Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-03, 12:31 AM   #13
Andy Mecham
l33t master

I've been out the past few days, but I did take another look at this before I left - i'm not able to reproduce. Can you please attach a screenshot showing what you're seeing?

--andy
Old 08-04-03, 05:24 AM   #14
capybara

I had to downgrade to the 2960 drivers to get DVI working at all on my GeForce3 Ti 200. Now I'm running at 1280x1024, 75.0 Hz and can play DVDs with ogle. I get no jaggies - the video looks great! Maybe the later drivers break DVI in different ways for different people? Do the 2960 drivers work for you?

Let's reserve the Fs for companies with no drivers at all. But if they aren't giving Andy overtime pay to help us out here, they do deserve a pretty low grade.
capybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-03, 01:50 PM   #15
puterguy

Andy, I responded to your screenshot request on the actual thread itself.

My sense is that we should continue our conversation there for the benefit of the several dozen people or so who have been following the thread for the past 8 months.

Thanks!!!
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB PC2700 DDR Kingston
Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 4600 128MB with VIVO/TVO
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
puterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 01:39 AM   #16
puterguy

I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied and cynical with nVidia Linux support.

I first started this purposely provocative thread after receiving no response to multiple postings about a fundamental nVidea bug verified by multiple other users. In fact, this thread is still one of the top 10 threads on the list.

The thread succeeded in getting nVidia's attention. Andy Mecham, responded to the thread apologizing for "a breakdown in communications" and asking for some screenshots to verify the problem. He further wrote "Please PM me again, and we'll take it from there. I'm sorry that you've become so frustrated over this."
"

I naively believed him and PM'd him with the requested info, but never heard back. In fact, it has been more than 2 months and nVidia is still silent.

I now believe that an nVidia rep only responded on this thread to appear to be helpful and to counter the negativity of the thread title. As soon as this thread subsided, nVidia too disappeared...

Please prove my cynicism wrong... until then, my "F" grade stands!!!
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 10-08-03, 02:14 AM   #17
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher
Default Re: nVidia gets an "F" for Linux support

Quote:
Originally posted by puterguy

Over the past 6+ months,
-- I have repeatedly submitted bug reports to nVidia
-- I and many others have kept going a long running thread on this issue in which we have characterized the exact conditions causing the bug(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...pthreadid=6177)
-- I have sent Andy Meechem multiple PMs asking him for some response on this issue.

Again, not only has nVidia not fixed the bug, they have not even acknowledged its existence or responded to any of the bug reports. Why does it take 6+ months to get even a simple reply such as "we know this is a problem and we are (or are not) going to be addressing it". Simple courtesy would indicate that such reports deserve at least a form letter response.
Maybe because people like you send multiple reports for the same bug and skew their priorities? They're probably busy fixing something else that a handful of other users submitted multiple times.

Edit: And please specify what kind of video causes the 'jaggies.' If it's DVDs, I often find 'jaggies' to be caused mostly by a player that's not in ultra dma mode.

Last edited by Soul-Crusher; 10-08-03 at 02:19 AM.
Soul-Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 08:27 AM   #18
puterguy

> Maybe because people like you send multiple reports for the same bug
> and skew their priorities? They're probably busy fixing something else
> that a handful of other users submitted multiple times.

If you took the time to *read* the relevant thread, you would see that multiple users are affected. Also, if a bug is not even acknowledge over the course of 10 months, I hardly think it is unreasonable to re-submit the request in the hopes that maybe someone would finally wake up over at nVidia. Believe me, if I had received even a one line response saying, we received your request and are looking into it based on prioritization, then there would be no need to resubmit.

> Edit: And please specify what kind of video causes the 'jaggies.' If it's
> DVDs, I often find 'jaggies' to be caused mostly by a player that's not
> in ultra dma mode.

Perhaps next time, you will have the courtesy to actuall *read* the thread rather than reflexively spouting off. The thread starts off with a link to the well-documented problem (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/sho...hpthreadid=6177). Also, as *clearly* documented in the thread, the problem affects mulitple video formats played off of any media (e.g., hard-drive, DVD). BTW, why are you more interested in slavishly defending nVidia rather than in responding to the issues documented here?
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 10-08-03, 12:40 PM   #19
DrCode

Dealing with bugs like this isn't easy. The software developer likely tried to reproduce it, but wasn't able to.

Perhaps Nvidia should provide support to open-source developers so that they can develop the drivers. It's not that open-source programmers are necessarily better, but it would provide opportunities for a much larger number of people to test and debug problems like this.
DrCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 12:59 PM   #20
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Quote:
If you took the time to *read* the relevant thread, you would see that multiple users are affected.
Of course, but that doesn't mean that it's important enough to take priority over another bug. Especially when it's as trivial as something like what the original author described, when there are people whose machines are locking up or not even starting X.

