortunately the latter means that the GTX 400 series (and other first-generation Fermi derivatives) won’t be able to match AMD’s Radeon 5000 series in audio capabilities – NVIDIA can do compressed lossy audio(DD/DTS) and 8 channel uncompressed LPCM, but not lossless compressed audio formats such as DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. This leaves the HTPC crown safely in AMD’s hands for now.

LOL
http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/...orth-the-wait-
Old 08-27-10, 09:58 PM   #17
Bearclaw

Ok, just got a GTX 470 and wondering exactly how to go about this. I use HDMI to go from GTX 470 to my monitor but how should I hook up the speakers? The HDMI goes into the monitor so where do the speakers come into play?
Old 08-27-10, 10:37 PM   #18
turdhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
They are passing their audio files over hdmi to let their decoders handle the digital to analog conversion. An excellent method for music, worthless for games because you need the sound card to render 3d audio.
Not true man. Getting full 5.1 discreet surround in every game I have tried. Have not tried and games older than 3 or 4 years so I cant say about those. Well i do get surround in WOW. Dirt 2 says it is in software mode but I can tell you that surround is working. It is very obvious and it sounds amazing. I think bass response is way more accurate, tight and not so boomy. I think the X-FI "colored" the sound quite a bit adding its own thing to what ever you pass through it. I dont like that.
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 10:40 PM   #19
turdhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Ok, just got a GTX 470 and wondering exactly how to go about this. I use HDMI to go from GTX 470 to my monitor but how should I hook up the speakers? The HDMI goes into the monitor so where do the speakers come into play?
You have to have a home theater receiver in the mix. You run the hdmi out of comp to receiver and out of receiver in to display. The receiver does all the decoding. In some cases this offers you additional picture tweaking options as well as a lot of new HDMI home theater receivers have on screen controls and can process the signal passing through it. Optional of course as bypass mode just makes the receiver act as an hdmi repeater and decodes the audio. I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 254. Incredible sound, powerful, loud and now cheap. Dont let the low wattage rating fool you. Harmon Kardon rates in true RMS wattage. a 50w HK will kill a 600w RCA.
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
Old 08-27-10, 10:48 PM   #20
turdhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardfraser View Post
Speaking of audio, let’s quickly discuss the audio/video capabilities of the GTX 400 series. GF100 has the same audio/video capabilities as the 40nm GT 200 series launched late last year, so this means NVIDIA’s VP4 for video decoding (H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1/MPEG-4 ASP) and internal passthrough for audio. Unfortunately the latter means that the GTX 400 series (and other first-generation Fermi derivatives) won’t be able to match AMD’s Radeon 5000 series in audio capabilities – NVIDIA can do compressed lossy audio(DD/DTS) and 8 channel uncompressed LPCM, but not lossless compressed audio formats such as DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. This leaves the HTPC crown safely in AMD’s hands for now.

LOL
Yes true. Only matters if your using a blueray player as those are the only media that use the two new codecs. However LPCM wins hands down. No compression. I have a PS3 for blueray and handles those codecs. They do sound amazing. The new Porcupine Tree live concert is available in DTS master HD and it sounds just amazing.
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w

Old 08-27-10, 11:43 PM   #21
gerardfraser

Thank you for the reply.I was wondering about the blueray stuff.
Old 08-28-10, 08:03 AM   #22
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdhat View Post
You have to have a home theater receiver in the mix. You run the hdmi out of comp to receiver and out of receiver in to display. The receiver does all the decoding. In some cases this offers you additional picture tweaking options as well as a lot of new HDMI home theater receivers have on screen controls and can process the signal passing through it. Optional of course as bypass mode just makes the receiver act as an hdmi repeater and decodes the audio. I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 254. Incredible sound, powerful, loud and now cheap. Dont let the low wattage rating fool you. Harmon Kardon rates in true RMS wattage. a 50w HK will kill a 600w RCA.
Got it, thanks. I knew there had to be a step in there I was missing.
Old 08-28-10, 09:13 AM   #23
sharangad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardfraser View Post

LOL
That's only true for the GTX 480 and GTX470. THe GTX460 can bitstream lossless audio codecs as can be seen in the following thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1262246

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...the-200-king/4

"With a $199 MSRP and 150W TDP, the 768MB GTX 460 is also the first card to be of a suitable design for HTPC use. Although we don’t expect very many GTX 460s to be used for that (rather it would be for the unannounced GF106) NVIDIA is already putting plans in to motion for HTPC cards. The GTX 460 will offer full bitstreaming audio capabilities, something the GF100 GPU powering the other GTX 400 series cards could not do. This means that the GTX 460 will be able to bitstream DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD along with the 8 channel LPCM audio capabilities supported by the previous GTX 400 series cards. This brings NVIDIA up to par with AMD, who has offered bitstreaming on the entire range of Radeon HD 5000 series cards."
sharangad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 12:18 PM   #24
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11
Cool Re: Gtx 480 as primary sound card FTW.

Thats the audio setup on my computer. I have a GTX460, it's very nice and you can spout out technical stuff all you want, I know the technical stuff, I also have first hand experience setting it up.

Oh by the way, 5.1 surround sound FFXIV benchmark is only 2-channel using my onboard S/PDIF connection but going through the HDMI on the GTX460 it's full 5.1 channel. It has something to do with the fact that unless the program takes control of the audio in Windows 7 it will allow Windows to control it. But by allowing the signal to pass through as bit-stream through Linear PCM I get the full 5.1 surround sound affect. Now if the game only supports 2-channels then I only get two channels though.

Lets just put it this way, if you got a HDMI reciever and a GTX460 you'd be dumb not to use it. It's 10x better than onboard audio, hell it's better than most stand alone sound cards.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote