Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-26-03, 02:12 PM   #1
xiphmont

Send a message via AIM to xiphmont
Default Is there a way to disable pci retries?

Having read up on my audio problem (which is being experienced by others across the net) it seems the likely cause for audio going to hell with any rendering to the PCI card is the combination of a bus-mastering card and the driver relying on PCI reties to grab the card the second the fifo becomes non-full... and locking down the entire PCI bus to wait with it when it does. ...starving every other latency-critical device on the bus.

Video is not the point of this machine; audio is. I can't afford to blow out my ears when editing. I'd also never be able to use this machine for sampling.

Is there a way to disable PCI retries in the nVidia driver? Or at least have the driver check on fifo status before blasting large screen updates out to the card?

If not, it's back to the free 'nv' and a driver I can hack myself. I beg you to save me the weeks of work, as this is a *requirement* for a working audio editing machine.

Andy, volt, please answer, this is a simple question.

Monty
xiphmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-03, 06:45 PM   #2
xiphmont

Send a message via AIM to xiphmont
Default Re: Is there a way to disable pci retries?

Oh, and it goes without saying that an answer that solves the latency isses will get you folks nominated for sainthood ;-) I seem to recall the Windows drivers do have this option hidden but accessible, I can only hope the Linux drivers do too...

Monty
xiphmont is offline   Reply With Quote