Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-22-10, 07:50 PM   #1
seaweed

Default System memory/resource leak with repeated vdpau based h264 decode

Hi,
I am using an ION platform running ubuntu 9.10 and driver version 256.35 to decode an H.264 encoded file repeatedly, running top shows the total system memory used creeping up slowly at a rate of about 8 meg per 15 minutes or so. I suspect that this is being chewed up by XOrg although I cant say for sure. I also tested with mplayer VDPAU patched version 4789364 and the results are the same. Without any video playing, the total system memory looks to be stable. I updated xorg-server package and current version is 2:1.6.4-2ubuntu4.3. Has anybody else seen this problem?

Thanks
seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 03:13 AM   #2
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Default Re: System memory/resource leak with repeated vdpau based h264 decode

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
I also tested with mplayer VDPAU patched version 4789364 and the results are the same.
Are you really sure that this is latest svn? ;-)

If your sample is a transport stream, you have to use -demuxer lavf, -demuxer mpegts eats memory.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 08:02 PM   #3
seaweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
Are you really sure that this is latest svn? ;-)

If your sample is a transport stream, you have to use -demuxer lavf, -demuxer mpegts eats memory.

Carl Eugen
Hi Carl, I just did the quick test with mplayer to see if it happens with mplayer as well, so no I haven't tried the latest mplayer build. Also since I am rendering on multiple child windows, I am seeing much more memory leaks compared to mplayer. BTW valgrind doesnt report any memory leak in my code, so the memory leak that I am talking about probably happens in kernel / possibly due to bugs in glx. After a few days of continuous running, everything become very sluggish. Looks like other people has experienced also.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478329
http://numberedhumanindustries.wordp...fedoras-fault/
http://us.generation-nt.co/help/bug+...s+nv+xaa+c/?or
Old 07-28-10, 11:36 AM   #4
Stephen Warren

seaweed,

You don't mention what application you're seeing this problem in. Is it a custom application?

When you see the repro in MPlayer, can you describe your display configuration, and also provide a bug report? You mentioned that Xorg grows in size. Do you have a compositing manager active? Xorg shouldn't be involved if not. If you do, could you try disabling it, and seeing if that solves the problem?

Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 01:23 PM   #5
seaweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
seaweed,

You don't mention what application you're seeing this problem in. Is it a custom application?

When you see the repro in MPlayer, can you describe your display configuration, and also provide a bug report? You mentioned that Xorg grows in size. Do you have a compositing manager active? Xorg shouldn't be involved if not. If you do, could you try disabling it, and seeing if that solves the problem?

Thanks.
Hi Stephen, Its a custom app that uses multiple threads to do the VDPAU based decode and render - coupled with ffmpeg (LGPL,dynamically linked). In earlier version I tried to do it with texture from pixmap / GLX and use GL to render multiple windows, but because of performance reason I ditched that and now render decoded video directly into multiple child windows. I disable compiz, this problem still happens after 3/4 days. Well Xorg is used because I request multiple child windows from x server and create multiple prsentation queues from them and run a sequence of these repeatedly in 10 second interval. I am now recompiling the latest version of x server - hopefully this is resolved in version 1.8. I hope the latest nvidia driver will compile along with it.
Old 08-05-10, 05:12 PM   #6
Stephen Warren

seaweed, sorry for the slow response. I'll try to repro the issue today or tomorrow.

Note: I took a look at those links you posted. I don't think any of them are relevant to this issue. The first link seems to be a random "I think have a memory leak" post, and I didn't see any particular common source nor mention of the NVIDIA driver. The 2nd is a core X server issue outside of NVIDIA's control. The 3rd is just a list of bugs from a search, and I think the first entry is the same thing as your 2nd link, and the others didn't seem related.
Old 08-06-10, 10:18 AM   #7
Stephen Warren

seaweed, I believe I've repro'd your problem; on my ION using MPlayer, /proc/meminfo's MemFree went from ~600M to ~300M overnight.

Can you confirm the following:
* Using xrandr or nvidia-settings to change your video resolution doesn't free the leaked memory.
* What about if you VT-switch away?
* What about if you log out of X?
* Killing the X server does free the leaked memory.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-10, 08:09 AM   #8
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
on my ION using MPlayer, /proc/meminfo's MemFree went from ~600M to ~300M overnight.
Command line (including explicit demuxer specification) or complete, uncut output missing (-demuxer mpegts is eating memory completely independent of VDPAU).

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-10, 10:56 AM   #9
Stephen Warren

Carl, the test I performed ran MPlayer for about 2 seconds at a time, and then exited MPlayer and restarted it completely. This isn't a memory leak in MPlayer.
Old 08-27-10, 02:07 PM   #10
Stephen Warren

seaweed,

What desktop environment are you using (and please can you supply a bug report which will include e.g. OS details etc.)? I believe I repro'd your problem under Gnome. However, the problem also repros simply running xclock or glxgears for 1s at a time many times. Finally, it didn't repro on a bare X server. Can you try you application running just plain X and maybe a simple window manager and see if your problem goes away?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-10, 05:02 PM   #11
seaweed

Quote:
seaweed, I believe I've repro'd your problem; on my ION using MPlayer, /proc/meminfo's MemFree went from ~600M to ~300M overnight.

Can you confirm the following:
* Using xrandr or nvidia-settings to change your video resolution doesn't free the leaked memory.
Yes

Quote:
* What about if you VT-switch away?
By VT did you mean "workspace" in gnome? In that case no it doesn't cleanup the memory

Quote:
* What about if you log out of X?
doesn't cleanup the memory

Quote:
* Killing the X server does free the leaked memory.
I am confused about this one, the behaviour I am seeing with my app is when I kill X server, the free memory goes up by a moderate amount but when X is run again, free memory goes down to the level before X was killed - which means it doesn't free the leaked memory (if it did, the free memory would've been the same as when X started the very first time and app wasn't running)

By the way, driver version 256.53 fixes a kernel memory leak, is that anyway related to what we are seeing?
Old 09-02-10, 07:18 PM   #12
seaweed

Quote:
seaweed,

What desktop environment are you using (and please can you supply a bug report which will include e.g. OS details etc.)? I believe I repro'd your problem under Gnome. However, the problem also repros simply running xclock or glxgears for 1s at a time many times.

Thanks.
Ubuntu 9.10 with gnome, linux kernel 64 bit, version: 2.6.31-20,
xorg version : xorg-server 2:1.6.5+git20091107+server-1.6-branch.2dbcb06a-0ubuntu0sarvatt~karmic
NVIDIA Driver version: 256.44

I ran the following script for about an hour

#!/bin/bash

while true; do
glxgears -fullscreen &
sleep 2
xkill -id $(xwininfo -name glxgears | grep "Window id" | cut -d' ' -f4)
done

Here is the results:

before running script, with x running (all in MB):

used : free: total:
44480 1494828 1539308

After running script, with x running :

544201 995107 1539308

After exiting to console:

544201 995107 1539308

After killing X:

454201 1085107 1539308

After restarting X:

507776 1031532 1539308

Quote:
Finally, it didn't repro on a bare X server. Can you try you application running just plain X and maybe a simple window manager and see if your problem goes away?
I will do it but I don't think this is an issue, I will confirm
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (41.6 KB, 64 views)