His problem is not that important, and certainly not worth wasting the time of nVidia engineers who have to drudge through his multiple reports (And ignore them until a later date).

Quote:
Also, as *clearly* documented in the thread, the problem affects mulitple video formats played off of any media (e.g., hard-drive, DVD).
Maybe he needs to turn ultra dma on for his hard disk as well?

Quote:
BTW, why are you more interested in slavishly defending nVidia rather than in responding to the issues documented here?
Because:
1) I'd say that at least half the "bugs" reported here are user-error such as people not configuring X correctly (Hence why I put my XF86Config file in my signature).
2) I've used nVidia drivers version 12xx to 44xx for everything from an old TNT2U to a GeForce FX 5900 and it's always worked reliably when properly configured. I've also been testing nVidia drivers on countless motherboards, all sorts starting from the 440BX chipset.
3) I'm sick of people who think they're l33t and downplay nVidia's efforts when they're doing a damn fine job of creating a quality driver, especially people whose problems probably don't have anything to do with the video card driver.
4) I love Linux and think it can be a great OS for anyone, but when you opt out of professional installation you take responsibility to make sure everything is configured correctly before going off and reporting what you think is a bug.
5) You think nVidia's bad? Try reporting the next "bug" you find to the Mplayer team, or the Linux Kernel Mailing List for that matter.
6) Being a BIOS developer, I know there are tons and tons of bugs for nVidia to work around with things like APM and ACPI, especially when it comes to VIA chipsets which unfortunately are the best selling in the world.
7) The link to your "well documented bug" is broken.

Old 10-08-03, 01:06 PM   #21
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Quote:
Originally posted by DrCode
Dealing with bugs like this isn't easy. The software developer likely tried to reproduce it, but wasn't able to.
Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally posted by DrCode
Perhaps Nvidia should provide support to open-source developers so that they can develop the drivers. It's not that open-source programmers are necessarily better, but it would provide opportunities for a much larger number of people to test and debug problems like this.
Can't argue with that, but it's not going to happen, sadly.
Old 10-08-03, 01:50 PM   #22
puterguy

Soul-Crusher -- get a clue and read the original thread so that you know what the heck you are talking about.

If you read the original thread, you would realize that the bug has been extensively characterized over the past 10 months. We are *way* beyond the stage of this being due to trivial configuration issues such as ultra-DMA or XF86Config file issues. Your naivete here is hilarious -- the troubleshooting we have collectively done makes your suggestions ridiculous.

Your comments on bug prioritization are equally absurd. No one questions the right (and indeed duty) of nVidia to prioritize bug fixes in the way they see fit.

At the same time, their failure to even respond with the most perfunctory of acknowledgements ("such as: thanks for the bug report... it is in our queue... we will investigate it within the next x months) merits my grading them an "F" for Linux customer service.

Your excuse that they are too busy working on "major" bugs like "machines are locking up or not even starting X" makes me wonder whether perhaps an "F" is too generous. Such fatal bugs are almost tantemount to non-existent Linux support. Good Linux support to me means that major bugs are non-existent or rapidly stamped out, leaving an ample support team to address any remaining less fatal bugs (such as the one I identified).

So the grade stands! Stop whining about your bad grade and let's start thinking more constructively about how nVidia can improve its customer service.

The rest of your whining basically reduces to the following self-centered syllogism:
- Many people on this board are clueless about how to configure X
- I never have had any problems with nVidia drivers
- Therefore either you are clueless about configuring X or you have no
right to complain and nVidia has no obligation to even acknowledge your
bug reports.

Here is the link again:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.phps=
79d2c54809c7744436eda7c45c364e34&threadid=6177
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 10-08-03, 01:52 PM   #23
pe1chl

Quote:
To get the "bug", you need to be using DVI (digital) inputs to the LCD screen. Also, you need to have the refresh set at a speed higher than 60Hz.
That is generally an unwise thing to do.
"refresh" on an LCD screen has a different meaning than on a CRT. It determines the number of times a new frame is sent to the LCD, but not the "screen flicker" as on a CRT.

Try running Windows on the machine. You will probably be unable to select a refresh higher than 60Hz.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 01:57 PM   #24
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Gee I'd love to read your well documented "bug" report, but your second link is ALSO BROKEN.

No wonder Andy hasn't been able to fix your problem. Simply ignoring you was the nicest thing he could've done.

PS--If you think nVidia service is rotten, I suggest trying a Radeon