Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Solaris

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-31-10, 08:20 PM   #1
LuminousMonkey

Default OpenSolaris b134 - X Server lockup

G'day,

Just like to submit a bug.

Triple monitor setup, with two 460s.

Each display setup as a separate screen with Xinerama enabled. Monitors are arranged physically as

2, 1, 3

1 is the DVI port closest to the HDMI port on card 1, 2 is the remaining DVI port on the card, with monitor 3 being on the other card.

Problem is that when configured as above, if the cursor is ever moved onto monitor 2, Xorg will hang. I am able log into the machine remotely and run the nvidia bug report (as attached).

When TwinView with Xinerama is enabled, there are no issues.

I will try a few more tests to see if I can provide some more details on the problem.

This seems to affect both 256.52 and the older 256.44. However, as I'm writing this, I have found that the 256.53 drivers are available. I will check with these, and hopefully provide more details.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-vivi-bug-report.log.gz (33.1 KB, 318 views)
LuminousMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:16 PM   #2
LuminousMonkey

Default Re: OpenSolaris b134 - X Server lockup

During the course of updating to the new 256.53 drivers, I realised I didn't uninstall the NVDAgraphicsr package as well. So with installing the new 256.53 drivers I made sure that both packages were removed, and installed the new 256.53 drivers.

This still hasn't fixed the problem, everything will work fine, I can move a window onto monitor 2, just as long as I don't move the cursor onto the monitor.

When I do move the cursor onto monitor two, the display locks up, and the cursor flickers. I have also noticed that the cursor also shows up at the same position on monitor three, flickering also. (Pictures attached).

Trying: "svcsadm refresh gdm", or "svcsadm restart gdm" have no affect, did not try "svcsadm disable gdm" however.

I've also included another bug report, this time with the 256.53 drivers. I also ran truss on the Xorg process, and I've attached that as well.

If anyone knows what else I could do to provide more detail on the problem, please let me know and I'll try my best to provide it.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor-2-left.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	41030  Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor-3-right.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	41031  
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-vivi-bug-report.log.gz (33.4 KB, 309 views)
File Type: gz Xorg.truss.gz (90.0 KB, 310 views)
Old 09-02-10, 07:01 PM   #3
LuminousMonkey

I've downloaded the DTrace toolkit, just trying to provide more info on the problem, and maybe find out if it's an Nvidia issue, or if it's Xorg.

I've run the hotuser script on the Xorg process, along with hotkernel, and finally dapptrace on Xorg, which I've attached.

Sometimes, if I kill the Xorg process it will restart and give me the GDM prompt and I can log in again (as long as I keep the cursor off my left screen I'm fine).

But some other times if I kill Xorg I get a corrupt screen (see picture attached), and I have to restart.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	killed_xorg_screen.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	41051  
Attached Files
File Type: gz hotuser_xorg_cursor_hang.txt.gz (2.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: gz hotkernel_xorg_cursor_hang.txt.gz (2.3 KB, 321 views)
File Type: bz2 dapptrace_xorg_cursor_hang.txt.bz2 (78.2 KB, 317 views)
Old 09-22-10, 06:54 PM   #4
LuminousMonkey

Just a little bit more info.

I've just installed the latest Solaris 10, and there's no issues at all with three screens and the Nvidia drivers. So it appears the problem has something to do with OpenSolaris.